outdoor swimming pool

<p>is it me or does UW-Madison not have an outdoor pool for its students for diving and what not? If not, is there a known public outdoor pool i madison?</p>

<p>No outdoor pool on campus- highly impractical in this climate for the school year. You can swim in Lake Mendota off the Memorial Union pier if they have the roped off area and there is no dangerous lake algae. The City of Madison has some pools (check its website)- Park St to Olin Ave may still have one. Many pools have decreased their diving due to insurance costs.</p>

<p>Though filmed at UW Madison, that great looking pool where Rodney Dangerfield does his “Triple Lindy” in “Back to School” is definately not on campus.</p>

<p>The city finally opended a proper public pool a few years ago. The lakes can be iffy due to weeds and algae. Lake Monona tends to be better. BB Clarke Beach is a student favorite.</p>

<p>[Goodman</a> Pool on Olin Avenue - City of Madison, Wisconsin](<a href=“http://www.cityofmadison.com/parks/pool/]Goodman”>Goodman Pool on Olin Avenue - City of Madison, Wisconsin)</p>

<p>That’s the pool I knew of- it had been closed for a while to be redone. Times change and ideas of what a “proper” pool are do also. Pools today tend to be for playing instead of having lap pools that kids try to play in. A lot safer, easier for lifeguards when watching for kids who get in over their heads… Please note that you typically will find tons of kids at public pools, your best bet for serious swimming would still be the indoor lap pools, and on campus with the adult population.</p>

<p>No, it’s nearly brand new (2006) and has not been redone. It was the first major public outdoor pool in Madison.</p>

<p>[Pool</a> History - Goodman Pool - City of Madison, Wisconsin](<a href=“http://www.cityofmadison.com/parks/pool/poolHistory.cfm]Pool”>Pool History - Goodman Pool - City of Madison, Wisconsin)</p>

<p>Some apartment complexes around campus have swimming pools tucked inside or outside of them. One I know for sure is along W. Johnson by Capitol Center Foods. There is a good-sized swimming pool behind it that is available for use for any of the tenants of the several apartment buildings in the area. It’s usually never being used, too.</p>

<p>barrons is correct on the history of the Goodman Pool. It is very new and was built after years of hemming and hawing and much controversy. Two reasons why it was needed: 1) Madison has never had a public swimming pool before, though there have long been several private pools, and 2) the lakes – which had essentially served as public pools – simply got too gross for dependable and healthy use.</p>

<p>A U.W. student spending the summer here might well be able to join one of the private pools. Of course, membership costs a pretty penny. The closest private pool to campus is Shorewood. I think it’s still the largest of all the outdoor pools, too, maybe even the only 50m-in-length outdoor pool in town. And yes, there is diving.</p>

<p>Mostly the pools in Madison cater to families with kids and lap swimming, though each private pool does have a swim (and diving) team.</p>

<p>The lakes getting gross early this year. They work better as backdrops and for boats.</p>

<p>[:</a> Four beaches closed by algae](<a href=“captimes.com | The Capital Times: Madison WI News”>captimes.com | The Capital Times: Madison WI News)</p>