Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>GSharp, thank you for the actual laugh out loud! I think he is going to live, apparently he really did not enjoy the “bed spins”. I am going to grit my teeth and consider this part of his and my education. He has lost my trust for the time being and I am seriously cosidering charging him for the rug cleaning, but I think he is going to live.</p>

<p>SWTCAT, how much stuff does your kid have? I’d say probably $20? That’s just a random guess, though. There will probably be a team of kids and the stuff will probably be in your room really fast. (That’s $20 for the team). Perhaps it is a fundraiser either for the frat, or more likely for a charity.</p>

<p>@ Parent56 - Naw, we’d sure like to, though. That’s one thing I hate about ConferenceUSA - the away games are faaaaar away. When we were in the Mid-American Conference, more of them were in striking distance. We have season tickets to all the home games, so we’ll get to see S when we tailgate.</p>

<p>mablab: I sent you a pm with banking links for NYU ATM/branch locations…</p>

<p>learning: I LOVE your shopping story! Our kids do what they need to do in their own time! And it gets done! How nice that your wonderful son made it a family outing. Made me smile, as I’m sure your all being together as he selected/purchased items for his “going away” to college, was just the way it was supposed to be. :slight_smile: And I hope he enjoyed the “spinning”…great image and more bittersweet smiles.</p>

<p>And re: those mixed feelings ranging from “no problem!” to memories of bringing our “babies” home from the hospital…right there with you! And continue to be there to celebrate and HUG as needed…It’s all good!!!</p>

<p>Stay :cool:</p>

<p>not sure how involved son will get in football, but hoping he will get into the school spirit… he was going to try out for marching band but i didnt think it was a good idea with his plan to do double degree… so he may look into jazz band.</p>

<p>As the duly appointed estrogen monitor, everyone needs to put away the remote and back off of the Lifetime network or you will be sentenced to a day of the SPEED channel.</p>

<p>ML – just explain to them that despite all the perks, the 2014 List Keeper job doesn’t quite pay enough to make up the $22K difference. They’ll surely grandfather you in.</p>

<p>P56 – Your youngest does drive a Ferrari compared to my vehicle. :)</p>

<p>YDS – You didn’t know that it was a competition? The winner gets his / her choice of Kleenex or a bottle of “Elation Containment Spray” depending on the mood of the day. Besides all Carleton needs is one more to match the Wahoos.</p>

<p>ACM – You could impress on S that W&M takes Honor Code violations seriously. Just sayin’.</p>

<p>Banking… Check. That’s done. For those considering Bank of America Student Checking, they told me at the bank today August 6 is the last day that BOA is going to offer free student checking accounts.</p>

<p>Anyone driving to the Northeast (aka “The Land of Tolls”), remember to get your EZ-Pass. It sure makes things EZ’er.</p>

<p>[Welcome</a> To E-ZPass](<a href=“http://www.ezpass.com/]Welcome”>http://www.ezpass.com/)</p>

<p>D2 must be getting in the school mood. I noticed that there is a “What to Bring?”, “What not to bring?” printout from the school’s website on the dining room table today. That’s progress.</p>

<p>G# - Thanks for the great list. I know there are lots of lurker/readers out there too from many schools reading and enjoying this thread :wink: </p>

<p>We are on Cape Cod visiting family after our Northeasern Orientation. Today we did the bulk of our college shopping since we can stash it with family til next month. If you too have been procrastinating on this, I highly recommend the BB&B $79.99 XL twin set. (We did not opt to have it sent to a store near campus, but I hear that method is available.) </p>

<p>I’m sure it is cheapo stuff, but it includes XL sheets, comforter, fleece blanket, pillows, towels, etc. Minimal decision-making. And it all comes in a laundry bag with handle. I think no matress pad, but we already had one. There were several colors/patterns to choose from. One was a grey pattern my son liked ok.
<a href=“Bed Bath & Beyond | The Best Deals Online: Furniture, Bedding, Rugs, Kitchen Essentials & Moree”>Bed Bath & Beyond | The Best Deals Online: Furniture, Bedding, Rugs, Kitchen Essentials & Moree;

<p>I did not have a BB&B coupon with me, but when we get back home they say I can bring the receipt and coupon to the local store for a refund. And since it was all one big combo item, the single coupon works well.</p>

<p>G#, can we change this to a per capita thing? I think we’d win then.</p>

<p>And, no, not giving up the remote yet – now it’s time for “After the Final Rose”!</p>

<p>Not helping the estrogen factor here, ha ha… currently watching The Real Housewives of New Jersey!</p>

<p>It is so beyond trashy, but I have to get my TV fix before the semester starts. ; )</p>

<p>GSharp, I’ll be sure to tell UT that! :)</p>

<p>DS finally got around to writing the thank-you letter to his grandparents for contributing towards his tuition this year. It was hard for him to write it - how can you adequately express your appreciation for a gift that large?? He did a good job, though. I kept telling him it’s just the fact that he’s sending it that matters.</p>

<p>So…anyone else fear their child is going to flunk out by Christmas !!! :eek:</p>

<p>S moves 2 weeks from tomorrow.</p>

<p>I made a “To Do” list today. Last few days have been work & GF time. Can’t seem to get anything done. I told him to choose ONE thing on the list at least to complete tonight. He did. He 3-hole punched the Chemistry syllabus and put it in a binder. Done. Sigh. :(</p>

<p>Ok, only 300 other things to do now. I am gritting my teeth. He hasn’t done the summer reading (neither has another girl here going to the same school nor has his roommate - but still !), nothing packed, hasn’t done any updates to his laptop, etc etc etc.</p>

<p>But…he can almost quote his new movie. !!!</p>

<p>I think I may explode. WHEN exactly do they start taking this seriously ?</p>

<p>GSharp - You are so right about “The land of Tolls”. We went from Logan to Ct, Ct to Boston, Boston to Maine. My boys were in shock over the number of tolls. I should have kept track for a total. It was a lot. My boys commented on how you needed a lot of ones to travel in New England. </p>

<p>YDS - I’m with you on sometimes hiding to watch a television show. I live with all males and they cannot watch I show I like without making comments.</p>

<p>thanks for reminder ml, the list i had of “to do” things missed the last of the thank you notes. </p>

<p>checkers … they wont flunk hopefully, but will make us anxious when they hit those first exams and assignments… my son is the biggest procrastinator in the world. hopefully he will understand he cant get away with that any more. he also has to understand the difference between “I want to” and “I have to” ie i want to go to a movie…i have to complete this assignment…right now i want to’s always win.</p>

<p>i am not watching lifetime but watched big bang theory… that show cracks me up… really dumb but i just envision my son as a phd one day with a bunch of dorky roomies LOL (he really isnt that bad but we love to tease him about his science brain)
my oldest once asked how women could watch lifetime movies… “all those women are getting beat up, raped, murdered, dumped by boyfriend, losing their children, jobs etc… like a really bad country and western song”</p>

<p>YDS…I ws so sad when she let Chris go early but i think it was the nice thing to do!! I can’t beleive that I have gotten sucked into this show one more time!!! Watching After the Final Rose Now and I had to crack up about your sons doing rap songs about the guys left…that sounds just like something that my H would do…he doesn’t understand that I need to hear every single word of dialog!!</p>

<p>GSharpM7:</p>

<p>

It’s cheating, but you could try to sneak my Ole S into the Carelton count if you want.</p>

<p>Also, to ACM, I’ll second what GSharpM7 says about your S and the W&M Honor Code:

</p>

<p>I believe I can say that the shopping is done! Picked up the printer this afternoon & D and I took an after dinner run to WalMart to get toiletries, cleaning supplies & paper goods. Check, check & check! We’ll go to Publix after she moves in on Sunday morning to get some odds & ends but that should be it. Woo hoo!</p>

<p>I am a big fan of Project Runway. I will probably be watching it online. I am a huge fan of Tim Gunn because of how snarky he can be. </p>

<p>RobD: Congrats on finishing shopping! I haven’t even started. Well I have which is the all in one set, mattress cover, mattress pad, and school/desk supplies. I was just in Florida for like 5 days and went in Publix. I miss Publix so much. It has to be one of my favorite grocery stores ever and I am sad we don’t have them in Maryland :frowning: But when I go to Ithaca they have Wegmans (which is mysterious to me but everyone tells me how wonderful it is).</p>

<p>YDS…looks like there’s a 4 way tie for second (Carleton, NU, U of C, and Yale). Competition might be tough. I predict those Cavaliers will manage to remain victorious, though. Go Wahoos!!! :D</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Has the season of football rivalry started already? :slight_smile: Okay, then! BCandBU82, Vewhitty, and almar4, bring on the heat – Oct. 16th – Charlottesville – let’s watch the underdog Wahoos show the mighty Tarhills who’s boss. :smiley:
PAVenturer…first game of the season…oh, yeah!
ML and SWTCAT…I am still praying for a repeat of the year before last with the mighty Crabtree final few seconds catch in the endzone. :slight_smile: You know, great things happen at Jones Stadium – Go Raiders!!! (LOVE my Alma mater!)</p>

<p>Good Morning!</p>

<p>jc40 - Go Heels!!!</p>

<p>acm and GSharp - It looks like we take on W&M on Oct. 30th.</p>

<p>We have tickets for the home games. I’m excited!</p>

<p>GSharp - Thank you for grouping me with the other Chapel Hill folks on your distribution list.</p>

<p>I’m off to work in my classroom. Meetings start next Monday. Open House on the 13th and school starts the 16th.</p>

<p>Good morning peeps!</p>

<p>Just checking in to wish all a good day.</p>

<p>RobD: CONGRATS on getting the shopping done! I am looking forward to being able to say WOOHOO on that front as well! :)</p>

<p>mdemvizi: I’m glad you have enjoyed your time spent in Florida. I’ve heard good things about Wegmans in Ithaca as well. I’m sure you will have access to all you need.</p>

<p>BUandBC82: Good luck with setting up your classroom! I’m sure your kids and parents appreciate your dedication and hard work. Back to school meetings on Monday? Wow!</p>

<p>Shillyshally: Just sending a shout out for you and your S for a wonderful day with the RedSox!</p>

<p>Not much going on here…D’s new computer arrived yesterday. It’s gorgeous! She is happy and my “new” one is just days away. Now I just have to get used to a Mac.</p>

<p>Have a great one everybody!</p>

<p>Staying :cool: :cool:</p>