Parents caring for the parent support thread (Part 2)

I am not surprised by this story at all @MaineLonghorn . I have been writing about my frustrations with assisted living for some time. My mother was actively choking when I pushed the emergency button AND called the front desk. Noone came for 20 minutes. Luckily I got a random aide from the hallway who have never done a Heimlich but managed to do one and the food popped out.

My mother was vomiting continuously last week for two hours and luckily I was there to be with her. And noone ever gets her dressed.

I am sympathetic to the aides who are scheduled and overburdened,. The facility only has one nurse on for 68 people. One nurse quit because she felt it was so understaffed that she could not do the job properly and did not want to lose her license. And this is one of the most elegant and reputable ALā€™s.

I do tell my mother to call me on the cell phone, which she can mostly still remember how to use.

Surely there is another contact while this director is gone!

@busdriver11, Iā€™m sorry to hear the news about your dad. I hope your mom continues to take steps towards finding her way forward.

My FIL passed away a couple of weeks ago. He had a UTI and was admitted to the hospital for ten days Infection resolved, but heā€™d been in bed the entire time. They sent him to rehab t regain muscle strength. Of course, he caught Covid there. It did a number on his lungs, and my BIL said the rehab doc said we should consider hospice. FIL had signed a DNR, but kept telling us he wanted to live. We asked him what that meant to him, and he said he wanted to be home with his cats, recliner and TV. So, thatā€™s what we did ā€“ had home hospice at his apartment with meds to ease his breathing, and he passed away two days later. He knew he was home and was able to pet his cats and interact with BIL and the aide. It was as peaceful as we could have possibly hoped.

BIL and the aide kept my FIL in a safe bubble for over two years, and it went to pieces in the blink of an eye. The aide has been taking care of my FIL for the past three years (two hours twice a day), and she was very attached to him. We are truly thankful for her care.

Iā€™ve been up in NJ the past three weekends dealing with getting the apartment cleaned out. I have enough detachment to know what to toss and what to keep, and I also found stuff of genealogical interest in the process.

8 Likes

Iā€™m so sorry for your loss. What a blessing that your FIL was able to go home as he wished.

3 Likes

Such a great gift you gave him at the end - an ending that he helped write. :heart:

6 Likes

Terribly sorry about your FILā€™s passing, that is awful to catch Covid at the place where theyā€™re treating you. Iā€™m glad he was able to die where he wanted, with his pets and family. :cry:

2 Likes

When I read about the shortcomings at these facilities, I am thankful for the quality of care my father receives at his assisted living place. He does pay top dollar and still has plenty of complaints with the service he receives. I think if something basic like dressing the patient every day and answering the emergency call button is not being done, you need to look for a different facility.

2 Likes

Sadly finding another place and moving elders is very difficulty but that response time is abysmal and scary!

1 Like

Overworked nurses and aides is no surprise - that has been happening pre-Covid. For profit or not-for-profit ā€“ they squeeze on nursing staff. Middle management gets squeezed, even Director of Nursing (DON). I worked 5 years for skilled care and rehab facility that has a great reputation ā€“ yet they also overwork the nursing staff. I was going to retire early, but outgoing DON (she was losing weight from the stress and had to get into a better job for her QOL) offered me a job where my duties were limited and it worked great for me and the facility. Important to retain RNs/BSNs. Glad I did stay on as it saved us on COBRA costs for 10 months when DH retired earlier than the plan, so I could carry the health insurance at the same rate that DHā€™s company was charging for pretty much the same health care coverage.

1 Like

Sorry for the situation and the loss of your FIL. Even if he had gone home with PT coming in - PT could bring in Covid.

Glad he got his wish to go back to his apartment.

Long time aides are GEMS. MIL had a super lady.

You are doing a great service to your Hā€™s family with your work on getting the apartment cleaned out.

1 Like

Assisted livings tend to have LPNā€™s for much of the day/night. The regulations restrict what RNā€™s can do so no point in spending more for an RN.

The staff have my sympathy. But people need to understand that residents are tenants. This alone limits services.

2 Likes

"FIL had signed a DNR, but kept telling us he wanted to live. We asked him what that meant to him, "

You did him a great service. People deserve to be able to live and die on their own terms. My dad had a DNR also. To him that really meant ā€œno extraordinary measuresā€ not ā€œdonā€™t take care of me if I donā€™t feel well today. and quit trying to make me better.ā€

Itā€™s very hard. I think most people have very simple wishes like your FIL. They arenā€™t always easy to fulfil though. You done good.

9 Likes

@CountingDown - Condolences on the loss of your FiL. I am struck that the ā€˜what would that mean to you?ā€™ question was asked and yielded a plan. It offered him dignity/agency and the family peace of mind. May his memory be a blessing.

3 Likes

My dad was ambulanceā€™d to the local ER last night, and we congratulated Mom for knowing to call. But today, we had to call maybe 5 different departments and offices because they had transferred him to a satellite clinic one hour away without telling my mother, who was waiting patiently at home to get a call. Too patiently. I will admit that the doctorā€™s office called a bit ago and apologized for the ā€œoversightā€

Yikes! Iā€™m glad you finally found him! I hope heā€™s doing OK.

There are RNs/BSNs that often do what by licensure can be done by a LPN. Sometimes the quality of the individual is the difference, as well as lower turnover and other factors that can affect quality of care ā€“ RNs/BSNs have more work options than LPNs do, and I have been exposed to a fairly broad number of LPNs in skilled care/rehab (and as a LPN educator) - many LPNs who job hop, try to work at several places/lots of hours and little sleep, have other draining lifestyle issues, etc.

Some facilities get higher ratings with more RNs/BSNs on staff. The one I worked at did - that is why the DON was getting creative in keeping me on staff.

So comment about ā€œno point in spending more for a RNā€ may absolutely not apply. Certainly you know all the restrictions with Assisted Living situation on what is allowed by nursing staff - and I have previously worked at an Assisted Living as well.

There are minimum staffing regulations in each state with various facilities.

Sorry that was not my point of view, maybe a tad cynical about a facilityā€™s point of view.

We have one really excellent charge nurse at my motherā€™s AL and the DON is excellent

@travelnut, my BIL asked the question. Bless him! FIL just didnā€™t understand how he could no longer have Covid but be so sick. (Rehab didnā€™t test beyond five days from first positive, and assumed people were no longer contagious.) Neither BIL nor H wanted to tell him that he was dying. I told FIL that Covid had done a number on his lungs, but he didnā€™t get the implication. Going back to the hospital would have meant a horrible, painful, confusing experience, assuming he ever got a bed on a covid ward.

@SOSConcern FIL had PT coming to the apartment periodically during Covid. His doc made house calls. Was vaxed at home by the nursing agency. The rehab facility had 17 positive cases when FIL was exposed. When youā€™re 87, it doesnā€™t take much.

3 Likes

Spent the past several days herding parents through his hospital stay 2 hrs from the house. Exploratory procedures planned for next week if they can stabilize his lung function to find the internal bleeding without triggering another TIA.

Interesting part has been living with my mom24/7 (siblings unavailable so I came here from my home 200 miles away) and am astonished at how noncompliant she is about just about everything, but especially food. Not taking her meds correctly, says she doesnā€™t like the side effects. Not doing countermeasures recā€™d because ā€œoh, but I donā€™t need to todayā€. Dehydrated and malnourished because she doesnā€™t want to drink more, she drinks ā€œenough, go away and leave me aloneā€ or eat anything ā€œI am fine stop fussing/I donā€™t have time/itā€™s a waste of moneyā€

she seems to understand they are both not eating enough, most especially him, but she insists itā€™s all fine . As a hospital patient heā€™s eating like a horse because there is plenty of food provided. here at home, they are eating a bowl of cereal, a lunch meat sandwich, and maybe a pork chop or chicken tender for dinner. He will eat some cookies later. thatā€™s it. Heā€™s 6ā€™1" and weighs 150 lbs. I asked if she thinks thatā€™s enough and she says ā€œoh yes, we donā€™t need moreā€ or ā€œno, but itā€™s fineā€ or ā€œI know what I am doing and stop telling me I am wrongā€.

Theyā€™ve been anxious about his lack of muscle strength , but he eats nowhere near enough protein to regain any. Iā€™m wondering how to get some authority figure involved, but even then, sheā€™s just being so stubborn about everything I canā€™t see her changing (sheā€™s very fond of mentioning that she is too old to change). Explaining things just makes her defensive. Sorry this is so long, itā€™s been a day. or three. Or six.

3 Likes

@greenbutton ā€” itā€™s so hard to try to get our elders to do the healthy things we want them to do for themselves. My mom needs some gentle coaxing but likes to please so she tries to cooperate. She tends to eat most of whatever is served and if we are all making a point of finishing our water or other beverage, she tries to as well.

I believe before she and dad went into the CCRC which had food for BLD, they were sometimes forgetting to eat meals and drink enough which of course caused dehydration and dizziness and other bad symptoms.

Is there a Meals on Wheels type program on their area?

1 Like