Out of State Applications

I have been hearing different things and I don’t know what is true or false. Is their an auto-admit for out of state applicants? I saw somewhere that top 25% of class out of state with an SAT score of at least 1300 with each component at least 600, or an ACT composite of 30 with at least a 27 in English and Math gets auto accepted but this seems hard to believe.

Also, how much more difficult is it for an out of state student to be accepted?

@Ognit18 That used to be the criteria for academic auto admission, but starting with this next round (incoming freshmen applying for Fall 2021 admission), that goes away. Only Texas residents attending Texas high schools graduating in the top 10% will get auto admission - the rest of the applicants will be reviewed on case by case basis for admission.

A&M used to offer two pathways for automatic admission. 1. Being an in state applicant and being in the top 10.0% of your class OR 2. for in state and out of state applicants be in the top 25% of your class and have an SAT score of 1360, with sub scores of 660 ERBW and 620 math OR 30 ACT score with subscore of 27 in English and Math.

A&M dissolved option 2 after the current incoming class of 2024.

Can you afford full OOS costs? That is your first question to ask your parents.

@Sybylla well my hope is that I will qualify for the OOS tuition waiver since my parents won’t be paying for me to go to college…

That would be very unlikely. Really the math indicates ( note pre covid is now ancient history) most tuition waivers are NMFs. If money is a problem, you need to scrap OOS publics. I would say that applying to TAMU without being full pay or NMF is a waste of an application unless you are a total superstar that would otherwise gain admission to many top schools.

What are your current stats?
What is your state?
What is your FAFSA EFC?

OOS admission isn’t really the hard part for many reasonably good students. it is the paying bit, that is why most OOS applicants won’t attend.