Panhellenic preview weekend

<p>Can anyone explain exactly want goes on at this event. Should I attend if I’m out of state and plan on rushing in the summer? If so where can I register?</p>

<p>I’m planning on going, since I’m also OOS and rushing next fall. From what I’ve heard, it’s pretty much an overview of what to expect from recruitment, what to wear for different events, etc. You get to meet people from the different sororities around campus and tour the sorority houses. I think it will be really beneficial to go, since I’m not entirely familiar with the Alabama “culture” and process of sorority recruitment. Also, it is a really really good idea to get recommendation letters from alumni of each sorority, so that weekend can be a chance to meet women who can do that. I went here for information and to register: [2013</a> Spring Panhellenic Preview Day - February 23, 2013](<a href=“THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA PANHELLENIC ASSOCIATION”>THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA PANHELLENIC ASSOCIATION) </p>

<p>I think it will be a really fun weekend! :)</p>

<p>If you are able to attend Preview Weekend then I would register and go. The actual “program” put on by UA’s Panhellenic is on Saturday. You are able to check in Friday evening from 5:30 to 7:30 in the North Zone of Bryant Denny Stadium. You are also able to check in on Saturday morning from 9 to 10:30 as well (same place).
The program for the girls begins at 12:30. Panhellenic will talk about the process of recruitment at Alabama. They will discuss what to wear, recommendations, GPA as well as how to go through the recruitment successfully (you will hear the words “Maximize your options” a lot!). At about 1:30 you will be broken into Rho Chi groups. These groups are done alphabetically and each will have 2 or 3 sorority members as leaders. Rho Chi is short for Recruitment Counselor.
When you return for recruitment in August you will be assigned a Rho Chi group at Convocation. Your Rho Chi is your support system during recruitment. She has disaffiliated from her sorority for the week of recruitment…you will not know what house she is a member of. She is someone you can talk to about anything!
So at Preview you will be put into Rho Chi groups (they are numbered) and you will visit each sorority for a very brief period of time (about 10 minutes). This give you a chance to see in each house, potentially speak with a member or 2 and in some cases watch a very short video about the sorority. You will line up on the sidewalks just like you would for recruitment but there will be no door songs. this part of the day goes from 2 to 7 pm. You will not be allowed to bring any personal items into any of the sorority houses. It’s funny to see all of the purses lying out on the lawns! Your Rho Chi will remain outside of the house and watch the personal items.
While you are visiting the sorority houses your mother (or parents) have their own info session. Panhellenic will give them lots of information about finances (billing is done through a group called Greek Resources), recommendations, what type of clothing you will need, the process of recruitment. The sororities will set up tables with information about their chapter. Parents will be able to walk around and look at these as well as talk to the several members who will be at each table.
So…it’s a great day! Last year we had over 1000 girls attend…it was packed! We are expecting at least that many again this year. I am glad that check in is at two times…last year the lines were insanely long!<br>
If you have any other questions feel free to ask. Go if you are able…it’s a valuable experience!</p>

<p>ESP for the March 16 weekend. Make your reservations now.</p>

<p>Part of the reason for the March 16th weekend hotel bookings is it is Fraternity Preview Weekend.</p>

<p>Would it be hard for an out of state girl from the North with no rec letters to join a sorority?</p>

<p>yes. you NEED rec letters. no doubt about it.</p>

<p>You need recs…period! FYI… we have many girls who are from “the north” go through successfully and receive bids but they all have recs. If you need help finding recs pm me …I can help you find the resources you need in order to obtain recs :).</p>

<p>OK thank you so much!! :)</p>

<p>Sunshine341…we are from Chicago and had no greek affilations at all except for my D’s older sister who is in a sorority in Iowa. My D had a very successfull recruitment…BUT we had rec’s.</p>

<p>If you are from the Chicagoland area…PM me and I will give you the contact information for a local Panhellenic that will help you with rec’s.</p>

<p>Being from the North is NOT a handicap…not having rec’s is! </p>

<p>You can find them…many here will help. Trust me, D is just finishing up her first semester and it was worth every bit of time and effort that we put into it. She loves her house and loves Greek life at Alabama.</p>

<p>Definitely go to the Preview Day if you have any thoughts about going through rush. It will be a great opportunity to meet new people and get a feel for Greek life. My daughter picked her roommate before going and was able to meet her there and I was able to meet her parents. It will also be important for your parents to understand what is involved, including the financial obligations. </p>

<p>Try to go to some of the parties the houses have during the preview weekend. Some of them are open to everyone and some are by invitation only. My daughter only got one or 2 invites, but I think it was because she didn’t sign up until the last minute. When you plan your trip, allow time to attend the parties. They start Friday night and go into Sunday. </p>

<p>My daughter is from PA and did well throughout the rush process even though she really wasn’t sure she wanted to do it. There are some houses that cut many OOS students, but I think it’s becoming less of an issue each year because of the large number of OOS students. My daughter and her OOS friends are all in different houses and happy with their choices.</p>

<p>A few quick questions…<br>
If we have someone that is a UA alum that was in a sorority, can she call the chapter and ask if they can invite my D?<br>
As for the Recs for rush, do we just not contact them for a Rec until after Preview?<br>
We are busy getting all of our Rec people lined up and not sure if we should contact them now to make a quick rec for Preview?</p>

<p>I am trying to register my daughter for the preview weekend, and it has an area where it asks us to upload an image. Does anyone know if we are supposed to post a picture?</p>

<p>Thanks for you help.</p>

<p>Yes, a picture of your daughter. Probably a nice head shot that is flattering and looks as she will look at Preview.</p>

<p>@TxNewCollegeMom - Yes, your alumna friend can do call the chapter. She could also e-mail with particulars. Might be good to call first and then follow up with an e-mail to the appropriate officers. That’s great if she’s willing to do that. Recs are not needed for preview weekend. Recs should be sent after graduation, when she has copies of her final transcript. You’ll want to give a packet to each person who’s writing a rec - resume, photo(s), transcript. The resume should include parents’ names as well as the other usual stuff. You’re in Texas - those Texas sorority alumnae really know how to do it up right! Find an alumnae panhellenic near you and put yourself and your daughter in their hands!</p>

<p>whyme1, on the picture make sure that her hair will be styled the same way on Preview weekend and same color. If her hair is straight in the picture then wear it straight at Preview.</p>

<p>Southlander, thank you! We were not sure for Preview. Thanks!</p>

<p>Just wanted to say thank you for your help! Just a warning - you’ll probably be hearing from us again!</p>

<p>So do recs not have to necessarily have to be from somebody who knows you well? What exactly are these recs like?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>The recs basically are a form that arranges the info you give in a format that’s the same for everybody. Every sorority’s is different. YOU do not fill out a rec; that is for the sorority alumnae.
I do not know well every girl I write a rec on. But I know someone who knows them and/or their family well.</p>

<p>Southlander is correct…you don’t fill out the rec. I constantly preach about resumes for the above reason. When you give the alum who is filling out your rec packet (resume, 2 pics, stamped addressed envelope, thank you note) she will in turn use your resume to help her fill out your rec. If she “knows” you then it is easier for her to speak to some of the questions on the rec (character traits) but if she doesn’t know you then a very complete and concise resume is VERY important. I have to tell you a big pet peeve of mine is to have to call a PNM multiple times for information because her resume is incomplete. To be honest most times a girl asks me to write a rec I ask for her resume first. If it is incomplete or needs to be reworked I will make suggestions.
If you reach out to Panhellenics in your area for recs make sure that you make yourself available to these ladies. What that means is that you should be prepared to meet for coffee, lunch or a snack. At the minimum I usually skype or phone chat with a PNM at least once.<br>
Of course it is desirable to have recs written by women who know you or your family. For some this is just not doable. You then need to reach out to your local Panhellenics or alum associations. We call these recs “info recs” but at competitive schools like Alabama where recs are a MUST an info rec is better than no rec at all.</p>