Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>Austin:</p>

<p>Healing thoughts coming from CA.</p>

<p>:cool: :cool:</p>

<p>T_c: Dā€™s move in at UPenn is offically Sept. 2nd. Sheā€™ll probably go Sep. 1st. There is an orientation week and then classes start.</p>

<p>And I LOVE ā€œGilmore Girls!ā€ So does my D. And I like the older episodes best as well. :)</p>

<p>Thanks, kindredspirit! Fingers crossed. : )</p>

<p>I also love the old episodes of Gilmore Girlsā€¦ Although a part of me always wanted to punch perfect Rory (and all her school psycho-ness) in the face! LOL. I have Friday Night Lights on right nowā€¦</p>

<p>lol momliveā€¦ my son says he wants new wardrobe for this year so like you i need to know what he needsā€¦ā€œi dont knowā€ what do you haveā€¦ā€œi dont knowā€ā€¦ what do you wantā€¦ā€œi donā€™t knowā€, well do you want to go shopping with meā€¦ā€œnoā€</p>

<p>austin - keeping you and your mom in my thoughts</p>

<p>sewemma - keeping you and your family in my thoughts </p>

<p>t_c - My D and I are addicted to Gilmore Girls :smiley: We have all 7 seasons on DVD. Iā€™m not sure how weā€™re going to share them when she goes to school ;)</p>

<p>parent56:</p>

<p>LOL at that dialogue! It sounds awfully familiar.</p>

<p>:cool: :cool:</p>

<p>AustinMtnMom: sending positive healing prayers to your mom. Hoping that you get the best possible news on Monday.</p>

<p>GSharp: Iā€™ll do what I can about the temps; we are under heat advisories until tomorrow night. Expecting 100 temps but itā€™ll be humid too. Our church BBQ is tomorrow and D2 will be working at it most of the day; weā€™ve been telling her to pre-hydrate all day. According to the weather channel, itā€™s supposed to ā€œonlyā€ be a high of 92 for Monday ;)</p>

<p>BT: I havenā€™t been to ā€œThe Endā€ yet. I really havenā€™t been to any of the small music venues, not even The Bluebird Cafe. But coffee & food I can help you out with :)</p>

<p>Iā€™m with AL34: 15 days till move in; weā€™re at 10amā€¦what time are you? Iā€™m starting to realize that the ā€œlastsā€ are in my face. For example, this week is the last week that D could go to church with us since weā€™ll be away next weekend & she moves in the Sunday after. Of course, weā€™re horrible about going in the summer soā€¦</p>

<p>Austinmtmom - sending hugs your way. Hopefully Monday brings good news. The waiting can be the worst. I had a cancer scare a few years ago - thank goodness it all ended up being fine - but while I was waiting for tests to be scheduled and read, I asked the doctor for something to help me calm down, and she gave me a prescription for Ativan. Otherwise my mind was like a gerbil on a wheel going faster and faster and it wouldnā€™t stop. </p>

<p>ACM - love your ā€œpsychic mom-finder from 3 states awayā€ story. If you find DBā€™s camera charger, Iā€™ll set you on the trail of the 3 pairs of sunglasses S & D managed to lose in 24 hours when we were on vacation.</p>

<p>Today D bought a small, plain picture frame to put a picture of her and her boyfriend in and give to him for his college desk/dorm. But then we were in the craft store and I found a plain wood ā€œphoto cube,ā€ about 4 inches square. D-the-artist was excited! She painted it masculine colors of navy blue, hunter green and gray. She was all excited to choose the pictures, print, trim and attach them, when her brother strolled in and announced, ā€œYou know heā€™s gonna get made fun of for that.ā€ Took the wind right out of her sails. Weā€™ve been making jokes about it all evening - she alternates between using her whiny-four-year-old voice to tell S heā€™s mean, and making South Park references about what S can do with his opinion. He keeps laughing and saying, ā€œIts. A. Photo. Cube. BF will be judged.ā€ </p>

<p>So - those of you with boys - ask them: If their roommate/friend had a photo cube on a shelf over his desk in his dorm room, made by his girlfriend, and it was covered with photos of the guy and the hot/pretty girlfriend, would you make fun of him?</p>

<p>My D and I have watched every episode of the Gilmore Girls together at least once (most twice or more). She LOVED that show! We were SO sad when it ended, and both hated the finale. We wanted Rori and Logan to get married, Rori to get her dream reporting job, Luke and Lorelei to get married, and everybody to live happily ever after; we were disappointed that Rori and Logan didnā€™t ride off into the sunset. My MIL is a bit like Roriā€™s grandmother ā€“ very upper-crust, northern, and opinionated. </p>

<p>D leaves on Aug. 12. Move-in day for first years is Aug. 21, but she moves in earlier because sheā€™s an athlete and has camp before school starts.</p>

<p>BT/RobD - ā€œThe Endā€ is across the street from ā€œExit Inā€ at the corner of Elliston and Louise. RobD - just down the street from Rotierā€™s and the Hampton Inn Nashville-Vanderbilt. It is kinda scary to see.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Yepā€¦that is exactly how the conversation went in our houseā€¦we even made a trip to the mall last week and looked at clothes (remember heā€™s the one who is requesting them) and he couldnā€™t decide what he wanted. Ugh!</p>

<p>

You can count on that. Please let us know when you have news.</p>

<p>Gilmore Girls is our all-time favorite show (not my husband and son). ā€œWhere You Leadā€ by Carole King is my ringtone for D1. Not that anyone cares, but my ringtone for D2 is, coincidentally, Carole King ā€“ Child of Mine. </p>

<p>Sā€™s tone is himself playing Over the Rainbow on the clarinet.</p>

<p>Hubby doesnā€™t have a ringtone. Come to think of it, his number isnā€™t even stored on my phone. I canā€™t even imagine what that all says about me.</p>

<p>

Weā€™ll all be here when you get back.</p>

<p>If anyone hasnā€™t read the thread by Curmudgeon about his roadtrip to take his D to college, itā€™s a must-read. I think it was August of 4 years ago.</p>

<p>^^^^
<a href=ā€œhttp://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/385663-moving-story.html[/url]ā€>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/385663-moving-story.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Priceless. :D</p>

<p>I am also a huge fan of Gilmore Girls :slight_smile: I have all seven seasons on DVD but I enjoy the earlier seasons better. The least season sucked personally so I kind of ignore it when I do re-watches. </p>

<p>austinmtmom - Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. I hope the doctor appoint goes well. ((hugs))</p>

<p>I move in on August 19th but we will be driving up the day before. I am worried since I will be moving in three days before my roommate but I will be able to help her get everything in. It will be less hectic in our room too. Only four weeks away :eek:</p>

<p>We drove to Kentucky today. OMG a 10 hour drive. We were all sick of the car by then. We met my brotherā€™s wife and she is fine. Very normal but seemed nervous. Tomorrow we are going to visit his base and then hang out. Weā€™ll leave early Sunday morning.</p>

<p>That is itā€¦I am doneā€¦there will be NO more laundry lessons at my house and S1 will just have to figure it out once he gets to college.</p>

<p>H and I just got home from a wedding rehearsal and when I walked passed my laundry room, I actually screamed. It was as bad as one of those ā€œtorture the new nannyā€ movies. He must have used 5 times the detergent in my front load machine. What would possess a kid to take soaking wet clothes from washing machine (of which he had to pry the door open) and put said clothing into the dryer? He said the dryer had been going for a few hours. Gee I wonder why? I literally have chunks of laundry soap caked inside the washer and fine powder coating the inside of the dryer. Of course before I could get a real close view up of this fine mess, I had to slip and slide through some sort of slimy mess. And to think that I had even typed up idiot proof instructions!</p>

<p>AMMā€¦ Praying for good news!!!</p>

<p>2educationā€¦ Bless your heart having to do this whole college thing back-to-back! Last year was such a stressful time in our home; Iā€™m glad we donā€™t have to go through it again for 5 more years. Your GPS story was quite entertaining. </p>

<p>Medemviziā€¦Hope yā€™all all have fun getting to know her. </p>

<p>Zoosermomā€¦Cute ring tones!
Mine for DH is ā€œCrazy for Youā€ by Heart. DDā€™s is ā€œHot and Coldā€ by Katy Perry because she can be SO moody at times. :slight_smile: </p>

<p>Still on vacation. Is it weird that the hardest part of being away from home for so long is missing my tiny foo-foo dog? We got her 4 years ago, and Iā€™m SO attached. We had to kennel her for the first time. (Typically MIL/FIL watch her, but theyā€™re gone.) When DH and I dropped her off, they showed me her little cage. I asked if there were other options, and they showed me their ā€œsuiteā€ (a small soundproof room with a TV.) My DH noticed the tears beginning to form in my eyes and told the receptionist weā€™d like to upgrade her to the suite. Iā€™ve called twice to check on her. Is anyone else kinda fanatical about their pets like this? Perhaps Iā€™m using her to fill the pending void Iā€™m about to feel. :(</p>

<p>Iā€™ve been reading about the drama on the '11 board. Some members do not appreciate the non-application talk and the off topicness which can sometimes go on. They would hate our thread when the older and legal members discuss alcohol, family weddings, family drama, and the inevitable Gilmore Girls. </p>

<p>I love this thread and and glad you all are accepting of the sometimes off topicness. :)</p>

<p>I donā€™t think weā€™re off topic. Weā€™re discussing issues of interest to parents who have kids who are heading off to college. :cool:</p>