Parents and students concerned with financial aid, please read

I got into NYU today and they want me to pay over $60 k in loans! I’m from a single-parent house hold and I could not get my father to do the CSS Noncustodial thing and because of that, I won’t be able to afford this school. My mom barely even makes that much in a year! It’s incredibly disappointing because I was so excited when I got the email that I got admitted, but now I probably will not be able to attend :frowning:

NYU gapped me about 20k on my aid (and 50,000 in loans certainly isn’t going to do much for me). I’m probably going to BU which gave me a much better package.

My child got into Tandon. Ballpark numbers… $30,000 Tandon Scholarship and $10,000 George Bachman Scholarship… then pell grant, loans etc. Does anyone know if this “Tandon Scholarship” and “George Bachman Scholarship” are renewable each year? So are these merit based aid or could the amounts change year to year based on parental income?.. I.e. Need based aid? It doesn’t state whether these are merit aid or need based aid. Anyone know?

Thanks

@extrapeppermint Happened to me too. My numbers were almost identical to yours. Columbia and Pomona gave me all grants. I really liked NYU but am not borrowing over $200K to go there.

D got text message of acceptance on Thursday, got the FinAid information soon after. $1k Scholarship and $69K in Fed Loans…This is for the same A/A+ student who has been offered Merit based money covering 40-50% of the total cost at GW, Tulane, Miami, and several others. Who in their right mind would take on $280,000 in loans. Looks like we just opened a slot for a waitlisted student who hopefully will get a better package.

@KingFish2016 Unlike universities that pledge to meet “full demonstrated need”, NYU awards financial aid selectively, i.e. they give full FA to those students they really want and then gap students they are less interested in having enrol. It was the same for me. Seems your D has some great choices.

I got a full ride to Nyu. Totally shocked but the total cost is covered with only a 3,000 loan. Does anyone know if I should expect the 60,000 in scholarship money to be renewed each year or what?

Almost a full ride to NYU, with less than $2000 in loans each year.

Zegar Diamond Scholarship - $16375
CAS Scholarship - $47670
Pell Grant - $5815
Subsidized Loan 1 - $1950

So shocked and excited. Outside scholarships will probably be able to cover the loans. I definitely am a competitive applicant for NYU (this was a match school, almost a safety), and my mom only makes $19000 a year for a family of four. I think the high stats and low-income status, paired with some bomb ass essays, really funded my education.

@Swimmer1025 Congratulations, would you share your stats with us? Trying to figure out why my S only got very expensive loans.

Daughter accepted Tisch for Cinema Studies but cannot access any scholarship/financial aid information. says hasnt been determined yet - anyone else had this?

Accepted, but we are still waiting for news of financial aid.

@MamaDeer
ACT: 33
SAT: 2100
GPA: 4.0 UW, 4.4 W
I took 9 AP classes throughout high school, and around 7 honors. My high school is a competitive public school that tends to send a few kids off to top colleges each year. My essays were very personal, and my NYU specific essay really showed how much I wanted to attend the school. I have 300+ hours of community service in my community at local kid growth centers, rape crisis centers, and also from my startup summer reading program for kids in my neighborhood who are too poor to afford books and have no sort of parental guidance. I also started my school’s LGBT club, and have been involved in other various leadership clubs. I have done XC/track three years of high school. I’m also a QuestBridge National College Match Finalist which I’m sure pressured NYU into giving me more aid since they knew other top institutions would be giving me phenomenal offers. I think NYU is a perfect fit for me and I am so happy that they felt the same. Best of luck!

1 Like

Accepted to Stern with a full ride! I’m so excited!

@Swimmer1025 Thanks for that info and congratulations! I think I discovered the issue. He was accepted to Tisch and they do not offer merit scholarships. All Tisch scholarships are need based and I knew we wouldn’t qualify for those. He will still go but we will just have to work harder to pay for it. He is so excited! His top choice! Best of luck to you!

Is there any way to appeal financial aid offers from NYU? I’ve heard that most people usually do not, but was just wondering. Thanks!

You certainly can appeal, but your chances of success are low unless you have new circumstances, you made an error on your FAFSA or CSS, or NYU made an err in their calculations. You should note that NYU is famous for NOT meeting the full need of candidates. Some students get very good financial aid but most get given loads of loans.

@widgetmidget Thank you for the information!

@klingon97 , I can’t imagine turning down Columbia or Pomona to attend NYU to begin with. NYU is not in their league for undergraduate education.

@MiddleburyDad2 I’d say Stern is competitive with the top business schools for undergraduates.

The comparison is to Columbia and Pomona, neither of which offer undergraduate business degrees.

I stand by my statement.