Parents caring for the parent support thread (Part 1)

<p>Yes, my SisIL took care of my FIL when he was aging and having + recovering from chemo. Neither of the two brothers nor I took on that task. She lived alone in a 3 bedroom townhouse but she & one of the bros had a dental practice together. Both of the brothers had their own families. Similarly, my sis and I help mom out much more than any of our brothers. My two friends who are caring for their elderly relatives are both daughters and granddaughters. Their bros take a minuscule to no role in the care. </p>

<p>One brother was given two houses (valued at a total of >$1M) by the mom and doesn’t give the small monthly amount the mom is supposed to get for spending money (about $1000) but was having mom give HIM money–he also rarely ever visits and it upsets his S who thinks his dad is behaving very poorly.</p>

<p>I agree with the situation @HImom - my Swiss grandmother/grandfather had a farm (maybe 10 acres, very valuable land right outside Lucerne - land is sold by square meter) that the oldest son inherited (making him clearly worth > $1 million). Grandma was to live there after grandpa died, and had a small bank account with enough money for her expenses. She had a little apt on the main level (farm house a landmark). Son and DIL were not making sure she was getting her medications; grandma could not see well, so making sure her clothes were clean etc. Daughter in Lucerne was so disgusted, grandma came to live with her and my dad and his brother in CA sent money for their sister to properly care for their mother. SIL on the farm was driving all of that, but they were then worried, because if grandma needed to go into a nursing home, the gov’t would make sure inheriting son paid. She went into a hospital and died a happy death in her sleep. Her heart must have really broken with that whole situation.</p>

<p>When we were in Switzerland when I was 12, this same aunt turned off the hot water when I was going to take a bath (I told my dad, and he went and turned the hot water back on) - that was the home he grew up at, and he made sure our visit was with ‘equal rights’.</p>

<p>There are a fair number of people think “what is mine is mine, and what is yours is ours/mine”.</p>

<p>Sad but true, SOS.</p>

<p>It is so very sad. The estate attorneys who helped us after my SisIL died were so happy that there was absolutely NO bickering among anyone and both brothers wanted to be fair, especially to one another. They said it was wonderful not to have strife or any fighting, and made life much easier for everyone.</p>

<p>I can’t understand folks who are given such generous gifts and then treat their benefactors so poorly, especially when it is their own parent! Really makes you wonder what they are thinking and what lessons they are teaching any of their own loved ones about how you treat elders and frail folks dependent upon you.</p>

<p>The Harry Chapin song “Cat’s in the Cradle” comes to mind…</p>

<p>I fear trouble looming and need positive feedback. Thanks for listening. Remember back…I took my mother to Maplewood in Danbury just this Monday and it was marvelous.I had printed from the internet lists and lists of questions to ask the administration about every aspect of service and felt very assured. Danbury hospital is 3 minutes away; they will drive my mother to her MDs in Brewster, a good 25 minutes away. Without putting pressure on us, the administrator said that an opening was rare and that a studio (cheapest tier cost) was opening in Sept and that if we wanted to hold it, we could leave a check or credit card number. Check would not be cashed; card would not be credit. Simple refund if we change our minds anytime during September. The administrator said it could be a matter of days in which it would be free. I (and it seemed mom) was so pleased that we went home and called in her credit card number to reserve the room. Tomorrow we tour a closer facility in Carmel, and on Monday, a well-regarded facility in Danbury. But if her first choice is Maplewood, she may move as early as next month.</p>

<p>Here is why I feel trouble is looming. I had to go over to the house this evening to help the caregiver fill out a government form and deal with a banking dilemma. My mother couldn’t accept/didn’t understand that I might have a matter to discuss with the caregiver, in other words, something that didn’t concern her. She was querulous and resentful of my attention to the caregiver. Clearly her illness and age is affecting her thinking; she was confused.</p>

<p>But then the bombshell. She told me to sit down and said, I could never live in a place like that. What would I do? I would have nothing. There is nothing for me there. Well, you can imagine how it went on and on.AND ON. AND she was very powerful in her new negative view of AL. I thought of all my cheerleaders here on CC and said, Mom, you have no choice. At home caregiver costs double in January, and regardless, as the elder care lawyer said, being alone with someone one on one is not best for you. You need activities, friendly surroundings, and a group atmosphere. An at home caregiver is no longer an option. We are visiting three facilities and you are going to one of them. </p>

<p>So what do I do if this refusal quest continues? Just be determined and insist it is the way thing are going? Come September and we choose Maplewood, call a mover and load in what she needs for her room and take her there?</p>

<p>Unfortunately I have to get her out the door at 9 am tomorrow, and then leave for The Plaza at Clover Hills with her at 10:15. In my judgment, she is very weak. After Maplewood, she insisted I take her to a department store to buy a bra and undershirts. Why was I so stupid to agree when it was clearly too much for her. She determinedly pushed that rollator to the lingerie dept (at the AL, by the way, she asks for a wheel chair). and with pain on her face went through the staggering amount of merchandise, went through the whole dressing room thing, had to have a great long distance walk to the rest room, and somehow made it back to the car. Tonight, LIKE ALWAYS she wants to return the items she bought. She is CONSTANTLY buying from catalogues and making me seal up and return whatever it was she purchased. The caregiver told me she spent the next day, Tues, in bed all day/ Of course, she was exhausted and it was my mistake to take her shopping. An example in a capsule of my mother’s power over me. Today, Thursday was a “big day” because the Polish caregiver made a special Polish lunch for my three girls and mother. My girls were so agreeable to go. The eldest told me that my mother fell asleep twice at the table. When we drive in the car, she falls right to sleep. She is in a very hard to define category of “unwell.” Have to start another post because this one is so long.</p>

<p>She wont change. You have to.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Dharmawheel, I hate to tell you this, but she is playing you like a violin.</p>

<p>@dharmawheel you can usually predict what your mother will do. Do not keep allowing situations for you to be ‘agreeable’ and then get burned again. Prepare yourself to say ‘no’ to keep on track.</p>

<p>You have to follow through with AL.</p>

<p>It won’t all be pleasant.</p>

<p>Give mom attn when she is agreeable. Distance yourself when she is not.</p>

<p>Use the tools, resources, to your advantage.</p>

<p>Great stress with the payroll agency we are PAYING to do things correctly and promptly. I called in 14 days of work for caregiver, and they made the most basic stupid mistake of making the check out for 7 days. Stress all around, phone calls, and four business days later a check arrives for t he right amount. Caregiver endorses the check, sends the check to her friend in Brooklyn to deposit. But she didn’t NOTICE on the FRONT of the check my mother had to SIGN it. Barbara is sending a stand-in for two days this weekend. But she still has to retrieve the check from Citibank, return it to my town for my mother’s signature, and mail it (I guess) to Brooklyn for her friend to deposit. To get my mother to withdraw funds from Chase on her Credit Card to pay the “stand in” caregiver and loan money to the caregiver,over the phone they told me my mother herself has to appear at the bank with her credit card and photo ID. To her great credit,and I applaud her truly, my mother agreed to be ready at 9 am tomorrow to go to the bank. And I must give her great credit because she was scheduled to have a visiting nurse visit tomorrow morning, and allowed me to call and cancel this appointment with the intent of rescheduling tomorrow. She is, it seems, on the verge of collapse, but she has agreed to visit two AL places (one tomorrowl, Friday one Monday) and her shrink on Thurs. Plus the visiting nurse.</p>

<p>Curiously, over the past two weeks, she has seen her PCP, her cardiologist, and her gastroendocrinologist (sp???) and none of them has called me to comment to the effect that my mother is borderline NH material/very sick/in grave need/ etcl This concerns me. I called her PCP last the afternoon she saw him in the morning and he never called me back.</p>

<p>For myself, I have an an annoying habit of clearing my throat every 5 seconds which I thought was a nervous habit because I am an anxious person. This summer it got worse–constant dripping and clearing my throat and nose blowing–so I saw my PCP physician yesterday . After her nurse took my blood pressure, etc, she left me alone and i started to cry and cry and cry. The MD came in, very concerned to see me like that. I immediately said, everything is under control, there is no crisis, the kids are fine, but when I see a sympathetic person I crumble and cry. And I explained about my mother. She said her mother is 89 years old old and and is great burden. The MDs sister lives 12 blocks away from the mother and doesn’t work and, the MD said the sister “knows everything about medicine.” and does very little to help their mother. And my MD has an MD and a Ph.D. She took what I would call an ANTI-Freudian view about "figuring it out " and said do not let your mother impinge on your self-image/character/ego etc, but do the best you can.Do not try to “figure people out.” As for the throat clearing, I have simple sinusitis and now have a nasal spray.</p>

<p>If you have been with me so far, thank you. In closing, I must tell the most remarkable news, which I buried in a previous post. My sister emailed me on Sunday, a brief, nonchalant note. In a few words, I told her I recognized her responsibilities and burdens but I was very hurt by her silence. It was a LONG silence. She wrote back most apologetically and our relationship is restored. Will she phone our mother? I don’t know. </p>

<p>To summarize do I insist with repetition and no “negotiation” that my mother is going to an AL even if I have to force her and hire a mover to take her bed and bedroom belongings (plus a love seat from the living room)? It IS the only solution, do I reiterate patiently over and over that it is the ONLY solution?</p>

<p>Thanks for the replies. You wrote while I was composing my second long email. Do do you agree/advice that I show my mother that AL is the ONLY option? I may need help in how to compel her to accept that this is the only option. (Thank you friends.).</p>

<p>Tonight an elder law attorney (one of only 4 in our state) spoke at our cancer support meeting. I had heard about this firm, so was glad to hear her speak, and she provided a lot of info.</p>

<p>First, there is a National Elder Law Foundation, which can point you to certified elder law attorneys.</p>

<p>She said the elder law exam is two day (similar to bar exam…). An attorney has to practice 5 years in elder law before being able to sit for exam; every 4 year attorneys need to re-certify, and have to have at least 80 elder law cases/year and taking continuing ed hours. </p>

<p>She gave us a 9 page handout and stepped through the highlights.</p>

<p>I was pleased to hear expenses don’t have to be great with setting things up. Probate is not a bad process in my state (AL); in some states there are statutory fees for attorneys (like CA and FL).</p>

<p>Something discussed on this thread was that durable power of attorney has to be current (within 5 years) for many to honor (like financial institutions). The law in AL does not require any person or institution to accept POA. Some states do not have POA as durable, so keeping the durable language in place.</p>

<p>She has clients come in at least every 5 years. Necessary to review documents with major life changes and major financial changes (and of course with major medical issues looming).</p>

<p>Dharma,
You KNOW the answers, it is just tough to actually implement. You KNOW your mom has to go to AL and she told the attorney she WANTED it. Regardless, that IS the option. Be strong and selectively deaf. Do NOT reinforce her tendency to “play you.” You have to be the strong one and just say, “Yes,” and be encouraging when she is behaving and say, “No,” and ignore her when she is misbehaving or making her many unreasonable requests.</p>

<p>It’s easier said than done, but get the support you need and stay strong. See your therapist as needed to help you thru this tough time.</p>

<p>Dharmawheel, it’s very hard but if she says no, I’ll never go, you say, “Sorry mom, but there’s no choice. Call me when you want to talk about it.” and WALK AWAY.</p>

<p>* I could never live in a place like that…I would have nothing…it went on and on.AND ON. AND she was very powerful in her new negative view of AL. I…said, Mom, you have no choice.*</p>

<p>Apologies, but I wouldn’t have fought fire with fire. I would have said, “Mom, it’s going to be fine.” Just as I would when a little kid got the heebie-jeebies. And I would have excused myself from the conversation.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>You say, “Mom, I cannot continue to do all the work that is involved in keeping you at home. I will keep doing it until the end of September. After that, you will either be in AL, or you will need to find someone else to be your personal assistant.”</p>

<p>And you mean it.</p>

<p>Good answer, LasMa!</p>

<p>That is excellent and well-stated. </p>

<p>Of course it’s hard to think of a great answer like that on the spot. But Dharmawheel, you can strategize in advance. Think of how your mother may rope you into taking her to do more stuff than she can handle, and it will be easier to react right away and say no, I have to get home, we can do that next time. And for sure you can think of possible responses to her refusal to consider assisted-living. Be prepared to walk away.</p>

<p>I’d just note that not all states certify attorneys in particular fields of practice. </p>