Out of State GPA unfair?!

<p>I am an out-of-state applicant and I was just wondering how the admissions committe views OOS gpa’s. I understand that the unweighted GPA is the same as an in-state applicant but for the weighted GPA, OOS only get credit for AP/IB. At my school I’ve taken all honors/AP courses since freshman year but when I calculate my UC GPA with only AP’s, my weighted gpa is just a 4.0. When I calculate it as if all my honors counted for an extra point, my UC GPA is a 4.45? Do UC’s take this into consideration?</p>

<p>Schools will usually recalculate the GPA anyways and compare the rigor of your cirriculum in your HS to your fellow classmates. Both my sons (in-state California) took many Honors classes and only 2 were UC approved (Honors Pre-calc and Honors Chem) Honors Biology/English/Algebra2 were not UC approved, so there is not a huge disadvantage as an OOS student. You have to remember UC’s are state funded by California taxpayers, so any “so called” advantage should be given to in-state students. That’s the reality…</p>

<p>I hope you are not needing FA to be able to attend the UCs</p>

<p>The UCs have a GPA cap of 8 weighted semesters (or 4 weighted classes with two semesters per class). I am instate and I have 4 nonhonors weighted classes (AP Calc, IB Math HL, IB Bio HL, IB English HL). Although I also took a lot of honor classes, they do not matter because my nonhonors weighted classes already used up the cap of 8 weighted semesters. As a result, out of state admissions is fair. If you are out of state and do not have at least 4 AP/IB classes, then your course rigor is crap, even if you took a lot of honors classes.</p>

<p>Also, if your capped UC GPA is only 4.00, then your GPA is also crap. I had a 3.66 unweighted, a 4.29 weighted, and a 4.00 capped UC GPA. My SAT score was 2300. I was rejected/waitlisted by five UCs because my GPA is crap.</p>

<p>@Mangiafuoco‌ UCLA and Berkeley don’t use capped</p>

<p>@jlev96‌
I assumed that you were applying to the lower UCs because your crappy 3.67 unweighted GPA (saw this from your old threads) will definitely get you rejected by UC Berkeley and UCLA. In fact, your GPA is so crappy that you will probably also be rejected by UCSD, UC Davis, UC Irvine, and UCSB.</p>

<p>@Mangiafuoco‌ What kind of ec’s/senior schedule did u have</p>

<p>@Mangiafuoco slightly ironic that you and @jlev96 are arguing about that considering that you posted that you had a 3.7 UW GPA as well… </p>

<p>However, that’s not the point of this thread; Gumbymom has already answered your question to the fullest.</p>

<p>@jlev96‌
IB schedule, a few small individual awards, some team competitions, and many hours of ECs and community service. I never posted a “Chance me” thread partly because I do not want to give away too much information about myself, so I would rather not list all my ECs.</p>

<p>@Disdain‌
Not too ironic because I called my own GPA crap and showed that it is indeed crap by posting my rejections/waitlists. Also, Gumbymom did not mention the 8 semesters weighted cap. I mentioned it, so I contributed to answering the question.</p>

<p>@Mangiafuoco‌ you seem a bit angry</p>

<p>Who wouldn’t be upset after being rejected/waitlisted by UCB, UCLA, UCSD, UCD, UCI, and CPSLO?</p>

<p>But no, I am not angry. I’m just calling people’s stats crap for the lulz. >:) </p>

<p>@Mangiafuoco‌ did u apply to UCSB</p>

<p>Yeah, that is where I am at right now.</p>