Parents and students concerned with financial aid, please read

@Hrithu I think you can only get it with fin aid as it is a type of federal aid. I mean you can still get employment off campus. If you show more need next year perhaps you can get offered work study then

Excuse me if I sound stupid, but would I receive any income from the work study or does it all go toward tuition?

You keep the money that you earn while working your Work Study job. Although your financial aid package looks like Work Study comes off the tuition costs, it doesnā€™t. You will be responsible for paying that amount of your tuition, but you can earn the money back if you decide to work a Work Study job.

has any1 accepted their financial aid packages yet? I am trying to accept it but i canā€™t.

I am in the same situation. We cannot click on the checkboxes.

No one can accept their financial aid until May 1st. So donā€™t worry.

I still canā€™t acceptā€¦ Itā€™s May 2ndā€¦

I had a 4.2 weighted GPA and a 34 ACT and I got a 25K CAS Scholarship and got into the CAS Presidential Scholars group. This stuff does happen people. Donā€™t be disillusioned.

Any one else here having to turn down NYU because of moneyā€¦?

@LordJeanPierre Iā€™m sure they do, but rarely when they apply early decision. In my own opinion, it wouldnā€™t be too wise to legally bind yourself to a college that you wonā€™t be able to pay for (or at most barely make it through), which is probably what most people think when applying early to NYU. Iā€™m not sure if this works, but I know of someone who called up his dream school who accepted him (not NYU) with no scholarship, but was able to get $15k/yr out of them just by calling their admissions office and bargaining with them, saying that other schools offered him x amount of money, so it wouldnā€™t be very harmful just to give them a call if you donā€™t like how much money they offered you and truly couldnā€™t pay if you attended. But anyway, whether or not you choose NYU, good luck on your college search!

@adreamer22 Thanks, I plan on bargaining with another FA offer from a different school, hoping for the best

@LordJeanPierre I did last year. NYU ā€œmetā€ my full need, but that included more than $28K in loans. I went to Columbia where my grant covered everything. NYU does occasionally give great financial aid but not as a matter of course. NYU had been my #1 choice.

My financial aid consisted of loans, and lots of unsubsidised ones too. I was offered grants but far fewer than anyplace else. Donā€™t know how I can ask my parents to borrow heavily when no other university expected them to.

I got a 55k scholarship to Stern and the rest in loans. But, my EFC was about 7000. If my parentā€™s income would go from 70k to 100k in a year, would that 55k drop by a lot?

Jumping in this conversation - Iā€™m waiting on a decision from NYU but I have no idea how much to expect in scholarship money. Itā€™s definitely my first choice but I had assumed that I would not be able to afford it and would have to go to my second choice, but it seems like a lot of people have gotten more substantial offers than I would have expected. Thereā€™s a large range of offers on this thread but few people have included their stats alongside their offer. Would anyone like to share? Iā€™m looking at Gallatin with a 31 ACT, a 3.8 GPA, plenty of extracurriculars, 5 honors and 3 AP classes.

@dragonfly26 I have the same act and unweighted gpa of 3.81 weighted of 4.09. I got accepted to CAS with only about 9300 dollars a year. but my parents do have three house properties other than the house we live in so I guess thatā€™s why I didnā€™t receive much scholarship

@kker98 Hmm, interesting. Thanks so much!

Last year, I had an EFC of 0 and NYC offered me some grant aid but the majority was in loans and parental PLUS loans. The gap was like $20k. Columbia and Amherst offered me a full ride with zero loans. I wouldnā€™t expect much from NYU unless they really love you.

just be aware of deadlines!!! They never accept anything late!!! I learned the hard way. I was accepted to NYU, my dad (parents are divorced) never filled out the noncustodial CSS profile and I was stuck with $73000 a year! needless to say I didnā€™t end up going.

But keep in mind, NYU is not necessarily worth $73000/yr. No school is worth that so really keep everything in perspective.

Hmm. Iā€™m low income and NYC offered me a bucket load of loans. They even expect my parents to go heavily indent with PLUS loans despite their age and earning capacity. I can only conclude that I am not one of their highly rated applicants and so they have admitted me assuming I wonā€™t attend. Odd that another university in NYC offered my all grants and no loans.