Packet with 8 college app fee waivers from College Board

<p>Did anyone else receive the packet today from The College Board with 8 college application fee waivers? I can't find much information about this, other than they sent them to the top 15% minority scorers. Usually this is associated with low-income, and we don't qualify.</p>

<p>I wish we got it, but no such luck. Then again, we are having a problem already ignoring email from individual colleges offering fee waivers (the Case Western, Tulane, etc. type of things). When it is free to apply and you get an app that is close to filled out it is hard to ignore (for me!).
Daughter keeps saying “Mom we are trying to NARROW this list…not add to it!!”
Point taken. Guess it is better we did not get the packet you mention picktails! But good for you…if the colleges are ones you are interested in, that is a nice surprise!
T</p>

<p>I had read the article recently about this new program and I really wondered how the college board was going to identify “low income”…</p>

<p>“The group, the College Board, is sending a package of information on top colleges to every senior who has an SAT or Preliminary SAT score in the top 15 percent of test takers and whose family is in the bottom quarter of income distribution.”</p>

<p>The only thing I could come up with was if the student was taking the SAT on a waiver. Since you are not low income now I am doubly curious…maybe they decided to just send them to anyone in the top 15%? Does your school pay for the SAT or something unusual like that that may have appeared like a waiver? My son is only a Jr, and probably won’t plan to retake the SAT next fall, but if there are 8 waivers involved it might be a good investment! </p>

<p>But then, SAT scores haven’t been released yet-were the waivers based on an SAT from the last school year?</p>

<p>Picktails. In reading the link below. It appears that income is not the only determining factor. It seems that this form is completed by the student with the assistance of a GC and can be issued based on knowledge the GC knows of family circumstance. If that is the case, then perhaps that is the reason. </p>

<p>[College</a> Application Fee Waivers](<a href=“http://professionals.collegeboard.com/guidance/applications/fee-waivers]College”>College Application – Counselors | College Board)</p>

<p>There is a very knowledgeable poster here on CC who is a fine GC. I hope she can help to clear this up.</p>

<p>Nope, honestly our GC is clueless. My daughter is the only AA student in her class, and we had to explain to HER about National Achievement (my daughter is a semi-finalist.) Minority students are few and far between in our district; my D’s best friend (Korean) got the packet also - not a low socioeconomic household either.
We have a college counselor helping us who specializes in minority applicants to top tier schools, and she had never heard of this offer to middle class students. It seems they mailed to the top 15% minority scoreres, regardless of income. Very strange.</p>

<p>Today my D received an email from Northwestern with an application fee waiver! Is this normal? We’re thrilled, as NW is one of her top choices, but our income was about $126 k last year and this seems strange. Are they just that desperate for qualified minority applicants?</p>

<p>picktails I received this packet around April or May last year I believe, and I was very confused as to why I got it at the time since I had not even taken the SATs then. I recently got a follow up card that said I would have to mark that I have financial need to use them. I don’t have need (my income isn’t as high as yours, it’s just not what would qualify) so I’m unsure if I will be still able to use them. I will call CollegeBoard to find out though. Also congrats on the Northwestern thing! I wish I got one lol.</p>

<p>I received the same packet. I was confused because I don’t qualify for a fee waver, so can I still use them? I’m a little hesitant to do so haha. I am Hispanic</p>

<p>Yes, got the Northwestern Fee waiver email.
Also received a Carleton email with offer for a subsidized visit.
Both of the above were related to NA Semifinalist status. If I understand correctly from parents who have been there/done that, a lot more of these are to follow. Others have come already, but not from schools like NW.
Picktails: I have ‘heard’ the NW is tough on middle class families…very large loan packages with some merit. Do you have any information that confirms or contradicts this.
T</p>

<p>I asked my D if the SAT has a question about the range of parent income, but she said no. I showed the packet to the woman advising us this morning, and this is new to her as well. </p>

<p>My D submitted her app to Yale last night (!) and checked the part for fee waiver; today I mailed the accompanying sheet sent by the College Board to Yale admissions per the instructions. I see no reason NOT to use them - we did not apply nor ask for them, rather they are unsolicited assistance.</p>

<p>My only guess is that the top tier is truly desperate for qualified URM applicants so they are trying something new…</p>

<p>taben1112 - just did a quick look on the NW website - based on income, the aid packages seem to swing from 75% scholarship to only 25%. Not too bad, but main reason we are going to wait to see the offers from everywhere!</p>

<p>My son just received the packet with fee waivers described above. A quick Google search yielded this thread :). We are SO excited about the waivers because we could spend a small fortune on application fees. His latest scores haven’t been posted yet, so I’m very hopeful this means the scores are really good! I am somewhat perplexed though. We do not meet the low income guidelines. I’m well aware of all the ways that information is collected since I am a teacher at my son’s high school. The only possible minority he could find himself is “rural Appalachian.” I think it speaks volumes for our state (NC) right now if my husband and I (both public school teachers) fall into the need-based bracket. Anyway…I really do have a question…do any of you know if the fee waivers can be used for schools he has already applied to? He submitted for the early deadline at Appalachian State ($50, I think) and UNC Chapel Hill ($80). I sure would LOVE to have that money back!!! Thanks :).</p>

<p>We received this as well. My son is not URM. We thought it may have to do with the scores, but were unsure. We definitely do not qualify for need-based. I plan to use them. </p>

<p>mtnprotracy, I would doubt they would reimburse you for fees you have already paid, but it wouldn’t hurt to call and ask.</p>

<p>Big discussion going on this topic over on the financial aid board, if anyone is interested.
We are using the waivers, btw.</p>