Out of state car insurance

<p>USAA & State Farm agents, as well as my HI agent have all told me they ALWAYS re-write the policy to wherever the car will be GARAGED & adjust rates accordingly. THat makes sense to me & is important if you ever make a claim to be SURE that it will be paid instead of denied because you didn’t get it re-written.</p>

<p>HImom that is really weird because USAA has told us the exact opposite, that our policy on D’13 car will remain on our Florida policy when she goes to Alabama. If she were not a full time student that would change everything.</p>

<p>Since there are STATE regulations that each company must follow, perhaps its Hawaii’s regulation that these agents are following. Maybe a policy written in Hawaii is not good on the Mainland. that would make sense since you can’t drive from HI to another state…not even to go to school. </p>

<p>I also wonder what is being defined as “garaged”. I have driven to Calif a few times and have “garaged” my car at my parents’ home during the month or so long visit. </p>

<p>We also took our car for a very long business trip to Florida (over 3 months), so what’s that considered?</p>

<p>Anyway…it seems to be a state by state thing. My inlaws owned an independent insurance agency for over 50 years writing policies for a number of companies and the rules they followed for Illinois and Indiana (they’re on the border so they were allowed to write in two states) was that students away at school are considered to be residents of their parents/home state, so they can remain on their parents policy.</p>

<p>BTW…my insurance, Allstate asked to see my older son’s grades to continue his good student discount. He’s in grad school several states away. We provided the grades, he clearly goes to school out of state (with a car), no problem.</p>

<p>From State Farm’s website…</p>

<p>How will being a student in college affect my Car Insurance Rates?</p>

<p>College students are generally covered under their parents’ auto insurance policy, if the student’s primary address is the parent’s house.</p>

<p>The specifics vary by state, so you may want to discuss them with a State Farm auto insurance agent.</p>

<p>Take advantage of car insurance discounts for young drivers. For example, you may qualify for State Farm’s Good Student Discount depending on the area.</p>

<p>since specifics vary by state, that may mean that Hawaii has some different rules.</p>

<p>Fascinating. I agree that it’s best for each of us to be SURE to get details in writing from the particular insurer who will be covering any vehicle involved so there will be no fight about coverage if any claim needs to be made. Many of the HI agents are ONLY licensed in HI.</p>

<p>Will have a long chat with my agent on Monday to clarify. It would be MUCH cheaper if D is able to remain on our policy, but want to be sure she has coverage. The HI auto policy we got does talk about out-of-state vehicles & coverage.</p>