Parents caring for the parent support thread (Part 1)

<p>Thanks for the definition, CF.</p>

<p>I’m worried about my father. He’s had vomiting & other intestinal issues for a week now, and has lost weight he can’t afford to lose. He’s finally going to see HIS doctor tomorrow instead of the one at the nursing home, whom he doesn’t like and feels doesn’t know him.</p>

<p>These symptoms could be many things but as they go on and on I feel it’s less likely to be a simple stomach bug and more likely to be something serious. </p>

<p>The sad thing is he can’t go on the Veterans trip to see the Memorial in D.C. It was supposed to be this weekend, now it’s rescheduled for April. He’s 91, can’t they reschedule it for next month? :/</p>

<p>Good luck mommusic. I’m sure if must be upsetting and frustrating I think it’s more prudent to schedule it our always, as things are pretty chaotic with the shutdown and will continue to be “off” agile furing any “startup,” when the stalemate ends and govt resumes. We will be in DC the 1st week of Nov and have no idea what things will be like there and then.</p>

<p>My dad will be 90 in 2014, but is in amazing shape and VERY sharp, tho I wish he’d stop day trading.</p>

<p>Mommusic, sorry to hear about your dad. Is he also having frequent, loose stools or abdmonial pain and cramping? I only ask because C-dif can spread quickly in nursing homes, day care settings, etc. Perhaps they can bring along a stool sample.</p>

<p>My dad is slipping away. On Wednesday he was taken from skilled nursing to ER unconscious and with O2 saturation in the 60s, and septic. He’s being treated for intestinal infection and that is improving a bit, but his kidneys aren’t functioning well and he has brain damage.</p>

<p>A palliative care nurse called me this afternoon, and it was comforting to know that they’re already plugging us into that. She said that in reviewing his records, she was struck not just by the number of hospitalizations – 6 or 7 in the last year, and 4 in the last 3 months – but by the fact that it was something different every time. She said that’s an end-of-life marker; his systems are shutting down.</p>

<p>Later I talked to the doctor and I asked, if they can manage to knock the infection out, what is the best case scenario? She said that physically, it would take “a very long time” for him to get back to where he was before this episode (which was poor indeed). Mentally, she said, he will probably never recover. And it would only be a matter of a very short time before something else would come up, some infection, some organ malfunction, which would finish him off. So he may die in the next few days, or it could be a few weeks, or a month or two. But we are now very near the end.</p>

<p>The doc and I decided to continue treatment for tonight, and we’ll talk again tomorrow. I have no illusions that he’s going to live much longer, but I’m trying to buy a little time. My brothers are far-flung and need time to get here. Also, if possible, I’d like him to die in skilled nursing rather than the hospital for this big reason: The SNF is next door to the AL where Mom lives, and she can look out her window and see it. She said that she wants to be able to look out and “see” him, and I want to give her that if we possibly can. </p>

<p>Some of you might remember the family drama over Dad’s bladder cancer several months back, and the brother who couldn’t/wouldn’t deal with it. That unpleasant episode turned out to be a blessing in disguise, because apparently it completely broke down the wall of denial. He has been absolutely prepared to deal with this crisis, and incredibly supportive of me. Ditto for the other brother and my precious SIL. I can’t imagine how hard this would be if we weren’t all pulling in the same direction. DH said that all my work the past 4 years at keeping the lines of communication wide open is paying off now, and I think he’s right. If I’ve done anything right, that was it.</p>

<p>The doctor did encourage us to do one thing tonight: sign a DNR. I would have signed it on the spot (I’m the DPOA), but I wanted to talk to Mom and both brothers first. Mom not only gave immediate approval, but asked if she could sign it too. Previously-in-denial brother also quickly gave the green light. “Gem” brother at first didn’t want to do it because he wanted to keep Dad alive long enough for him to get here and say good-bye. I read him the sheet that the hospital gave me about CPR for frail elderly (0-5% survival, fracture, further brain damage). As I was doing that, DH slipped me a note, which I read to Brother: “Your dad is already gone.” That one little sentence immediately changed his mind. So here it sits, that pink sheet with my mother’s shaky signature and mine below it, and my eyes fill with tears as I look at it. It’s concrete. Somehow it hits me more than anything else has so far: Dad is ready to go.</p>

<p>I also wanted to thank all of you, my vital support community. My old pastor used to use the phrase “coming alongside.” None of us can walk through this for another, but we can darn sure come alongside.</p>

<p>Blessings to you and your family LasMa.</p>

<p>LasMa <3. Hugs to you and yours.</p>

<p>Wishing you comfort and peace at this difficult time, LasMa. I’ll be thinking of you.</p>

<p>Hugs and prayers to you LasMa.</p>

<p>LasMa, I’ll be thinking of you and your family, wishing you strength and serenity.</p>

<p>Sending hugs and prayers for you. You certainly went through some trying times with family members and your husband is so right. Now, you can take a breath and share some peace with your family. May you draw comfort and solace from your family and friends.</p>

<p>Thinking of you at this difficult time, LasMa.</p>

<p>thank you lasma for sharing this with us. it means alot to me.</p>

<p>LasMa–wishing you peace and blessings at this difficult time.</p>

<p>My father still is having intestinal difficulty–he’s put himself on a soup and crackers diet because that seems to be all he can keep down. His doctor didn’t find anything so he’s going to see the GI man again on Tuesday (why the long wait?) Meanwhile he’s losing weight… </p>

<p>I need to consult with my brothers who are on the spot and see if they know anything more. </p>

<p>This forum is a great support group.</p>

<p>LasMa, I’m thinking of you in this difficult time. Hugs. And may I say how much I admire you for how you’ve handled this whole situation with grace and perseverance?</p>

<p>LasMa, so sorry and thank you for sharing. I hope you can get your dad back to the nursing home but even if it doesn’t work out that way, I think that’s ok–you did the very best you could do and I am sure your mom appreciates it. I am so impressed that she wanted to share the responsibility of the DNR with her children. It’s a gigantic responsibility for you to be the person on the spot, but at least you had a chance talk to everyone about it and everyone is on the same page. That consensus is wonderful for everyone.</p>

<p>We’re walking along with you, LasMa. May you and yours be free of pain and worry.</p>

<p>Wow LasMa. Reading your post brought me right back to my experiences with my mom and my dad. We are here walking along side you. We are your virtual family.</p>

<p>Thinking of you LasMa- you’ve been a great example to me in dealings with family members. Hugs and prayers for your family.</p>

<p>I apologize for this hit and run question, I’m on my phone so I can’t read all the posts until I’m on my computer.<br>
Does anyone have any experience/suggestions/advice on push button alert systems for seniors? I talked my mom into getting one and am comparing the services of some of the companies such as Lifeline.</p>

<p>Las Mas - sending warm thoughts your way. It’s good that you are able to have all that critical communication in place through this trying and poignant time. Best to you and your family.</p>