Out of State UC admissions?

<p>I have been looking at the UC system and I have been liking what I have been seeing. The only problem is that I am from out of state (Massachusetts) and don’t understand the whole “a-g” courses which probably something that has been s standardized thourugh California High Schools I’m guessing. I need to understand this because I need to calculate my gpa. With the exception of 3 AP classes this year I have pretty much taken all Honors classes thorough out my high school life but I don’t know if they will be accepted as UC honors. Maybe I should just give you the courses:</p>

<p>9th grade ( Doesn’t count, I know)
English 9 Hon A
Geometry Hon B (took Algebra 1 Hon in 8th grade, got an A)
Biology Hon B
World History A
Spanish 2 Hon B
Gym A
Computer course B
Health B</p>

<p>10th
English 10 hon A
Algebra 2 Hon A
Chemistry Hon A
Anatomy and Physiology B
US History Hon A
Spanish 3 Hon B
Gym A</p>

<p>11th
AP Language & Comp A
AP US History A
AP Economics B
Precal Hon A
Physics Hon B
Spanish 4 Hon B
Photoshop A</p>

<p>12th grade
AP Calculus
AP Lit.
AP Chemistry
AP Statistics
Constitutional Law Hon<br>
Engineering Science
AP environmental Science. </p>

<p>Ive tried to calculate my GPA but I get weird number. Please help!
Recommendation to which UC’s I should Apply. I am leaning towards Davis, LA, and Irvine</p>

<p>AP courses give you credit course towards the college graduation. The amount of credits depends on your AP score. Some of the credits do go towards the electives, it just depends what major you are in
here is link to AP credits
[University</a> of California - AP credits](<a href=“http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/counselors/ap-credits/index.html]University”>http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/admissions/counselors/ap-credits/index.html)</p>

<p>The way you calculate your unweighted GPA: A=4, B=3, C=2 and you divide by number of classes. You should have a number that is 4.0 or less.
For weighted GPA (honors and AP classes - it is up to your school what they list as honors, we have little H next to subject on our transcript): A=5, B=4, C=3, D=2 and you divide by number of classes. Your GPA is most likely above 4.0 but definitely less then 5.0</p>

<p>I hope this helps</p>

<p>Apply to berk, la, davis, SD, sb, irvine. The out of state admit rate to berk is around 35%</p>

<p>[CaliforniaColleges.edu</a> - Calculating Your GPA](<a href=“http://www.californiacolleges.edu/admissions/california-state-university-csu/gpa_calculator.asp]CaliforniaColleges.edu”>http://www.californiacolleges.edu/admissions/california-state-university-csu/gpa_calculator.asp)</p>

<p>Your GPA comes out as 4.23</p>

<p>The only class that I didn’t count was your gym class, though your photoshop class may not count, in which case you would have about the same (a 4.25). This GPA is consistent with the places you want to apply (and possible berkeley as well).</p>

<p>For OOS applicants, only AP courses are weighted, honors courses are not weighted. </p>

<p>A-g refers to academic subjects, so you should exclude courses like Gym, Health, and Photoshop.</p>

<p>You don’t need to calculate your GPA for the UC application. All you have to do is report the coursework and grades, then the UCs will calculate the GPA for you. Each UC calculates the GPA a little differently (UCLA uses fully weighted GPA, Davis and Irvine cap the GPA), so you are looking at a whole set of GPAs, not just one.</p>

<p>OP, it looks like you’re missing the so-called visual and performing arts requirement. That’s a year-long class in one of the arts, like band/orchestra, drama, ceramics, drawing, etc. This is the requirement that trips up a lot of OOS applicants. </p>

<p>If you’re a rising HS senior, you can revamp next year’s class schedule to fit in an arts course. Before you do that, check with your parents to make sure that you can afford a UC. OOS students pay $50k+ a year, and there is very little aid.</p>

<p>If you do not have all your a-g requirement, and you have good SAT/SAT II scores, check out Entrance by Exam. My son got into UCLA Berkley and UCSD without the a-g requirements.</p>

<p>you can also pick a class at community college or some drama performance which is just one quarter and counts for a full year credit</p>