Parents of HS Class of 2024 3.0-3.4 GPA

Roll Tide.

1 Like

Congrats to @sbinaz D24 and @coastal2024 S24, and all the others. So exciting!!

We are working towards getting the applications in by first week of November. All his EA deadlines are 11-15. We did hire an essay coach to help motivate and guide him as he is really busy with his XC season, work, and of course school work.

Hope to continue to hear good news!

3 Likes

I would contact common app help desk - they may be able to fix the glitch fairly quickly if they know about it.

I asked him this morning g and it sounds like Common App got back to him and it may be resolved. He will submit this weekend if everything seems resolved.

3 Likes

D24 scheduled her first college interview!

5 Likes

Good luck to her! My daughter has her first this coming Thursday. I’m interested to see how it goes.

3 Likes

Looked at Scoir this weekend, and I am a bit nervous because the EA date for his favorite school is different from the the school’s EA deadline. GRR. I will have him ask his counselor to submit to all schools the same time.

Also, does anyone use College Vine and know its validity? I played around with that this weekend also and it said to submit scores to increase chances. Hmmm.

My suggestion is to use CollegeVine as a fun toy, not putting too much weight on the stats.
It could also be how elite (low acceptance rates) the college is to throw off the results.

High achieving DS2022:
CV said:

• 29% acceptance UVA: waitlisted
  • 24% acceptance for Notre Dame: son was rejected
  • 16% acceptance Northwestern: son was accepted
  • 12% acceptance MIT: son was accepted

Have fun.

1 Like

Interesting! Congrats to your son getting in MIT!

1 Like

Had D24’s “college planning meeting” with the guidance counselor this morning. GC felt D’s list hits all the highlights (a reach, a likely and a couple in the middle) and validated her choice of applying to just 4 schools.

D24 finally started working on her common app essay (thanks to her English teacher who is having them work on a draft in class). We set a goal of having a good working draft ready for someone else to review by the end of the weekend. We’ll see…

Looked over the app requirements for her two EA schools and saw, with great relief, that there do not seem to be any supplemental essays required. So, if all goes well with this common app essay, I think it is not unreasonable to think she could have them submitted by early October (the deadline is 11/1). The other two schools have deadlines of Jan. 5 and Feb. 15, but we talked about the value (for her own mental load) of having them submitted before school breaks for xmas.

I learn on 10/18 whether we’ll be eligible to apply for a Tuition Exchange scholarship. D24 has already most likely dropped Syracuse from her list, so the potential impact is just on two schools that she’s going to apply to either way. Still…it sure would be nice to be eligible (and even nicer to be awarded a TE scholarship).

5 Likes

@deecee36 Your story sounds similar to ours. We are trying for TE as well and working on the essay in English.

Why will she drop Syracuse?

She just wasn’t super interested in it after our tour.

2 Likes

Anyone visited University of New Haven? What was the vibe? Hard to gauge from the marketing materials.

I will persuade D24 to visit since it’s super close to my parent’s house upstate anyway. She has an aversion to Connecticut which I somewhat understand :wink:

We did a drive through visit. It’s not in the best area. We couldn’t get a good vibe from driving through, but it seemed a bit of a narrow campus. Is she interested in Forensics?

D24 got accepted today to Univ of New Mexico! They CALLED! Dang.

13 Likes

“Long distance operator calling. UNM is on the line. Will you accept the charges?” YES!!

2 Likes

Some mild success to report on the essay front:
Got D24 to “think out loud” about one of the LAC-specific essay prompts. She talked and wrote/typed what she said verbatim. Didn’t pay attention this first go around to grammar or spelling. Just focused on content. Only took about 10 min but afterwards, she said, “That was helpful. It gave me a lot of ideas that I can work with in class tomorrow.” :slightly_smiling_face:

9 Likes

D24 & I have decided that both NMSU and UNM’s student portals once you’re accepted totally suck because there’s no way to tell if you’ve been granted a merit scholarship and there’s nobody who will actually give you a straight answer at either university despite phone calls AND emails. They are both rapidly moving to the absolute bottom of the list right now very quickly.

D24 heard back from UNM. They said that they don’t release scholarship awards until spring. So…why are they already sending emails saying to enroll now? :slightly_smiling_face::roll_eyes:

1 Like

For colleges which don’t have limitless financial aid (almost all of them), it’s a chicken and egg thing. In my acceptance letter from Brown, they mentioned that it would be months before they would know whether they could give me any financial aid. Something of a show-stopper, since I needed full everything… which is one reason why they had to hold off: Wait and see what their FA budget looked like after others matriculated, since I would be taking as big of a bite out of it as one could possibly take.

As it happened, the wait was only a few (very long) days, suggesting that maybe their initial matriculations were rich-kid heavy and they became comfortable that they would have adequate money in the pot for a bottom-dweller like me. While not the same situation as with UNM, still an example of how there’s a balancing act of one sort or another needed at most schools. “Time” is one of the main tools they have for getting things to work out.