Parents caring for the parent support thread (Part 1)

<p>Today I feel blessed with wonderful parents. We remove them from their 4 bedroom home in the tropics with a boat in their backyard, into a landlocked 2 bedroom condo at a senior community near me much further north, and neither have complained a bit. They love the food, are having regular dinner dates with other residents, mom now has a space and a cubby in the art room, and have nothing but nice things to say about the staff.</p>

<p>So wish there was a “like” button for a post. Happy for you GT and for your parents.</p>

<p>Thank you for the good news, GT. :)</p>

<p>How fabulous GT. All the best to you and your parents.</p>

<p>It’s so nice to hear when things go smoothly for anyone in this precarious situation. Very happy your parents are taking the change in stride.</p>

<p>Yippee! There are definite benefits to moving where meals are prepared and its easy to arrange dinner dates. Mom and dad have many friends in nearby SR living place. Dad loves puttering in the yard, but they’ve managed to fill each closet to overflowing in all 4 bedrooms with clothing, most of which they NEVER wear!</p>

<p>My sis says she’d love living where someone else cooks; we will see whether she ever makes a move, tho I strongly doubt she will.</p>

<p>GT that sounds great! What age range are they? I am curious if this makes a difference.</p>

<p>rmh- My parents are 77 and 78. My father has early stage Alzheimer’s. My mother’s memory is no better but it doesn’t seem to be as progressive as my dad’s. Neither has any physical disabilities. </p>

<p>We searched for a couple of years and visited many continuing care retirement communities. It was important for them to live independently, but have the option to have more care if needed. This particular place is “upscale” and one of the nicer places we visited. They get one meal a day served restaurant style. Instead of moving to assisted living, they arrange in home care. The gentleman above my parents just died and was receiving all his nursing care in his condo. They do have a nursing home that the residents can use for rehab care. </p>

<p>Instead of a fee to get in, like most cc retirement communities, they bought the condo.</p>

<p>GT - very happy for you and your parents!</p>

<p>GT- what peace of mind for all. Additionally, they sound up for some fun. I will sing the praises of multi-level of care options senior living community forever! It makes all the difference, especially when a couple may have different needs at different times, yet want to be together as much as possible.</p>

<p>Hooray for GT parents! </p>

<p>My mom’s long term broker tried to get her to buy an annuity product with a 3.78% annual fee. I know SOME annuities MAY be worth the fees, but this one was not! (I am a CFA with a fancy Ivy MBA in Finance and 30 years of industry experience). Fortunately, mom trusts me and runs all her $ decisions by me. Mom agreed to say “no” to this product now, but I wonder if she will ever reach the phase down the road where she is more vulnerable to products like this. The guy (who to date has seemed reasonable) used phrases like “peace of mind,” “guaranteed income,” and “crash” to make her amenable to the annuity. Going forward, we decided to have a call with her, the broker, and me any time decisions are made. Nothing bad has happened yet, but I want ot prevent any future missteps.</p>

<p>Momof2- that is the kind of thing that is so unpredictable when you(the kid) don’t have full control. My mom signed up for some crazy life insurance with a stranger who knocked on her door. He “was nice- and loves his kids- he showed pictures of them.” Erg. I do sales/ support for a life/annuity agent and have talked to her about this kind of thing over and over. She also signed up for 11 magazines because the person on the phone wouldn’t leave her alone. As much as its been an adjustment having her move in here, at least I’m not worried about the people who prey on the elderly. So far ( and I realize this could change) she won’t answer the door or phone at my house. And I filter that sweepstakes mail like there’s no tomorrow!</p>

<p>So Mom and Dad have accepted an offer on the family home. I’m trying not to cry. The offer is good, they have made lots on this property and it’s time to sell. But… They have NO IDEA where they will move and there’s a lot of stuff in the house and so on and so on…thank God they are both mostly capable and mobile.
Sorry, am I allowed a little pity party about a family place that I wish we could afford to buy from them but can’t? I’m happy that they will cash in on a big appreciation. Wish I had a spare $750 to keep it .
Things are going to get stressful…(yes, I know that these problems are nothing compared to so many on this thread…)</p>

<p>dragonmom–it is sad when the family home goes up for sale. Not the same as losing the parents but still it’s a big change.</p>

<p>H’s parents sold their summer place on the ocean when they could no longer get there on weekends and couldn’t even take care of their first home properly. Man, we wished we had the money to buy it and keep it in the family! But it funded their long-term care and medical needs. </p>

<p>We went to the area last summer just to see the old place…</p>

<p>Mommusic,thanks for understanding. Thirty years of sunset views…we always hoped to buy them out but prices will cover thier needs. My sensible side is happy. My sensitive side is mourning. My normal side is really worried about them filtering through 35 years of stuff in 4 months.</p>

<p>Dragon mom- even with the other issues on this thread I imagine most can relate to that pang of sadness at the family home leaving the family. My dad built our family home and I assisted him putting up all the drywall, taping, painting, putting on gutters, landscaping, and on and on. We need to clean it out and sell it soon and my sibs and I all feel sick about not being able to keep it in the family. If you spent your formative years there it has so much more significance than just a “house”. I am really sorry for all you are feeling.</p>

<p>This house wasnt my childhood home but the " home" every vacation since my kids were born.
God help us with the cleaning out .</p>

<p>Psychmomma, thanks for your understanding</p>

<p>dragonmom- It was sad when my parent’s sold their house. It is even more sad when I can’t go back to their beautiful home on the water. They sold for a nice profit, but much less than 6 years ago. They only had 6 weeks to move. I should have been there more to help as though they are physically healthy and very mobile, I misunderstood how difficult it was cognitively to sort stuff. Though, now the chaos is over, I am so happy to have them close and know they have their needs met.</p>

<p>Best of luck cleaning out the house. It has been suggested on this site to call in professionals to plan an estate sale after you go through all of the belongings. The proceeds will be a godsend and ensure their future care. I’m sorry about the sentimental loss. Hope they have a good accountant to advise them about the windfall and safeguard it for the future.</p>