Pandemic, megathreads and moderation

So what is the point of this thread anymore??? This thread is becoming the poster child for all the reasons it was started!!!

Not sure what else can be accomplished here. We have given opinions and now admin will see if/when/how they want to make any changes, keep the same or whatever.

Don’t get me wrong I appreciate the chance to give input but it feels like the merry go round keeps going in circles.

(I also have no problem trying to find this thread since it is pinned on the cafe - but that’s how I read the CC - go straight into the Parent Cafe).

^Weird. I can’t even find it in the parent cafe.

The thread is pinned with the other pinned threads at the top of the Parents Cafe. It says it’s started by Sorin, and the little lock is on it like when threads are closed. This is because they moved the thread, but then Sorin did pin it in the Parents Cafe.

Same title.

No one said the threads in the cafe need to be college related. That’s why it’s the cafe! The PARENTS’ cafe. Maybe we could each set up our own fan club page!

The suspicious and snarky side of me is starting to wonder if this thread was started to prove a point about moderation, long threads, going off topic, etc. - LOL - did we take the bait?!

( @CCadmin_Jon not a dig to you specifically, but admittedly over time, I/we have become a little skeptical of some of the admin!!!)

@MomofWildChild - haha fan pages - wasn’t that sort of the (bad) concept there was a few years ago where we got those green stars or something for posting, likes or whatever. Oh man, that was a FAIL.

I’ll admit I’ve enjoyed reading more about how different folks feel.

I get to this thread through the Parent’s Cafe where it’s pinned. I wish it would tell me if there were new posts on it or not. It doesn’t. Petty detail really.

The old format was definitely far better than this one for finding things. I’m one who used to be on the pre-med forum a bit both gleaning info from those who knew more and sharing info from my lad’s experience. Now I rarely remember how to get there. I ended up having to bookmark a thread from the forum and occasionally update it so I don’t always end up on Page X of it.

While being in the bored parent category, seeing hundreds of students at school each year (average public high school), many of whom go to college (and other futures), I think I sometimes have some to contribute on top of the places my own three lads went to or checked out.

If you bookmark this thread in the Community & Issues forum - it will show up in “my bookmarks” and with the #of new posts.,

I bookmark every thread I am interested in. Then every once in awhile I’ll click on Parents Cafe or PF to see new threads I might be interested in.

Navigating this site is the worst I’ve ever encountered. And the search function is equally terrible. So, I don’t go into most sub forums like I used to. Simply do not have the time to waste.

This site has way more issues than spending time debating long threads.

I would love to be a moderator except I don’t believe in the heavy hand model used by this site at all, or many of the TOS rules.

I have this thread bookmarked but it doesn’t show up in my notifications like the other bookmarked threads.
I also can’t tell if there are new posts. I click on the pinned location in the Parent Cafe (which is my bookmarked landing page). If it disappears from there, there is no way I’m going to find it again.
This site isn’t easy to navigate. At all. The search function is quite useless as I’ve never managed to use that successfully, then there is the issue of being logged out every 2-3 days for no conceivable reason and finally having no new thread creation option.
I have given up on the latter and usually will just ask my questions in the closest related thread.

@AnAsmom

You need to bookmark it not on Parents Cafe but once you are in the thread - which is in Community Issues Forum.

When you are in Parent Cafe, scroll down to bottom of the page and you will see all your bookmarked threads. If you bookmark this thread on CIF it will show up with number of new posts.

Don’t look in your notifications - go to almost the bottom of the page in any thread to find all you have bookmarked.

It will look like this:

Highlights
Latest Posts
Activity
My Bookmarks
My Threads
College Search & Selection
College Admissions
Financial Aid & Scholarships
SAT and ACT Tests & Test Preparation
Colleges and Universities
Parents Forum
What Are My Chances?
Ivy League
Most Helpful Posts

^ That worked. Thanks @emilybee

Top right hand area of the page. “Ask your question now” in a burnt orange box.

It says something that mostly long time members who are tenacious and interested enough to find this thread are giving each other tutorials on how to navigate the site.

I agree!

I have only been here a few years but IMO the older, more experienced members are the lifeblood of this CC community. It would be a shame to not listen to their concerns. You lose them and I fear this site because a shell of what it use to be.

I’m thankful to @CCadmin_Jon for opening a discussion on moderation. Few boards permit it, and I understand why.

I’ve been here since a very early version of CC (since 2000 maybe?), when I thought I understood the TOS and moderation standard. I’ve only ever had 4 or 5 posts edited by mods - and I even agree with one of those, lol. All within the past 4 years, so I do believe the moderation standard changed. Maybe it was me, but I’ve always made an effort to post within the TOS as I understood them. This is the longest possible way of saying that, if you do change the TOS, please make sure we all know how.

In considering how to moderate an all-Covid forum, I hope TPTB will remember what the lightly-moderated (if at all?) politics forum was like before it was closed. I didn’t read it much, but it was horrifyingly mean and caused collateral damage across the entire site. It wasn’t unusual for bickering posters to chase each other all over the boards and make hurtful personal comments whenever an adversary posted about any topic, whether related to politics or not.

Add me to the list of people who don’t consider mega threads a problem. If it’s easier for the mods to edit them if they’re broken into monthly or even weekly threads that are then closed and continued in a new thread, why not? Wasn’t it a problem not too long ago that CC was way down in traffic, posts, and ad clicks?

Again, genuine thanks to the remaining moderators, even if I do disagree with their decisions from time to time. I could never do their job. (Not nice enough.)

Just as an FYI to @CCadmin_Jon Back when the search feature worked better, I served a role- mainly through PMs- advising students who had disciplinary record issues and even minor legal problems (alcohol, pot, etc). I had posted openly, which I probably wouldn’t do in the current environment, 16 years or so ago about my kid’s journey and application process. I helped a lot of people. It has dwindled off due to site format changes and just the age of many of my posts, but I still get some questions. So- not all the advice happens in the daylight of the forums.

^Agreed! I really appreciate the help I’m getting here and to the other questions I’ve asked before. That is the essential part of being a community that I love and part of what keeps me coming back.

Thanks, @doschicos. However, I still can’t find it. I’m using an iPad and the only thing in the top rh area of this or any page I go to within CC is the magnifying glass. I would be happy to take this and my other questions to a new thread…:slight_smile:

Well, that wasn’t my intention. But, ya know, it has kinda worked out that way. I initially tried to respond to every individual in the thread and after a day that became impossible. I had some concerns about tone at various points, but it does seem to be giving me the feedback I need. I’m working on digesting the feedback and I’ll have a follow up posts in the future. (My current plan is early next week, but I’m not gonna promise that since the future has been particularly unpredictable lately.)

Change to landscape mode; the right side column doesn’t appear in portrait mode.