Oxford and other summer study abroad Bama programs

<p>I saw from another thread that there is already a waitlist for UA Oxford. </p>

<p>Son is lacking in honors courses, and we’re hoping he will take advantage of his NMF summer stipend and do a summer abroad to take care of those courses.</p>

<p>He’d like to go to England, or another English speaking country, and we’d feel better if he went on a program with UA staff.</p>

<p>Are there any other programs out there that are not competitive or space limited that would be of interest or available to an engineering major?</p>

<p>Son needs one more humanities course, and probably two more honors courses. His engineering curriculum, plus CBH, leaves little room for extra courses, so, although he’s not happy about the prospect, looks like another summer session will be in order.</p>

<p>Thanks for any help!</p>

<p>Have your son put himself on the Oxford waiting list. Many kids sign up but then change their minds for various reasons.</p>

<p>Also, have your son visit the Study Abroad office in BB Comer to find out about the other English speaking faculty led programs.</p>

<p>Mom, do you know who he would contact to get on the Oxford waiting list? Would it be someone in the Honors college or at BB Comer?</p>

<p>Thanks for the help. I’ll have him check into those programs.</p>

<p>Montegut: CBHP should count for honors classes, so he should be okay in reaching the needed credits.</p>

<p>As for another English-speaking country, Alabama Action Abroad is going to Belize this May. UA also has had a program in New Zealand.</p>

<p>Dr. Robert Halli works with the UA program at Oxford. Your son could e-mail him.</p>

<p>oxford contact</p>

<p>UA Faculty Director: Tricia McElroy, <a href=“mailto:tmcelroy@ua.edu”>tmcelroy@ua.edu</a></p>

<p>Thanks for the contacts. Do you know who does the New Zealand program? That might be of interest as well.</p>

<p>Momreads, I know your son is at least bilingual. How did he fare with the language on his world tour this summer?</p>

<p>UA Study Abroad program link:</p>

<p>[Programs</a> > List All > The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://ua.studioabroad.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.ListAll]Programs”>http://ua.studioabroad.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Programs.ListAll)</p>

<p>Montegut: My son had no trouble traveling around Europe, because everyone, it seems, speaks English. So do not fear sending your son to study in a non-English speaking country. You learn to function quickly.</p>

<p>Wow! There’s a waitlist already? Only 18 kids went on the trip this past summer (including my D.)</p>

<p>^^^^</p>

<p>I think students should put themselves on the waitlist. There are families that aren’t going to agree with paying the $8k (or whatever) it costs to go there. And, I believe that there are some additional optional weekend trips that can add up.</p>

<p>Don’t think the cost includes all airfare either…but I could be wrong.</p>

<p>RobD…how much do you think the total cost was for everything…airfare, weekend excursions, spending money, the program, some meals, etc? (not including the NMF 2000 deduction)</p>

<p>*So do not fear sending your son to study in a non-English speaking country. You learn to function quickly. *</p>

<p>I think the concern is where the classes aren’t taught in English. Traveling won’t be a big issue, but being in a class that isn’t taught in English would be.</p>

<p>No, it doesn’t include airfare (and that runs high to London in the summer: $1450 rt which I thought was nuts, but my months long searching didn’t find anything significantly less than that.) </p>

<p>Program cost: $7450
airfare: $1450
spending $$$: $1000-$1200 roughly (including quite a few meals: lunch every day, dinner Fri-Sun; theater tickets, British Open tickets, souvenirs, etc.) </p>

<p>So total was about $10,000. </p>

<p>D said wow as well about the waitlist.</p>

<p>*
So total was about $10,000.
*</p>

<p>for that reason I strongly suspect that there will be kids who’ve signed up who won’t end up going. </p>

<p>Anyone who still wants to go should go ahead and sign up for the waitlist.</p>

<p>Anyone know of any summer scholarships? Dr. Fran Oneal has been less than useful in helping me find one to help offset summer study abroad. Trying to go on this trip, but I’m apparently one of the only people in the world here who isnt NMF and so dont have the stipend and actually pay for room and board.</p>

<p>I don’t think there are many scholarships available for study abroad simply because it’s kind of luxury thing to do. It’s not the kind of thing that many donors are going to be putting their money towards to fund.</p>

<p><a href=“https://ua.studioabroad.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Abroad.ViewLink&Parent_ID=BF6ECA94-26B9-58D3-F53463F3D425D0EB&Link_ID=3FA45A88-26B9-58D3-F549E33328418F22[/url]”>https://ua.studioabroad.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=Abroad.ViewLink&Parent_ID=BF6ECA94-26B9-58D3-F53463F3D425D0EB&Link_ID=3FA45A88-26B9-58D3-F549E33328418F22&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;