Parents caring for the parent support thread (Part 2)

My mother tested positive yesterday. It is overrunning her facility. Unfortunately I drove her to the doctor for skin cancer treatment the day before the test, and since she has dementia, she did not wear a mask. She is feeling fine so far. I am scared! I have more conditions that she does and should never have taken that risk. But she tested negative 10 days ago and has been in her room ever since.

Oh no! I hope your mom will be OK and just have a very mild case. Please keep us posted.

She is feeling fine and calls many times telling me she doesn’t have it because there is nothing wrong with her and that they are all crazy.

Of course, I am starting to not feel well, but thinking it could be just anxiety.

Stay well Compmom!

Sending my best, @compmom. Navigating Covid as a family caregiver is a constant, ambiguous juggling act. So distressing. Around here, I am aware of elder care places who got through until November with no cases, but currently have increasing numbers. Sorry for what you both are going through now.

I have not been able to visit her. The private nurse sent me a photo of a lesio that I sent to the skin doc, and we thought she needed urgent attention. Turned out she didn’t so the trip wasn’t really necessary.

She tested negative on 12/21 and has been in her room since. Positive test was 12/31. Doc visit was 12/30. I have alerted the office and feel badly.

I borrowed a van to take her because my car is so small. She sat in the third row at the back, and would not wear a mask or shield, and yelled and moaned loudly the whole 10 minute drive. As a result I had all 6 windows open which made her yell more (understandably). .

She had trouble getting out of the van and the front desk person helped her so I made sure she knows.

I actually hugged my mother, safely I hoped at the time, as she went inside her facility because she had been so distressed.

This is a classic case of me taking care of my mother and taking risks to do so. I knew there were a lot of cases already but had not heard the full report on that day.

Please everyone, take care of yourselves too. I have kids who need me and am mad at myself for taking this risk.

2 Likes

Compmom,
May I suggest you take some supplements that may be helpful in boosting your immune system- zinc lozenges (or tabs), turmeric, vit C, vit D, and melatonin. Assuming your own health permits these. Also gargle with alcohol containing mouthwash.

Thanks @calgal Already taking all of the above, along with famotidine and ordered quercetin. Also have aspirin on hand. I have several medical conditions and am in touch with my doctor just in case.

My mother continues to say how silly this is, she feels fine.

ps boosting my immune system is tricky with lupus- can backfire!

Don’t discount the possibility of a false positive test. My 98 yo mother tested positive a few months ago and I just knew that it couldn’t be possible. She had absolutely no symptoms at all. She only has one good lung after a bout of TB in her teens and she’s very frail so there’s no way she could have had the virus without showing some effects. I had her retested 2 days later and she was negative.

Sorry you’re having to go through this worry :anguished: and hoping it turns out to be a false alarm.

Thanks! There are so many cases among residents and staff that the positive makes sense. Surprisingly, many of the 90+ folks are asymptomatic. Fifteen staff are out. There must be more than 20 residents who are positive.

I have been alone since March. I am soooo careful. Holidays alone. I was afraid there was a very small chance she could have it (she has been in her room) but I didn’t want to call Uber or a taxi and risk them. There was no other way to get her to the doc.

She is feeling fine or I would be worried about her. She has serious congestive heart failure, kidney failure but she is also a tank. So right now I am worried about me.

My mother started feeling very unwell yesterday. Hoping it passes

Hoping for the best Compman.

I haven’t been on this thread for a long while. During the beginning of Covid, when GKids’ daycare was closed (they are now 1 and 2) I was M-F Nanny for GKids and would come home on weekends, 100 mile drive one way. This occurred from Mid March until June 1. DH’s parents are in WI - FIL 91 in skilled care/nursing home (he likes it there, and likes to be waited on) while MIL 91 at home with a caretaker coming in.

I work in skilled care/rehab in N AL doing admission nursing assessments on PRN schedule (when I am available and when there are admissions). Have to work 1 day in 30 days to keep employment active. Since admissions slowed way down during first wave of Covid (while daycare was closed), it all worked out for nannying the grandchildren. During ‘first wave’ of Covid we in N AL did fine. 91 YO FIL is in skilled care/nursing home in WI - in a rural area and they also did fine during first wave of Covid. However in their area, the fall wave of Covid was terrible - especially around the end of Oct on, and the facility was also careful and just had ‘window visits’ from day 1 of Covid as did most, following CDC and state health dept guidelines. FIL is in very nice facility and he likes being waited on. For Halloween, they had a very cheerfully dressed scarecrow go through the rooms to residents with resident happy faces - and it was distance/carefully handled. At the middle of Dec, FIL finally had Covid. He first had decrease in appetite, upset stomach. After 5 days or so we thought he would do better, but then he needed to go to the hospital Dec 14. My DH traveled early Dec 15 from states away and got to his hospital bedside while FIL was still responsive - and he received Zoom confession and then bedside last rites while still responsive. Once ‘in the room’ DH had to stay so DH stayed 2 days until they transferred FIL back to skilled care/nursing home (it was a hospice room, so DH had a couch and recliner to sleep in and they let him order food). The ambulance ride transfer is either going to arouse someone in FIL’s condition, or just about finish them off - it seemed to liven him up a little. DH was actually safer in the hospital room situation with the air ventilation and very strong safety measures. DH, our niece, and MIL all eventually got Covid - from the visiting in the nursing home (while FIL was unresponsive or in a coma). FIL’s wishes were honored - he didn’t want IVs and he then stopped drinking even a few sips of water - he would purse his lips closed. They could tell he could still hear, and they would squeeze his hand. He had a family member at his bedside 24/7 for the week and he died at age 92 on Dec 21.

I was one of the last nurses to test positive for Covid - from Dec 17th test. DH came back with Covid - we did not give it to each other. My work building had build up/peak Covid during Dec - mainly because community rates were high and we were following CDC and state health guidelines with twice a week resident and staff testing.

Hopefully all the other family members will have no long term health consequences from Covid. .I have submitted my consent for 2 step Covid vaccine, through work, and it sounds like the first shot will be mid-Jan.

1 Like

@SOSConcern I PM’ed you.

How is everyone doing? We are still waiting for CVS to tell us when the vaccine will be given at my parents personal care home. It was a case of “hurry up and wait” - in December we were given forms to read and sign and told vaccines were imminent and now CVS is not getting back to all the facilities around here. Very frustrating.

I have a zoom call scheduled for tomorrow to see my dad and then another one on Thursday to see my mom. I have low expectations since it is harder and harder for them to carry on conversations that are not in person. It is so sad to think of all the time I have missed with them . . .the staff have been doing an amazing job.

Still managing to keep the virus out of the community. One exposure led to 1 resident getting sick but now, 14 days later, no other cases.

My dad has organized a (virtual) forensics engineering conference through UT-Austin to be held next month. A two-day symposium with lots of speakers. I am shocked he was up to the task! My sister said he doesn’t have much stamina but wow. We were planning his funeral a year ago.

3 Likes

That’s exactly what’s happening with my mother’s facility. I thought she would have gotten her vaccine 2 weeks ago but so far no word from CVS. I’m getting my own vaccine on Friday. I never thought I’d get it before my 99 year old mother. Heck, I could have gotten her an appointment when I made mine if I knew she’d still be waiting :frowning_face:. Too late now, all the slots are taken.

1 Like

My 90 year old mother got her vaccine (Pfizer) last week. She lives in the independent living section of a continuing care community in northern NJ. CVS came in and administered the vaccines. Mom said it was very well organized. No side effects.

1 Like

Our building is getting the first vaccine Jan 21. Nurses in the 12 Covid high areas also have places/schedules with county medical at the 12 counties. The area hospitals have it for their staff and patients.

We all seem ‘so close’ to getting to vaccines; hope those that have not had Covid yet can get vaccinated before they contract Covid.

My mother’s assisted living has vaccines coming 1/25, 2/15 and 3/8. In Massachusetts. Obviously a little late for my mother, who so far is surviving COVID without any breathing issues. Those residents who have had COVID will still get vaccines, as long as they are feeling well.