Out of state chances

<p>Does anyone know TAMUs position on taking out of state kids, I know UT is very selective and was wondering is TAMU is the same.</p>

<p>What are your test scores and class ranking?</p>

<p>From California
3.8 W GPA
27 composite 32 reading 24 math
School does not rank
4 years swimming
2 years water polo
year-round swimming, and a job combined 21+ hrs a week
Student government
and other clubs</p>

<p>Not sure. Might depend on your major. If you’re going for something math-based you might be in a little trouble. But if you’re going for something English based I would think you should be more than fine.</p>

<p>I don’t know how TAMU will handle not having a rank, I’ve heard that they calculate something based on their own scale (correct me if I’m wrong).</p>

<p>Other than that you have good extra cirricular activities and a good composite ACT score.</p>

<p>By nature TAMU is roughly 5% out-of-state and most Californians are from SoCal. I would lean towards the opinion that they’re looking for more out of state kids. They’re putting an emphasis on diversity lately so who knows.</p>

<p>Best thing you can do financially if you get in - get a TAMU scholarship, needs to be over 1K, and it’ll qualify you for in-state tuition. Cuts your tuition in half</p>

<p>I’d say you have some solid ECs, an avg test score, which makes you pretty average compared to other OOS applicants. What is your unweighted GPA?</p>

<p>I would take the SAT again and see if you can boost it up to the 30 range. Even if your school doesn’t rank, they will calculate a rank (son’s school doesn’t rank) and you could become an automatic academic admit. Have you taken the SAT? There is also an automatic academic admit there. Keep in mind that they have had 30K applicants and I am sure the extra pub they are getting will keep that number up.</p>

<p>My major is in Communications so I was wondering if it was less competitive than any math based major, how that would affect my odds.</p>

<p>My high school is also a magnet school, and has been recognized and received awards in:
Ladies’ Home Journal Top 10 Schools in the United States
America’s Greenest School 2009</p>

<p>500+ views and only 4 responses, help a girl out guys come on</p>

<p>Mm well I can tell you that A&M doesn’t care how prestigious your high school is. Don’t know how Communications will affect your chances, and the other guys that posted pretty much summed it up.</p>

<p>atbow, you probably didn’t get too many responses because, as izelkay stated, the responses you got were already pretty good ones. Did you take the SAT? Some people do better on one test than they do on the other. Great reading score! The thing is, with your school not ranking, and the 27 ACT - it’s really anyone’s guess. There are a lot of students with similar stats as yours who did not get in, and there are probably some that did get in.</p>

<p>hey nasagirl14, you said that if we get a 1000$ scholarship we can get in state tuition? where did you find that out? and can you please explain more? thanks :)</p>

<p>It seems like TAMU gets quite a few apps from CA, so that may lower you chances slightly. I have pretty much the same ec’s as you, but my act was a 31 which qualified me for an automatic admit (I live in the northeast, so oos also). Your chances are probably pretty slim if you applied in December because they have rolling admissions and spots for majors start to fill up. I’m not very familiar with communications though since I applied to the school of engineering. So there’s definitely a chance, but you may get waitlisted for a variety of reasons.</p>

<p>As mentioned earlier, A&M is really seeking diversity, but I think they are aiming for diversity outside of the United States or if you’re a minority. I’ve also heard that if you said you were going in the corps on the application, you have a slight better chance. </p>

<p>Communications is not a terribly competitive major to get into so I think you have a chance looking at your grades and such. Maybe take the SAT and try 600+ on math and critical reading sections to better.</p>

<p>Schleissen: I am Asian, and i am pretty sure that Asians are a minority at A&M, is that correct? Would that give me a better chance for diversity?</p>