Parents going to SOAR?

<p>Hi,</p>

<p>My daughter has signed up for the SOAR already. She has also taken her placement tests (in English, Math, and Spanish I think).</p>

<p>What I am wondering is what kind of "parent info" they go over at SOAR, do the parents and kids stay together any of this time (picking classes in particular), and is it necessary that the parents and kids go on the same dates (we are close by)? Also, is this something that both parents should attend, our is it easily "relayable"?</p>

<p>Thanks,</p>

<p>DJD</p>

<p>UW alumnus, grew up in area and went 3 years ago- worth it! You could just download the info book but the presentations were worthwhile- asking questions and revisiting the campus, it will save you from asking or wondering about a lot of things for your child. The parents and kids were separated for all but the dinner and seeing the clubs et al booths at the same time. They had separate social events in the evening after the dinner and dorm rooms were seen separately- no embarrassing questions from parents in front of peers. Students are definitely treated as adults- no parental involvement in advising and registration! I would rather go and “see for myself” than depend on the teenage filter of what happens and is important- the parents were told several things with the knowledge that kids won’t remember the details parents can use- finances, how things currently work, etc. It was nice to eyeball the dorm room as it now looks- helps in shopping for/with (I have a son- he doesn’t shop) your child. The speakers emphasized things from the parent perspective, something your child won’t get.</p>

<p>We went a couple of years ago. We dropped off our son, and didn’t see him until we picked him up the next day. They have some programs for adults. I’m not much of a fan of programs for parents, but many like them. HOWEVER, the key to all of this is, why pass up a couple of days in Madison in the summer!!! Bring some books, get a table on the Union terrace, some beer, and just relax.</p>

<p>I’m not usually fond of lectures- this session was nice, however. Still time to do the above.</p>

<p>Husband went last year. Parents are separated. Full of great info. Only one parent needs to go.</p>