Orientation

<p>Hi i this is my first post!</p>

<p>I will be attending alabama in the fall on the presidential scholarship, and had a few questions.</p>

<p>So the orientation is in june for honors students, it will end up costing me about $750 to attend, which is my laptop guys!</p>

<p>I was wondering if it is possible to register for classes/become quickly oriented with campus without visiting. I will be moving in on august 18, so i figure on 3 days to move in and orient myself.</p>

<p>I noticed the registration in student services, but my friend told me you have to go to the orientation to register as a freshman.</p>

<p>I may also have problems because I will be attending with 30 credits from ap tests which waive prereqs, but since i wont get the scores til july (i will pass them all haha) i cannot prove that i received the scores i need. I will be posting a couple of other questions, so any help is greatly appreciated!</p>

<p>You MUST attend a Bama Bound. You can sign up for the 8/19 orientation and do move in, orientation and course sign ups at the same time.</p>

<p>You could attend one of the final freshman days to avoid making two trips to campus. Scheduling may be a bit trickier as you will be limited to what’s available when you register but I’m sure you could put something reasonable together. </p>

<p>[Dates</a> - Bama Bound Orientation - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://orientation.ua.edu/dates/]Dates”>http://orientation.ua.edu/dates/)</p>

<p>With respect to your AP credits, even before you know your scores you can get an override to register for classes for which AP credit will fulfill a prerequisite. You would do that with an advisor at Bama Bound; it’s not uncommon. If you get the required grade on the AP test, all is well. If not, you’ll just have to drop the class for which AP credit was a prerequisite.</p>

<p>The override wouldn’t be necessary if you attend the Bama Bound session after your August move-in. As previously mentioned, your choices may be a bit more limited, but Bama holds back seats in classes typically taken by freshmen so that there are some at each Bama Bound session. My D went to a Bama Bound session in late May last year, but at her Bama Bound, only 3 seats in the English composition class she wanted were made available. The rest were trickled out over the course of the summer at subsequent Bama Bound sessions. If you’re taking upper level courses, it may be a different story. </p>

<p>If money is tight, the August Bama Bound is a good alternative to going in June.</p>

<p>I am looking at a triple major in finance econ and polisci, or a finance econ major with minor in spanish and polisci.</p>

<p>Looks like ill have to convince my parents to cough up the money haha.</p>

<p>Is it worth taking the classes to graduate from the honors college? Also, is it worth staying in the honors dorms? I signed up for my freshman year but at $4700 i am considering relocating after freshman year.</p>

<p>What did you declare as your primary major? If finance or economics, you’ll be in the Culverhouse College of Commerce and Business Administration (CBA) and if political science, you’ll be in the College of Arts and Sciences (A&S). Each college has different rules, course requirements, and departmental scholarships.</p>

<p>Where are you coming to UA from? Parents/siblings don’t need to come to Bama Bound or move in if money is tight/they have other plans/they don’t want to go. Plenty of students attend Bama Bound right before classes start and move in by themselves.</p>

<p>Remember too that your scholarship does not cover course fees, which often cost $300 per semester. </p>

<p>A good laptop can be had for under $500 if you pay attention to what specs you need/want and shop the back to school sales. College students often get additional discounts during these sales. </p>

<p>I found it very worthwhile to graduate from the University Honors Program as the 18 hour requirement is relatively easy to accomplish while completing core curriculum requirements at the same time. Benefits such as priority registration are very useful and the Honors College helps facilitate a lot of cool opportunities.</p>

<p>Most students move off campus after their freshman year either to save money or because they were not able ton recontract for off-campus housing. You could live in a non-honors dorm your first year to save money if you so desire. The honors dorms will cost $4700 PER SEMESTER (that part confuses a lot of students and their families) during the 2013-2014 academic year.</p>

<p>I understand how college is expensive for most people and that money will be tight, but sometimes one needs to spend a little more money for their personal happiness. Be sure to allow for some discretionary funds in your budget.</p>