Out of State Student

I am an out-of-state student who just recently applied. I have a 3.826/4 GPA unweighted, and I am not submitting my SAT Scores. TAMU has always been my top school and I really want to get in. I would love to boost my chance of admission through an interview. Does anyone know if TAMU does undergrad admissions interviews? If so, how would I set one up. Also, what are my chances of getting accepted? Is it lower for out of state students? Thanks In advance

Yes, it is harder for OOS students to get accepted since we are a public university and are required to admit top 10% of their schools.

Going test optional will not give you a solid chance. I know they say it can’t hurt you, but it just doesn’t give you the leg up in trying to prove yourself compared to Texas students. What rank are you? If you have a solid rank, like top 10%, you have a shot.

And there are no interviews for admissions. There are typically over 55000 students that apply. Can you imagine if they allowed interviews? Eek. Best bet is to speak with an admissions counselor and ask questions so they know your level of interest.

What major are you wanting?

1 Like

I am 37 out of 238 (top 15%). I have showed a lot of interest in the school, and made a campus visit. I am hoping to get into Mays for marketing, but my second choice major is PoliSci.

Top 15% is really good. Mays fills up quickly, by November (mid month). Once it’s full, it’s full.

Hopefully you will hear soon, I just feel that OOS hear back towards November in general. There are always students here and there, but for the most part, it’s after the fact.

Also wanted to add for perspective… My son (TAMU Class of 2022) was top 14%, local school to TAMU, 28 ACT, some good ECs but nothing outstanding… and a LOR from someone high up at TAMU (within TAMU system).

Anyway, he wanted Mays but didn’t get accepted til December… so he went Econ. After he had 30 graded TAMU hours, he applied to change major to Mgmt-Pre Law. He was accepted within 24 hours and started that semester. He’ll graduate in May.

So I’m glad you have a good back up major and just know there is a chance you can change major later (with some good planning and grades).

1 Like

Thank you so much for your input. I like to think I have very strong extracurriculars as well as a good combination of volunteer hours. We will see what happens! Thanks and gig em!

1 Like