Parents caring for the parent support thread (Part 2)

So sorry @surfcity. And you know we understand the slow deterioration, and your prolonged grief over loss of contact.

My mother is recovering from COVID but it accelerated her dementia, and she is even more depressed.

You have been such a help to all of us. Thoughts are with you.

1 Like

Really sorry @surfcity. :pensive:

So sorry @surfcity!

@surfcity, may her memory be a blessing. Iā€™ve followed your story since your dadā€™s accident and I only hope for you that he is not in pain. These years are so hard to navigate and you have been a steadfast advocate for them, no matter how difficult things have been. Take care of yourself.

1 Like

@surfcity I am so, so , sorry. May you have some peace knowing how faithfully youā€™ve walked this road.

1 Like

So sorry for the loss of your mom. You support, love and care for your parents in this time should be an inspiration to all.

1 Like

Sorry for your loss, @surfcity. Wishing you comfort as you remember your mother and continue to tend your father. They both have been fortunate to have your thoughtful support.

1 Like

@surfcity So so sorry. Extra hugs to all.

So, so sorry, @surfcity. Such a hard path to follow, especially now. Wishing for comfort and peace for your dad, and of course for you and your family.

Iā€™m really sorry, @surfcity.

Oh, @surfcity, I am so sorry. You have been a true blessing to your parents. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I am so sorry for your loss @surfcity . You have been a wonderful caregiver.

@surfcity, many hugs. So sorry for the loss. Grief spread over years is terrible. Sending condolences and energy for helping your dad.

The good news is that my father is well enough to go home, although he will need oxygen at his assisted living. The bad news is that he needs to have a negative covid test first (fingers crossed that he has one today) and that once back in his assisted living he has to do a 14 day quarantine (so no companion aide again for 14 days). Despite having had both shots, having had covid last spring, and having had numerous negative covid tests (this is one hospital stay where he didnā€™t test positive upon admission).

@surfcity wishing you peace and wonderful memoriesā€¦

@kiddie best wishes as your dad goes through the hurdles to to home to AL.

Group home type facilities just have to be careful. Have to follow state and CDC guidelines.

Good news, my father is going back to his Assisted Living today and they are going to allow his companion aide (no 14 day quarantine). One funny thing, the hospital did a COVID antibody test and the nurse said boy does he have antibodies (his number was so high). I guess having had Covid, testing positive for it another 3-4 times over the following 8 months, and getting two shots, builds your immunity!

10 Likes

That makes me so happy! And I thought that was why assisted living facilities were at the top of the list, so that our elders could try and have a better quality of life.

Need help getting uncle to stop smoking and also driving (where he get cigarettes), dementia involved. Macular degeneration do reAlly should not be driving suggestions ?

Early on I had a driving school give my mother ā€œa lessonā€ to evaluate her. They wrote a note to the MD, which accomplished nothing.

So then I convinced my mother that the only way to prove to people that she could still drive, was to go to a rehab for a driving evaluation, which involved cognitive tests and a road test. She failed miserably.

They took her license on the spot and had an ID sent to her. She was angry and threatened a law suit etc. etc. but forgot about it. I removed the car because it would trigger the memory.

One of my family members was hit by a car. Please do something however hard it may be!

1 Like