Out of State Student Sorority Recruitment

<p>Thanks to this CC board helping us identify Bama as a viable choice (THANK YOU!!!), my HS jr daughter (who scored high on PSAT and is very like to be a National Merit Finalist in 2013) is very pretty, accomplished, many service activities, highly regarded prep school, etc…but will be OOS at Bama…</p>

<p>Do the sororities REALLY want smart girls (given all else equal) - will they give preference to a NMFinalist in the Honors college?</p>

<p>YES, sororities do want REALLY smart girls! They are looking for smart girls who are groomed well and dressed appropriately (note I did not say dressed expensively), converse well, and are friendly.</p>

<p>OOS it not a problem. More than half of this and last year’s newly pledged women were out of state.</p>

<p>Heaviest cuts - it depends on the particular chapter. An in-demand group will cut more heavily in the beginning of recruitment. That is something the rushees (Potential New Members) cannot control and should not concern themselves with.</p>

<p>By skit day, each participant will have a MAXIMUM of 7 parties to attend. Many have fewer parties. So the number of sororities a student could potentially join is less than half at that point.
A woman may attend up to 3 preference parties (the last day). These parties are by invitation, so you may get 1 invitation, or 2, or 3, but not more than 3. But even if you get just 1 invitation, you can only pledge one sorority.</p>

<p>Have you signed up for Panhellenic Preview Day? [Panhellenic</a> Preview Day Registration](<a href=“http://www.uapanhellenic.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=40&Itemid=42]Panhellenic”>http://www.uapanhellenic.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=40&Itemid=42) This can be a very helpful introduction to Alabama’s sorority system. If your city has an alumnae panhellenic association, register with them. Many are NOW conducting recruitment introductory sessions. They will help you with recommendations for most, if not all, of the groups.</p>

<p>Preview weekend [Panhellenic</a> Preview Day Registration](<a href=“http://www.uapanhellenic.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=40&Itemid=42]Panhellenic”>http://www.uapanhellenic.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=40&Itemid=42) is NOT required but it can be helpful.
You hear an explanation of how recruitment (also called rush) works. You may seen a short fashion show of the types of clothing you would wear for each round.
Panhellenic representatives may talk about recommendations, how sororities choose members, what the parties are like, what is expected of you during recruitment, and what sorority life is like. They’ll talk about housing in the house, and out of it.
And you get to make brief visits to the first floors of each of the 16 sorority houses (Delta Gamma’s house is under construction, so you’ll visit them in the south end zone field suite in Bryan-Denney Stadium).
It’s a wonderful time to ask, ask, ask questions!
Parents are also welcome, with special sessions for them. If parents have questions, this is a wonderful to get first-hand look at the houses.</p>

<p>I agree with Southlander…sororities do like smart girls. Each sorority takes pride in their house GPA :). AS for preference to NMF and Honor girls I would say this…sororities are looking for young women who are good students, well put together, can carry a conversation, interested in helping others and well rounded so if you are NMF and Honors and you fit the above criteria then I think sororities would be interested in getting know you and possibly offering you a bid. If it were to come down to a choosing a girl that was just NMF/Honors and she was missing some of the above qualities and a girl who maybe had an average GPA (3.2) and had all of the qualities above I am not sure how the NMF girl would fair. Remember that joining a sorority is not just for the four years you are in college but it is a sisterhood for life. Each sorority has it’s own personality and even in a particular house (with memberships of over 250 girls) you will find a variety of girls both Honors and non Honors. AS we have all stated before it is important to keep an open mind when going through recruitment.</p>

<p>You should also know that joining a sorority is a BIG time commitment especially Fall semester of your Freshman year (or the year you pledge…for you sophomores going through). You will have required commitments that are not excused because you have homework or a test the following day. I think this is the part where good students are able to excel. Many have good study habits and organizational skills…you will need this! Many here will tell you to take a little lighter schedule first semester so you can adjust to the time commitment of sorority life.</p>

<p>As for cuts…it depends solely on the sorority. Panhellenic uses a formula based on returns from the previous years to determine how many girls a particular sorority can invite back each round. Southlander is correct as a PNM there is nothing YOU can do to control this. You should focus on you and how you present yourself…that’s something you can control.</p>

<p>The maximum amount of Parties you can be invited back to on Preference is 3. In the past is has been that you visit all of the houses the first two days (ice water teas). The next round of parties is called Philanthropy days. they are again held over two days and the maximum amount of houses you can be invited back to is 11. Skit days next and the maximum amount of houses is 7 and then Preference. </p>

<p>Many have asked and worry about being from OOS. Again…if you present yourself as a put together confident young woman with good grades AND you maximize your options you will be fine. ALSO it is VERY IMPORTANT that you have at least 1 good solid recommendation for EACH house. I cannot stress this enough!!! Panhellenic will suggest this…you absolutely need them ladies!! I am here to tell you that sororities do not look through their recs and eliminate girls who are OOS. There are several houses on campus that are traditionally strong “southern” sororities but they have OOS girls in them.</p>

<p>AS for Preview…I would really encourage you to go if at all possible especially if your are OOS. It is a great “picture” of recruitment at Bama. You will be able to get a glimpse of each sorority by visiting for a VERY brief time and also each house will set up a show and tell table in Bryant-Denney and you can walk around, chat with the girls who are representing their sorority and pick up a pamphlet of information. It also is a great way to meet other girls who are going to go through recruitment and in some cases you can network and pick up a few of those missing recs you might need. If you want a really detailed description of the day pm me. Panhellenic is still putting the finishing touches on this years Preview but I can fill you in on most of it :).</p>