Parents and students concerned with financial aid, please read

<p>@mrssoffel‌ The exact same thing happened to me. I was an ED student and never received my FA package until around a week ago due to the missing SSN and citizen status. They did not email me about the missing SSN and my missing citizen status. It was only when I emailed them did they finally add the missing information. I’m assuming a mistake was made in the transferring of the data from the CA to their database. In the NYU dinner, they stated that this year, 52,000 people applied. That’s the most applications NYU has ever got. The financial aid officers are only human so it’s natural that mistakes would be made.That aside, I think they downloaded your daughter’s CA data (the transcripts and such), looked at it and decided whether or not you would admitted from there. That is probably how they admitted your daughter without looking at the SSN. I could be wrong, but I’m fairly certain that’s what happened. Finally, as for “why did they not request this information previously?”, I honestly do not know. The Financial Aid office seems very unorganized this year. I hope this answered some of your questions. </p>

<p>@shinegray Thank you for your response. As of this date, we still do not have any FA info from NYU, so it’s safe to say my D is ruling it out. I finally got through to the office yesterday, and spoke to a rather curt FA officer who was not very helpful, but in the end updated my D’s application. She said she did not even have my D’s ID number in the system, and when I asked why Albert had nothing in her To Do list, she said, “Oh this wouldn’t be in there.” She said her FA package would be ready in 3-5 business days, and when I asked it she would have it by decision day, she said “When is that?” “Oh May 1st? She should have it by then.” Pretty discouraging.</p>

<p>The FAFSA deadline for nyu Shangai is 15 Feb 2015???</p>

<p>i dont know for sure, but considering that FAFSA activates January 1st, that sounds reasonable</p>

<p>I’m an international applicant. I’m not applying for Financial Aid and will be paying the full fees. However, will I still be eligible for scholarships? Also, due to any unforeseen problem, if I might not be able to pay the full fee in my second year, then can I apply for financial aid AT THAT POINT?</p>

<p>nyu is my #1 choice (planning to do ed2) but if I am looking for a good financial aid, should I do regular decision? </p>

Hi,
Does anyone know if you have to fill out the CSS to receive merit-based scholarships only? We would not qualify for need-based financial aid.

I completed fafsa and css with estimated numbers based on last year’s tax return before the due date they were asking. Now my son was accepted (ED 2) and got great financial aid offer from NYU.

I’m just wondering do I have to still update fafsa and css even though he already got the financial aid offer??? I just filed tax for 2014 and I’m ready to update fafsa and css if it’s needed.

@nico3949 from what I’ve read, you’ll have to update it again in January. I got a scholarship from Tisch and that was what I saw I needed to do in order to keep it so I believe that applies for financial aid too

Thanks, Awakening. I actually went to the Financial Aid office in Manhattan last week. They said we all have to update css and fafsa. It’s not too late to do so.

I am an international student (indian). It isn’t possible for me to attend nyu without financial aid. Is nyu generous enough. Nyu is really first choice for me. My expected EFC is about 5000$ (about 3,00,000 INR).

Dear IvyOrNothing - NYU makes it very clear that it does not give financial aid to non-US citizens. It is not the same as some of the Ivy League colleagues that offer financial aid to all students, regardless of citizenship. I’m afraid you are going to have to finance your own studies if you want to attend NYU.

Has anyone else not received a financial offer yet or is it just me?

I haven’t either

50,000 annual scholarship to CAS, it’s possible guys!

Tisch gave me $69,000 a year and I’m completely stunned after all the terrible things I’ve heard.

I was not awarded a work -study in my financial aid package. Can I get a work - study program to supportmy stay there after I join the classes in the first year itself?

@Hrithu no. you can still look for employment on campus but it is less likely to find one since all the employment sites would have to pay all your wages (in work study the government pays half your wages) and they have to go outside their budgets allocates for students with work study, who have priority

@tangello I ha dthe same problem till a week later my pell grant, work study and loans appeared in my financial aid summary. their probably still processing it if it hasnt shown up yet.

@MiamiToNY : thnks… can I get a work study offer only with my fin aid package or can I get it after I get there?