Parents: How was Family Weekend??

<p>For those of us who didn't go, how was it?<br>
Did you enjoy the activities? Any good restaurants, new places to shop and explore? I'll be going in 2 weeks - anything I should check out?
Most importantly, how are your kids doing?</p>

<p>We had a great time and S looked wonderful. I think I noticed more this weekend just how much he has grown up. He is so focused and comfortable on campus and really loves being a college student at UM.</p>

<p>We wandered around campus on Friday while S was in class and had lunch at the Rat. Of course, H and #3 found more stuff at the bookstore and AllCanes to bring home. We went shopping with S, but surprisingly he couldn't find anything he needed. We went back to our hotel in the Grove to freshen up for dinner and within 5 minutes of laying down to watch tv, S was sound asleep. We knew he had had a really hectic week with tests and papers and didn't have the heart to wake him up, so we went to dinner and tried to explain to the waiter why we were in town for PW and weren't eating with our kid. LOL Saturday we went to the students' lot to tailgate before the game and it was fun to see S interacting with his friends and put some faces with names. Sunday we did go to the Everglades and then had an early dinner at Monty's before our flight home. It is so great to see your child happy and settled and with direction. We had a great weekend and are really looking forward to going back at Thanksgiving.</p>

<p>ctmom-We love LeBuchon sidewalk cafe on Main Hwy in the Grove for breakfast. H highly recommends the cajun omelet. Have a wonderful visit.</p>

<p>Our plane was delayed (what else is new--thanks again EWR) so we missed everything on Friday. We took D to dinner, went to the football game (a real blast, my first-ever college game because my urban college had no football team and my older D 's school (Brown) doesn't have the same outpouring of emotion unless it's the Harvard game.) Lordy, do those Miami fans know how to tailgate! And I was super impressed with the organization of the train and bus transfers.Then dinner again at "La Lupa di Roma on Lincoln Road in Miami Beach--wonderful, then Sunday shopping at Publix and Dadeland Mall, which I gather is the largest Macys in Florida. Then the Marin Mazzie/Jason Danielly concert at the "Guz". Then dinner again at Ruth's Chris in C G. It was our 30th anniversary and nice to celebrate there.It was great to see her scarf down her meals. It looked as if she was enjoying eating "real" food. She looks great and happy.I am very happy with her choice of schools.Going back to work was not easy. I wish I were in college again.</p>

<p>Our son got sick during our visit. The first day he was OK and we made it to the parent luncheon and BBQ in the evening. After that he crashed at our hotel with a stomach bug. We headed to the pool and shopped around town while he slept the day away. I'm glad I was there for his first illness while at college....got him chicken soup from room service and nursed him back to relative health. Dragged him around a bit after that to spend time with a relative and take his little sister to Parrot Jungle. Checked out Bayside too. Otherwise, hung around The Grove. We had breakfast mostly at either the hotel or Greenstreet...yum! The breakfasts looked good at LeBouchon too, we'll have to check that out next time. Made one run to Target for essentials. All in all not a bad weekend. The weather was hot and sunny. We are going back in February and will stay in South Beach. Our son is adjusting to college life....has good days, bad days and in-between days. Seems to be busy most of the time, playing bball and working out at the Wellness Center, studying (on occasion), hanging out at The Grove, seeing movies, concerts, beach, pool, etc. Seems to be utilizing all the facilities and making friends.
We stayed at The Sonesta this time. Good location.
Have a great trip!</p>

<p>Thank you all for your replies - made me feel a bit jealous (sigh)...but now I go tomorrow!</p>

<p>This visit I am bringing Grandma: to visit D and spend time with some relatives in the area (she'll be meeting her brand new great-granddaughter!).
We're staying at the Dadeland Hampton Inn - convenient to D's apt. and relatives and its my <em>new favorite</em> Miami hotel - great breakfasts and free self-park!! (pet peeve...I like access to my car).</p>

<p>We planned a non-football weekend as Gma just couldn't do it - thank goodness! Anybody else fed up with the "they started it!!" attitude??
I am curious to see how the Miami papers are handling it all.</p>