Outdoor Action App is up

<p>It looks like they are going to have 2 groups of 40 this year! Son completed app last night and I will mail out today :)</p>

<p>Your son will have a great time, CrimsonMomNC. OA is very worthwhile :)</p>

<p>My son totally enjoyed his OA experience. Tell your son to have fun and bring plenty of sunscreen!</p>

<p>Does anyone know what the project is going to be this year? Or will there be multiple projects since there are two groups?</p>

<p>I don’t know the specifics, but you can bet it will be something outdoorsy :wink: Likely tornado cleanup in areas where other groups aren’t already working. </p>

<p>The participants will really get to know the area.</p>

<p>The two groups are going to do different projects. My DS told me what his group was doing, but I don’t recall what it was:( I’ll get in touch with him tomorrow and post. He has 2 exams tomorrow and 1 is Calc III!!! YIKES!!! Don’t want to bother him tonight…Whatever they are doing, the students will enjoy it! Promise!!</p>

<p>This may seem like a silly question, but where do the Outdoor Action kids sleep? Are they camping or staying in the dorms? D love the outdoors, but hates camping.</p>

<p>Belle – I’m sure someone more familiar will answer, but when my daughter was considering betweein OA and AA – we never dreamed there would be camping involved. You get to move in early and we “assumed” you would stay in the dorms. Good question.</p>

<p>No camping involved! The participants sleep in their dorm rooms. For us, that was one of the big pluses - D got to move in one week early before the BIG move in day. By the time her roommates arrived she already knew her way around campus.</p>

<p>I believe all the OA participants ate every meal together, and I know that this year they are working to have more local food on the menu. My D loved visiting the nearby farmers market and this year they’ll do the same.</p>

<p>The days will be full, but no worries - the kids will get to collapse into their own beds each night :)</p>

<p>Thanks for the info. Now she can choose between OA and AA knowing that she won’t be in a tent.</p>

<p>Got a little info on the schedule for OA. Both groups will be doing the canoe trip. One will be on Monday, the other on Thursday. They will do a hike in the Hurricane Creek area one day and each will have an outdoor service project on the other 3 days. They also have some fun stuff planned for the evenings. Looks like the 2 groups will be together on a couple of the nighttime events but for the most part each group will be doing their own thing! More info to come but my DS is sooooo excited to be planning a wonderful week for the 2012 freshmen!!</p>

<p>Sounds like fun! Does anyone have an idea of when the kids need to sign up by in order to get into OA? My D still hasn’t made a final decision on where she’s going next year, but if she chooses UA she’ll want to do Outdoor Action.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>It’s hard to know…these things are getting more and more popular as they become publicized (lol…here on CC). </p>

<p>In the past, OA was limited to about 40 kids, but I think someone said the number will be bigger this year??? </p>

<p>Usually, the spots fill by spring…but I can’t guarantee that some will still be open by then.</p>

<p>Dr. Oneal has begun to receive applications for OA!! The facebook page is up! Please tell your children to join the page! They can meet the leaders there and the freshman participating. Search for Outdoor Action 2012.</p>

<p>D searched and couldn’t find it. All that came up was Outdoor Action 2011.</p>

<p>S could not find it either. I looked, could not find it. Maybe the name is different?</p>

<p>Really strange…I found it last night but can’t find it now??? I’ll ask DS to see if there is a problem.</p>

<p>Ok now it’s back up. Strange…Let me know if anyone gets on. If not I’ll get my DS to contact Dr. Oneal!</p>

<p>OK, still can’t find it. Can you post a link if you find it again? Or PM me the link? Thanks!</p>

<p>Try this vlines <a href=“https://www.facebook.com/groups/229027960520325/[/url]”>https://www.facebook.com/groups/229027960520325/&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;