Parents: Apartments around VT & Binge Drinking

<p>I think this discussion is silly. ANYONE who has been to college knows there is sex and drugs and drinking and rock & roll. If you are worried go live next door see how that works. No one college is exempted from these activities. Not ONE.</p>

<p>Right. Tell that to a hokie parent whos child gets killed as the result of a DUI accident, a balcony caving in, or some other preventable incident as a result of these parties</p>

<p>When has a balcony caved in at VT? You’re taking something that is a bit of a problem and could be alleviated and blowing it completely out of proportion either because you’re bitter about living near a college and rowdy kids or for some other reason I haven’t been able to figure out.</p>

<p>Also, were you the, ahem, kind gentleman who decided to IM me using the aim address I have on here with more or less exactly what you’ve been saying on here, but with considerably worse grammar?</p>

<p>Smiller:</p>

<p>Since you seem to think you know more than everybody else and college is a frighteningly scary experience that children should be sheltered from, maybe you should home school them. You could play Scrabble all night and not have to come on here and pretend you know what college is like! Wouldn’t that be great?</p>

<p>I think the dude is having a breakdown cause the kid is going to college. I feel you pain. You got 3 choices. Keep them home, follow them to school or let them go. If you did you job as a parent you should have nothing to worry about. If you didn’t, it’s too late. Good luck. 4th choice, go see a shrink.</p>

<p>He, I appreciate SMiller’s opinion on this topic, and I certainly do think that college kids need to control their drinking. However, banning parties (if that could even be done) at off-site complexes hardly seems to be the solution to the problem. I agree with othe posts on this thread that state that as long as the individual is of legal age, then the drinking activity is legal.</p>

<p>Hey, I grew up in the Burg and attended VT in the 80’s. Did I participate in some off-campus parties and what would be considered binge drinking? Yes. However, doing so led me to “know my limits” and made me a more mature adult when it comes to alcohol and responsibilities. Let me contrast my experience with the experience of others my age when I graduated from VT. I was in the VT Corps of Cadets, so I became commissioned in the US Army after graduation. The fellow officers with whom I served that had attended West point, where there were no parties allowed, were usually the ones who were most inebriated at parties and social events during my Army tenure. In my opinion, their lack of “party participation” during their West Point college days had led to them not learning their limits when it came to alcohol consumption. </p>

<p>I just wanted to make my points that most kids are going to drink (or at least try it) at some point in their lives. As long as they are of legal age, those responsible for these aprties should ensure the safety of the participants and to prohibit driving under the influence and let the kids learn about the alcohol consumption on their own.</p>