Out of State interested in BAMA!

<p>Sup college confidential people and people of Alabama </p>

<p>Im from Florida and I would love to go to the University of Alabama for college. </p>

<p>Im going to be going into my senior yea and just a one question about cost to attend.</p>

<p>1.) How much does it cost IN TOTAL to attend University of Alabama (not including FAFSA and scholarships I am trying to get)</p>

<p>Please respond, ROLL TIDEL</p>

<p>Well, the answer is: it depends…</p>

<p>Housing can vary depending on dorm choice. After frosh year, you can choose a cheaper meal plan (or have no meal plan).</p>

<p>Are your stats high enough for Bama’s scholarships? </p>

<p>Tuition is about $23k for an OOS student. Room and Board can range from about $9k per year to about $13k per year, depending on dorm choice. Books, fees, misc can be about $2k per year. Personal expenses and travel costs can vary depending on how thrifty you are.</p>

<p>Thanks for replying </p>

<p>According to the link below, Out of State cost to attend U of A is $18,900. I am unsure about this price that’s why I made this thread.</p>

<p><a href=“Page Not Found | The University of Alabama”>Page Not Found | The University of Alabama;

<p>Yes…that’s per semester.</p>

<p>I see. </p>

<p>And there are 4 semesters over the course of 4 years?</p>

<p>Sorry if it is a stupid question, I just don’t understand how semesters work in college</p>

<p>There is a fall and a spring semester each year. Eight semesters total if you graduate in the recommended four-year period of time.</p>

<p>That estimate includes the priciest meal plan (req’d only for freshman) and the priciest dorms (private rooms). If you want a standard double dorm, the dorm cost is about $4k less per year. And after frosh year, you can choose any meal plan or take no meal plan.</p>

<p>do you know how much your parents will pay each year?</p>

<p>Also living in a apartment off campus during Soph to Senior year can be cheaper than the dorms and meal plans.</p>

<p>Work on your ACT and SAT and you could qualify for the scholarships that get you in-state tuition. Pay attention to deadlines and be sure you are prepared to meet them heading into your senior year. Bama has rolling acceptance so if you meet the qualifications you might know early in the process.</p>

<p>Thanks for replying everyone</p>

<p>What SAT/ACT score do I need to get in state tuition?</p>

<p>You would need to get an ACT 30 or M+CR SAT of 1330 to get the UA Scholar award that brings tuition down to about instate tuition. </p>

<p>There isn’t a scholarship that specifically says “in state tuition rate,” but the UA Scholar award is for 2/3 OOS rate, which brings the tuition down to about $8k per year - which is a little less than instate rate.</p>

<p>How much will your parents pay each year? If you don’t know, ask them.</p>

<p>*Critical Reading 500 51%
Math 500 45%
Writing 600 82%
Multiple Choice 52 (score range: 20-80)
Essay 11 (score range: 2-12)<br>
Would like to improve reading to 600+ and math to a 600</p>

<p>Possible?</p>

<p>And does anyone know when the next SAT test is AFTER the June test?</p>

<p>Thanks</p>

<p>-Elite*</p>

<p>The next SAT exam is in October. </p>

<p>With a 1000 M+CR SAT, you’d have to bring those sections up by 330 points total in order to get the UA Scholar award.</p>

<p>Wow, mom2collegekids you have been a big help for me and I greatly appreciate it. </p>

<p>I have signed up for the October SAT and I have to begin preparing for the exam. </p>

<p>My parents can put down $10,000 I believe.</p>

<p>What still needs to be taken into consideration is FAFSA as well.</p>

<p>Have you or your parents plugged in incomes to the Net Price Calculator on the UA site? It can help give you some kind of idea of what to expect in terms of financial aid that will come from doing FAFSA. Remember, FAFSA can not be done until after they have their 2013 tax information. Sometime in January 2014 they can usually get a pretty good idea of what their numbers will be to fill it out. This year it was delayed due to new tax laws.<br>
[Financial</a> Aid - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://financialaid.ua.edu/net-price-calculator/]Financial”>Net Price Calculator – Financial Aid | The University of Alabama)</p>

<p>The Net Price Calculator is a good place to start. You do not want to wait to put down any deposits till you know about FAFSA if UA is really where you want to be.</p>

<p>*My parents can put down $10,000 I believe.</p>

<p>What still needs to be taken into consideration is FAFSA as well.*</p>

<p>Don’t get too optimistic about federal aid. It’s not much and any “free money” (Pell Grants) is for low income families. </p>

<p>If your parents will pay $10k per year, then I suspect that their income is too high for a Pell Grant. If so, then all you’d get after filling out FAFSA is a $5500 student loan and maybe (not likely) work study of $2000. </p>

<p>Have your parents fill out the Net Price Calculator on the Bama website. If their income for 2013 is known and/or similar to their income in 2012, they can put those numbers into the NPC for now to get a rough idea.</p>

<p>Don’t limit yourself to SAT–some kids are better at ACT give both a shot to cover your bases.</p>