Our Bama Bound experience

<p>DS, DD, and I returned from BB last night and we all had a great time.
DS met two of his roommates and they really liked each other. They have so much in common and are looking forward to the fall. </p>

<p>DS also received a bid to the fraternity that he really wanted to belong to and that has made him all the more excited for August to get here. :)</p>

<p>I don’t have anything negative to say about the BB process. Everything went according to plan, from checking DS into his dorm to class scheduling. He is going to try and tweak his 9:00 am GEO class tomorrow morning as he and his roommate almost missed the first part of Monday’s BB welcome because they didn’t hear their alarms. He is not an early riser so an 11:00 am class would be much better for him!</p>

<p>My DD (a junior at a Big 10 university) loved Bama. She thought the campus was beautiful; the dorms were “ridiculous,” and that it’s too bad that her brother is going to miss out on suffering through a typical shoe box dorm experience. ;)</p>

<p>We had dinner at the Cypress Inn on Tuesday and it was wonderful. The setting is gorgeous and the food was very good. We also ate at DePalma’s and Moe’s BBQ, both are great.
Finally, there were two other Illinois kids in the Communications and Information Sciences breakout session (Mr. Oakley was the advisor at our meeting, I LOVE him) and I saw three kids with BB bags on our flight back to Chicago, very cool. </p>

<p>I wish all of you who are still looking forward to BB the best of times.</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Thanks for sharing! We are very excited to attend BB July 9 and 10. My son smiled at the shoe box dorm experience comment.</p>

<p>thanks for sharing</p>

<p>:) </p>

<p>RTR</p>

<p>I’m so glad you had a great experience at BB. Roll Tide!:)</p>

<p>I’m glad your son received a fraternity bid. I remember you writing that being Greek was important to him and he was concerned he wouldn’t receive a bid as a northerner. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Thanks Crimson217. He really wanted to experience the brotherhood and fun that his dad had in his fraternity, many years ago…</p>

<p>We were walking outside of the Ferg when we heard my son’s name called and it was a few of the young men who will be his brothers. I enjoyed meeting them and my daughter still hasn’t stopped laughing about the fact that they called me “ma’am.” I actually loved it and keep repeating that Southern men are raised to be gentlemen :)</p>

<p>UA is really all that those on this forum say it is. I couldn’t be happier that he chose this school. The opportunity is endless.</p>

<p>Glad to hear you all had a great time. Getting the bid to the house you want is always a great feeling. Insert disparaging GDI remark here ________________. :-)</p>

<p>Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>Lovemykids- when your son received a bid from a fraternity, how did that happen? Had he expressed interest in the fraternity before he went, or are the fraternities all represented at each Bama Bound?</p>

<p>Proudmama- My son contacted the rush chairmen at some of the houses in January. He was invited to a few rush events and some parties when we visited in February and he met a lot of guys at the Greek Preview in April. He also registered on the UA IFC website. </p>

<p>Also, a few of the wonderful parents on this site helped him connect with some fraternity men. </p>

<p>The fraternity that he received a bid from invited him to two rush events and my DS kept in contact with the rush chair. He had met most of the young men in the house by the time they offered him the bid. </p>

<p>DS is very outgoing and has no problem walking up to strangers and introducing himself and I think that helped him. If your son is interested in Greek life then I’d encourage him to register for rush on the IFC website (if he hasn’t already) and contact houses individually. The rush chair’s information is on each individual fraternity website. If he does that now he will most likely be invited to some summer events and if he can’t attend any of those at least his name will be familiar for the fall rush events.</p>

<p>Best of luck to him!</p>