Out of state Honors designated Classes, UC GPA and UC Comprehensive Review

oh, for SL/HL i was referring to the “designated IB courses” which split into standard-level (SL) and higher-level (HL) courses. sorry for the bad wording.

so seems like only diploma programme (gr. 11-12) courses really count as UC’s honours. thank you!

2 Likes

They might not count as Honors for the purposes of the UC GPA calculation but they will be considered for HS course rigor in the Comprehensive review.

the IB courses? or are you referring to the middle-years programme (MYP) post I made above?

I was referring to the middle years programme (MYP) but both IB and MYP courses will be part of the Comprehensive review and HS course rigor.

oh okay, i thought i calculated my UC gpa wrong with the rogershub calculator.

i said that the courses were MYP in the “additional information” section of the “academic history” section in my application. will that be enough? i didn’t see a way to classify courses as “myp” when actually filling out grade 9-10 courses.

This would imply that OOS applicants are not supposed to check the honors box for school-designated honors courses, they are just supposed to include “Honors” in the title of the class (as it appears on the transcript)?

I’m sure there are lots of OOS students who check the honors box for these courses, and I’m also sure there are lots of OOS students who don’t check it…

Whatever way the student did it, someone at UC (or at the campus) probably looks at the course names and re-codes the classes.

So students on this thread probably shouldn’t worry that they did it wrong… whether they did or didn’t check the box.

3 Likes

Very conflicting information since I watched the UCSB tutorial video and they stated to Use the Honors box on the drop down. Either way, the UC application reviewers will sort it out like you said.

3 Likes

Using the additional comment section of the UC application should be fine along with UC admissions being familiar with the IB Program and Canadian course curriculums. If there were any issues, you would have received an email from admissions asking for clarification.

1 Like

It is incredibly conflicting and a bit worrisome. It would be great to find out how this process of sorting our the Honors designation actually works. Are you by chance able to shed any light on that? Meaning, is there someone or a computer that actually re-calculates an OOS gpa? And what do they base that re-calculation on? Thank you

I am sorry but I cannot answer that question since I do not work in admissions. There is a discussion thread in which a current UCSB engineering student asked to see their application review which gives some insight on the review process. I have linked the discussion thread.

Here is an excerpt of part of that discussion:

1. Academic Index – essentially the academic strength of the applicant, calculated from GPA, course load, AP scores, community college classes, rigor, etc.
    -calculated via computer algorithms

Dumb question - If the transcript has 7 core courses each for grade 10 and 11; Would UCs consider only 5 core courses for UC GPA calculation or all the 7 core courses?

All a-g courses. Certain courses are not a-g so they don’t count (such as PE classes) but most count as a-g.

My kids do lots of music stuff and typically have 7 or 8 a-g courses per semester. They are all calculated into the GPA, and drag the capped GPA down (and the uncapped GPA as well, since music and similar electives usually aren’t weighted).

2 Likes

All a-g (core) courses taken the summer after 9th grade through the summer prior to 12th grade are included in the UC GPA calculation. Capped allows 8 semesters of AP/IB or DE UC transferable courses for the extra weighting. Fully weighted UC GPA includes unlimited semesters of these weighted courses taken during this time.

The Rogerhub calculator will calculate all 3 UC GPA’s.
GPA Calculator for the University of California – RogerHub

2 Likes

More common confusion are for traditional freshman or sophomore classes such as Geometry H, Algebra 2H, English 2H, Biology H. Students receive A-G credit, but rarely do those classes receive a UC honors bump.

If any in-state student wants to check which courses at their high school receive a UC honors distinction, they can look up their high school at the link below. Courses that receive UC honors distinction have an orange banner with a yellow star on the left side

2 Likes

As an OOS student, how do they select applicants? I got an email for a UCLA alumni scholarship, but how is it selected?

See my post and @lkg4answers post in the UCLA discussion thread.

In calculating the UC gpa for in state students does taking a summer UC college course ( or community college course) count towards one or two semesters using Rogers hub. Does the number of units matter? One class was 4 units the other was 5. Somewhere I read 5 units is 2 semesters??

No the # of units needs to be more than 2 units but 1 semester class gets 1 extra Honors points for the UC calculation.

For the Cal states, 1 semester class gets 2 extra Honors points.

1 Like

Thank you so much for clarifying!

For UC, a one semester transferable college course counts as one (honors) course and one grade. For CSUs, a one semester transferable college course counts as two (honors) courses and two grades.

2 Likes