Ownership of a computer? necessary?

<p>well, unlike other universities UW doesnt require one to own a personal computer. Is a personal computer necessary? Do u get notebooks n pcs at reasonable rates in madison?</p>

<p>you can buy a recycled pc for less than 200$ , notebooks for about 450$</p>

<p>I don't care what school you're at... YES YES YES GOD YES.</p>

<p>You do not want to be limited to computer labs.</p>

<p>In the next 4 years Wisconsin campus will be completely wireless meaning you can use your laptop anywhere on campus whether it be bascom hill or camp randall stadium. Definately worth it to get your own laptop as residence halls and libraries are almost all wireless now. Almost any laptop you get these days works with the wireless internet and you will definately want to have one to keep all your work on. No matter what school you go to having your own computer is a must.</p>

<p>okie..but do u get custom configuration notebooks? or do u have to choose from the models already avaliable?</p>

<p>Depends on what you want/need in your system. What do you plan on using it for?</p>

<p>Customization is only particulary important if you specific needs in mind. For example, someone doing gaming is going to want a 7200 RPM hard drive. The average user will be just fine with a 5400 RPM drive.</p>

<p>well i had been admitted to georgia tech but i choose UW cuz of the social scene. I had visited IBM's website specifically for georgia tech students where u could choose a basic model of a notebook n almost cuztomise everything from graphic cards to ram to processors n the custom made notebook would be delivered to ur dorm. Are there any such sites which do the same thing?</p>

<p>All you need is a computer that works with wireless internet. It doesn't matter what kind or type as long as you know how to use word and spreadsheets on it. If you are going to Wisconsin for the social scene I really hope you arent picking your computer based on the quality of games you can play on it.</p>

<p>well i like to have a comp modified acc to my needs so thts y i was asking..well personally i dont like playing games but yea i mite use it to watch movies or something like tht n i def prefer a higher config notebook.</p>

<p>n does UW have students who totally believe in non-piracy or legal downloads or something?? hows the scene on that regard?</p>

<p>PLEASE.....seriously it pains me to read what you write. Just finish the words.</p>

<p>Yeah, seriously, your grammar and spelling is horrible.</p>

<p>Ah. sorry dudes..i just have a habit of writing in slang because I am mostly texting all day so dont realise that. I will definitely take care of it from now on.cheers.. thanks for pointing it out anyways.</p>

<p>What kind of a question is that about downloads? I don't think there is such a scene at any school, you either download illegally or you don't. There is no campus police out to arrest people for piracy, only thing you shouldn't do is download papers and hand them in, pretty sure the teachers all have plagiarism screeners by now.</p>

<p>Ah ok. what about MPAA and RIAA do they keep an eye for downloaders from the universities ?
Papers, well i never had the habit of downloading them, so i should be ok.
thanks anyways for the reply</p>

<p>it is easier to detect piracy on school networks if that's what you're asking. Not only do most schools have the p2p ports closed/blocked (not sure if wisco does), but anyone who downloads massive amounts of files on a university network is more discernible than someone doing the same on a commercial network...</p>

<p>Then what are the sources of new hollywood flicks on campus ? I have also seen a 6 GB limit on traffic..jeez thats bad</p>