Orientation

<p>Im going to orientation later this week and i wanted to make sure i was fully prepared. What all should i bring and already know before i get there? Also right now im planning on computer engineering but may change later.</p>

<p>If you’re going to stay overnight at the dorms (you’re supposed to do this, but in reality it’s optional) bring a fan. The dorms will still be pretty hot and stuffy, but it’s really terrible if you don’t have a fan. I recommend staying in a hotel.</p>

<p>The first day is just a lot of the obligatory speeches, spirit-building, icebreaker activities, which I found kind of useless. The second day is where you actually get to see your schedule and talk with an adviser if you want to.</p>

<p>++ on the towering inferno known as Slusher. 1 fan will not be enough!</p>

<p>i had heard that i need to take my final transcript. is that true or will i be fine without it.</p>

<p>DD just came back from last week’s orientation.</p>

<p>FAN…FAN …FAN </p>

<p>She said it was insanely hot. It was so hot that they all went down to the lounge around midnight in their pj’s to cool off only to find out that the lounge had become party central for both the girls and the guys! I thought she would tell me they ran back upstairs to make themselves pretty, but she said nope, we stayed until 4-5 a.m. Irony, is I had it put aside for her to take and she forgot to take it!</p>

<p>SHe took her transcripts and her shot records, they asked for neither. </p>

<p>The main reason they want the transcript is to place you in your fall classes. Her school had already sent them, thus they didn’t need her copy. I would take it just in case yours hasn’t reached them yet.</p>

<p>I would take everything they posted on the list. You may or may not need it, but you don’t want to get there and say OH SHEAT! </p>

<p>The one thing we found out to be a pain was it stated 8 or 8:30 as check in. They were not prepared and DH had to go back later on that day to drop off her luggage. </p>

<p>Additionally it says they go until 5. She was done by 11, and at that time we went over to the bookstore to buy the laptop.</p>

<p>Her favorite thing she came back with is her new saying about what a HOKIE is…I AM is her response with pride!</p>

<p>I assume students typically bring a bag with change of clothes & such?</p>

<p>Echo what bulletandprima said above,</p>

<p>except that you can turn in your shot records to McComas Hall; there’s construction at the entrance so you’ll need to use the side one. Although I’m sure you can turn it in at any time during move-in and such.</p>

<p>So exactly how early do you need to be there the first day? I’m not excited about leaving at 6am to be there by 8 or so if it’s just as well to arrive at 9:30!</p>

<p>A fan is a must. Two when you move in in August. Don’t let the heat/humidity of July/August scare you. It will quickly cool off come September (esp. at night). It generally doesn’t get uncomfortable again until the last couple weeks of school.</p>

<p>Ricemomtoo, no need to be there right at 8. We got there at 9 and had plenty of time to do everything. I’d say try to get there by 9:30 at the latest.</p>

<p>I would have a general plan of what courses you have to take. When I was at orientation 2 years ago they stuck us into this computer room where we basically made up our schedules. There were no parents allowed so atleast come with a general knowledge of the courses you need to fill out a tentative schedule. The campus is very centralized so if classes are back-to-back it shouldn’t be a problem. I also second the fan suggestion, I was stuck in West AJ 2 years ago and I could not sleep the whole night as I was drenched in buckets of sweat. Since all the dorms are pretty much bare walls it might not look like much at first but when you come in the fall and get to decorate them and such it will be fine.</p>

<p>yea i just got back from orientation. everything was pretty easy. 1st day seemed to begin to drag on later in the day but everything was pretty fun. lots of walking and you will be tired by the end of the day.</p>

<p>As for slusher it was impossible to sleep even with fans. we ended up getting about 10 of us in the 3rd floor lounge had a bunch of fans goin and watched TV and talked the entire night. Also its about a 10 min walk to 7/11 if you need a drink just make sure you have someone to let you in after 12. other than the terrible heat it was an awesome time.</p>

<p>2nd day was quick and easy got everything done around 10am. also the sched. will say breakfast starts at 7 but D2 opens at 630am so you can get in before it gets crowded.</p>

<p>Yeah, depending on what dorm you stay the heat can be a problem but usually it only lasts the first 4 weeks of college life. It’s then gets pretty cold from October until Early May. However, Harper, New Res, Payne, and the new building next to the Cochrane are all air conditioned. </p>

<p>I stayed in Slusher Wing my freshman year which was pretty bad with heat in August (85 normal room temperature) and had trouble sleeping even with a fan. Then Cochrane in 2 years after that which is one of the best non-air conditioned buildings when it comes to indoor temperatures. </p>

<p>Anyway I started out in University Studies and did CPE for 2 years and now I’m in CS, what did they tell you about it at Orientation?</p>