OSU vs OU vs Dayton Chemical Engineering?

I’m a chemical engineering major at the University of Dayton, and I’m thinking about transferring. What is the word of mouth about the chemical engineering programs at both Ohio University (OU) and the Ohio State University (OSU)? Do they produce good engineers?

Thanks!

An important question to answer first…what don’t you like about Dayton?

Mostly just that it’s expensive, and also that the program requires a lot of extra credit hours that the other two programs don’t require.

Do they produce good engineers?

I haven’t worked with any ChemE’s from OSU, but other disciplines are top notch. Second to none.

I’ve heard that OU is a good school, in general, but can’t speak to their engineering program.

If you do well in a bachelor’s engineering program anywhere, you’ll be marketable. Others on CC claim the school is of utmost importance for other fields, but engineering? Not on my opinion.

Well those are very legitimate reasons for considering transferring.

I’m not familiar enough with the schools to speak in anything but broad terms. I’d think any of them would position you to be as successful as Dayton, including Miami, which is smaller than either OSU or Ohio and also has ABET accredited Chem E.

I’d look up their placement figures, visit the facilities and then make up your mind. Good luck!

I won’t drag you through his process, but my s20 researched Chem engineering programs to death. Based on his criteria (lots to do with research programs and curriculum) it came down to tOSU and Cornell. He was accepted at tOSU last Friday and he appears to be done!

I believe at the admissions presentation they said that tOSU’s Chem eng program was the second biggest in the country. To my son’s years, that meant lots of employers recruit there. His investigation into that proved it to be true. That sealed the deal for him.

I can understand about the cost. OSU will be the better known name though the campus will feel VERY different from OU. Both programs will be ABET accredited. Both will support coops if you are interested. OU may offer better scholarships as they are encouraging students to study in their Engineering Dept. I don’t how they handle transfers. Another school to consider for Chemical Engineering is the University of Akron. They are known for their Chemical Engineering Program especially as it pertains to Polymers. Akron was the home of the tire and rubber industry for many years. Speaking as a dad whose D graduated with a degree in Chemical Engineering (Purdue, she turned down a pretty much full ride to OU) and whose youngest D is an OU student (not in engineering) I would say that their are pros and cons for each. OSU will be better known with far more alumni but you may be more likely to be just another fish in the pond. OU having a smaller program, may offer you more of an opportunity to shine. The campus atmospheres are very different. IMO it will be up to you to be successful wherever you choose. There are not any bad choices.

I don’t know your specific situation. You may need to check into what is required to transfer into Engineering at OSU. I believe like many flagship schools you would first go into pre-engineering. The question would be can you go directly into Chemical engineering? It might be easier to directly enter OU’s Chemical Engineering dept. Good luck.

https://advising.engineering.osu.edu/prospective-students/transfer-students