Out of State? Legacy?

<p>Does VA Tech handle out-of-state applicants any different than in-state?</p>

<p>Also, would it matter if a parent attended grad school there?</p>

<p>Most colleges usually admit in-state students before OOS. The difference with Virginia Tech is that they love diversity. They want people with different backgrounds to attend Virginia Tech, so VT normally doesn’t put preference on in-state over OOS. </p>

<p>As for legacy, I’m not sure. I’m a first generation college student. No one in my family has any relation to Virginia Tech, so legacy really doesn’t have any affect on me. I guess if I had to guess, I would say it could go either way. Virginia Tech loves first generation students. The want to get more and more people involved with Virginia Tech, but VT also loves legacy. That is because they see it as a chance for more of your family to attend Virginia Tech. The more who attend = the more money they make on tuition. =) </p>

<p>I don’t think legacy is going to hurt or help you. They might look at the fact that your parent attended grad school there, but I don’t think it will affect your decision.</p>

<p>By law Virgnia schools have to admit 2/3 IS (or 70% IS and 30% OOS).
I am pretty certain that having a parent who attended grad school will give you legacy.</p>

<p>Plus, I think you can get in-state tuition.</p>