Parent of Two, Highly Knowledgeable in Financial Aid Matters - ASK ME ANYTHING!

Thanks! s FAFSA changing in 2024-25?

The bulk of the changes will be implemented for the 2023-24 financial aid award year; this is the FAFSA that “opens” October 1, 2022. The changes will carry forward for future years. Congress does make changes from time to time, and Federal Student Aid is always collecting data with the goal of trying to make federal aid better serve the neediest students.

2 Likes

Many of the FAFSA changes have been pushed back one year to 2024-25, here is an NASFAA summary:

https://www.nasfaa.org/news-item/25713/ED_Details_Implementation_Plans_for_FAFSA_Changes

The NASFAA summary mirrors what is currently in the Federal Register:

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2021/06/17/2021-12762/early-implementation-of-the-fafsa-simplification-acts-removal-of-requirements-for-title-iv

Thank you @Mwfan1921 and @kelsmom !

Once the older one graduates, she is independent for FAFSA. You won’t have to fill hers out for grad school so she wouldn’t get to claim her sibling anyway. If she is taking a year off before grad school, she won’t be in school for the 2024-25 school year, so no, you won’t have 2 in school at the same time.

2 Likes

I never understood how it was “equitable” to have number of kids in college at the same time considered for aid (for the reasons noted in the article you posted). Of course, my kids were four years apart in college, so never any overlap. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Haha. I love how ED gets to say that changes have to be put off because they are hard to implement. If only schools could claim the same when ED throws difficult to implement changes at them 
 sometimes even making them retroactive.

1 Like

I have a question, if my SS# is under my Maiden name but I have been using my married name for years on my taxes and nothing ever came up until today when FAFSA said there was a mismatch, is this a big issue?

It can be worked out. What was the message you received?

You need to take your marriage certificate to the SSA and get it changed. It could have happened any time with taxes. I’ve heard of people who have been married many years suddenly getting their taxes bounced for this reason.

Did they approve your FSA-ID? If not, can the other parent get the FSA ID for the FAFSA?

Actually
did this poster change to her married name when she got married?

The question is
.why did she file taxes using a different name than what was on her SS card. If she kept her maiden name
no problem
folks do that. But if not
agree
time to change the SS.

I actually didn’t realize that I never changed my name with SS. Taxes were always fine with the wrong name/SS combo. I found out when I applied for a new job (17 years later) & I had to change it with SS before they would hire me.

In this case, the FAFSA did process (per information on a thread in the FA forum). At the schools where I worked, we did monitor for this sort of mismatch, and we would have required proof that the names were for the same person. We were always able to figure it out. However, I would strongly encourage you to go to SS right away & change your name. It will save you from future issues 
 and be sure to retain proof of the change to give to schools when they contact you to clarify the mismatch.

The Fafsa was successfully processed it said as I was parent number 2. We got a SAR.

Did not change name, thought I did, but apparently not! Will have to go to SA!

Another question, We completed CSS as well on the 15th and afterwards I have received several emails saying the school is needing more info. I see that my uploads haven’t been processed yet. Should I leave it until then? Not sure what to do.

My husband was the primary parent and there was no issue. But after processed, it is listed under things to review like will my son apply to the service or something. He didn’t because he is still only 17.

The selective service flag is standard. If he didn’t check the option to be automatically registered when he turns 18, the schools are required to follow up to make sure he registers (Register | Selective Service System : Selective Service System).

I encourage you to be proactive. Reach out to each school to explain the mismatch, and ask each what they need from you to resolve it.

This started happening with my friends in the adoption communities when applying for adoptions in the late ‘90s/2000 (especially after 9/11) and then if our kids’ names didn’t match their SSN when they filed taxes. Before 2001 (when the Child’s Citizenship Act took place), people would get SSN for their kids in their birth names to file taxes and get the deductions and the tax credit, then do the adoptions in the US and get citizenship and change the name. They’d forget to change the SSA name, so the first time they filed taxes the name and number wouldn’t match and the tax return would be bounced or all the deductions for that child denied. Then the IRS started noticing that the woman’s name didn’t match either, and bounce the whole thing.

If the IRS didn’t notice the name/number mismatch, it was also a problem when the kids applied for driver’s licenses or work permits around age 16, and if they still slipped through, the SSA got a second chance to flag it for FAFSA.

When my father died, the SSA asked my mother for her marriage certificate. She panicked as “I never had one, how do I get that! I was married 65 years ago.” Luckily, she’d collected SS under my father’s number when she first started collecting at 65, switched to her own account (got more money) and then when he died she went back to his (more money). They accepted that she had been married to him and let it go.

SSA is a treat.

Hi. Two questions

1. My D is a college freshman. She received a private scholarship that is paid directly to her college but it’s unclear if the scholarship will arrive before the 2nd semester tuition bill is due. We will be paying the balance from her 529 account directly to the school. If we don’t want to take the chance that the scholarship will arrive on time and we pay the entire bill, but then the scholarship does arrive on time, is that a problem with the IRS that we took too much out of the 529?

2. Is the process for financial aid/merit scholarships different for graduate school than undergrad?

Thank you!

Contact those schools!

1 Like