Out of state. Worth it?

I was recently admitted into Binghamton’s Harper school, and was wondering if this school is worth paying an out of state tuition of 35,000 or just staying instate.
Thanks in advance

Well, it’s the top public school in New York, has been called the “Ivy of the SUNYs,” though I’m not sure why. A lot of us in New York all want our kids to go here if they can get in, because it is ranked the same as some of our very expensive private schools in upstate New York. But if you got into a very good in-state school, then the only question is probably whether or not you have a strong interest in coming to New York and/or the Binghamton area.

It is in Kiplinger’s Top 5 for Out of State Value.
I guess it depends how much in state costs and which school.

@violetdog‌ @bopper‌ I am from Maryland, so UMBC is an option

How much would UMBC cost you per year?

@bopper‌ It would be 5,000 because my mom works for the university of maryland system.

We are from Mass and my son got a 12K scholarship to Binghamton, which is basically like paying New York in state tuition. And Binghamton is a better school than UMass. Plus the school is not as big.

What state are you from?

Sorry - I just saw that you are from Maryland, which has several good public options. Go on what school you like best.

@jdietz61‌ wow! 12k from binghamton?! Thats amazing, congratulations! So are you officially committed to Bing?
And yes, I am from Maryland however, there aren’t many options for me because I only applied to UMBC and college park, which I got waitlisted…so I technically only have UMBC as
a public option. So I am conflicted between having my parents pay 35,000 or just stay in state in UMBC for 5,000…

I think you are better off going to maryland because the tuition is cheap unless you have a good reason to come to bing. For example Binghamton has a major that you can’t study elsewhere or because of cultural fit reasons (Binghamton has a large Jewish community and kosher food options that you may not find on many campuses for example)

ksp0597. Did you see the 60 minutes spot from a few years ago. Talks about innovation in STEM. Pretty impressive. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hrabowski-an-educator-focused-on-math-and-science-13-11-2011/

Violetdog, the reason some people call Binghamton that term is because NY tax payers pay media and PR staff an exuberant amount of money to spread that term around. The resemblance of Binghamton to an Ivy is as close as a Chuckie Cheese Burger is to Kobe Beef cooked up at 212 Steakhouse. Had they spent the last decade investing in classrooms, and instructors instead of Defleur choosing to partner with local developers to build fancy smanzy private apartments and large sports arenas, the school might not have a 1:22 instructor to student ratio and be busting at its seams. Maybe then students would not be closed out of their desired classes before they are even allowed to register. It’s really the medium sized public university of Broome County. That isn’t a criticism, that is the case. Chuckie Cheese is cheap and efficient too.