Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>^^LOL Parent56…that’s why we always take our summer vacation the week of July 4th…it seems that people just do not show up for thier appointments after a holiday!</p>

<p>Happy 4th of July!
<em> </em>****<em> </em> <em> </em>****<em> </em> <em> </em>****<em> </em></p>

<p>Thanks for the pretty fireworks austinmt! :slight_smile: Very :cool:</p>

<p>Happy Fourth to everyone! Love the fireworks (wish I could do that).</p>

<p>Happy 4th of July. </p>

<p>Son and I went dorm shopping yesterday. Had to do it because this is the only weekend I have free until he moves in. (I don’t like running errands in the evening.) Gee boys are easy. Went to BBB, got a shower caddy, some over-the-door hooks, and a 11-piece combo pack of bedding, towels, etc. Target sold us a ream of paper, a flashlight, desk lamp, trash can, collapsible chair, and CD rack. </p>

<p>Done. Well, we might go out for a set of plastic drawers once he moves in. But that’s it. :)</p>

<p>A new laptop is included in WFU tuition. It felt weird bypassing all the tech aisles. Oh well.</p>

<p>well done DB!! i guess we will dorm shop and computer shop the weekend before move-in. having done this before i’m not feeling too overwhelmed.</p>

<p>have a great vacation swtcat!!</p>

<p>Enjoy your vacay swtcat!</p>

<p>DB: Awesome shopping trip! Boys are definitely easier than girls! Nice to be done…And we found those plastic drawers (that fit under the bed with bed risers) to be a lifesaver in terms of storage for my S’s dorm room. And it really is better to wait to pick those out until your S gets to school so you can see the room setup, etc.</p>

<p>:cool: :cool:</p>

<p>Well the dorm shopping has begun… </p>

<p>You oldtimers from the 2010 thread may remember my DD analogy for colleges - copied below…</p>

<p>My DD and I were talking colleges tonight. She had just come up with an interesting college as shopping analogy system for colleges:</p>

<p>Top Schools (Reach) = Anthropologie</p>

<p>Medium Schools (Match) = American Eagle</p>

<p>Lower schools (Safety) = H&M</p>

<p>No Way = Hot Topic. </p>

<p>So guess where she buys her bed spread - yes it was on sale… </p>

<p>Dorm shopping one item at a time is a very different experience than I had with DS - 30 minutes at Target, 30 minutes at Staples - Done.</p>

<p>I’m a court reporter married with children. D1 is going to Columbus State this fall for a BM, Vocal Performance. She moves into dorm on 8/13. She will be close to home, but not too close. Have been to Walmart, Target, or BB&B on a weekly basis getting dorm essentials. I, too, am waiting for that 20 percent off everything instead of 20 percent off one item at BB&B:)</p>

<p>S is rising junior and not sure what he wants to do college wise or military wise. That’s a wait and see situation.</p>

<p>D2 is an upcoming 8th grader who is our resident athlete (XC, track and field, basketball, and softball). Will be very interesting when she gets to high school with the NCAA clearinghouse and recruiting and so forth. Much different than the music auditions for D1, which was very intense also.</p>

<p>My son will be going to Rice in August.</p>

<p>musicmom26: WELCOME! And Congrats to your D! Around here, I think we’ve referred to the 20% off everything BB&B coupon as “The Golden Ticket!” :)</p>

<p>Nice to have you join us!</p>

<p>Dittoing a welcome to proudparents! Congrats and best to your S!</p>

<p>And off we go to the Mall…</p>

<p>Stayin’ :cool:</p>

<p>welcome musicmom26 and proudparents!! congrats to your children!!</p>

<p>scualum…LOL! son has decided he wants to change his sartorial style this year… from our local walmart (only store we basically have here) and a zillion school t-shirts to ???</p>

<p>Welcome mommusic and proudparents! And CONGRATS to your kids!</p>

<p>GSharp - Have a great time in LA. I hear sleeping is very overrated ;)</p>

<p>swtcat - Have fun on your vacay!!</p>

<p>scualum - LOVE that analogy! Your DD is very clever!</p>

<p>ks - Have fun shopping!!</p>

<p>I said something to my H about needing to buy something today and he said “Aren’t the stores closed for the 4th?” Right…don’t count on him to stimulate the economy anytime soon.</p>

<p>If anyone is a Bath and BodyWorks fan, the big 75% off sale ends tomorrow. We did some stocking up on D’s favorites, including those fun room fresheners they have. If you don’t want to venture out, you can shop online. Use the coupon code TWENTY to save 20% off any $25 purchase online :)</p>

<p>Thanks AMT! I was planning on taking my mom to the mall tomorrow anyway & having D & I look around. I’ll add the B&BW stop to our list :)</p>

<p>Happy 4th everyone! Our next door neighbor bought the “Total Domination” fireworks package & we’ll be watching him try not to blow his fingers off.</p>

<p>Dropped off D2 at 6:30 this morning for another week away; last week that D1 will be an “only” child. Hence the dorm shopping on Tuesday. She’s off to play golf with DH so I have a few hours of solitude this morning. Yay!</p>

<p>For Kajon and family with their loss of beloved Charlie</p>

<p>I stood by your bed last night,
I came to have a peep.
I could see that you were crying,
You found it hard to sleep.</p>

<p>I whined to you softly
as you brushed away a tear,
“It’s me, I haven’t left you,
I’m well, I’m fine, I’m here.”</p>

<p>I was close to you at breakfast,
I watched you pour the tea,
You were thinking of the many times,
your hands reached down to me.</p>

<p>I was with you at the shops today,
Your arms were getting sore.
I longed to take your parcels,
I wish I could do more.</p>

<p>I was with you at my grave today,
You tend it with such care.
I want to reassure you,
that I’m not lying there.</p>

<p>I walked with you towards the house,
as you fumbled for your key.
I gently put my paw on you,
I smiled and said, “It’s me.”</p>

<p>You looked so very tired,
and sank into a chair.
I tried so hard to let you know,
that I was standing there.</p>

<p>It’s possible for me,
to be so near to you everyday.
To say to you with certainty,
“I never went away.”</p>

<p>You sat there very quietly, then smiled,
I think you knew…
in the stillness of that evening,
I was very close to you.</p>

<p>The day is over…
I smile and watch you yawning
and say, “Goodnight, God bless,
I’ll see you in the morning.”</p>

<p>And when the time is right for you
to cross the brief divide,
I’ll rush across to greet you
and we’ll stand, side by side.</p>

<p>I have so many things to show you,
there is so much for you to see.
Be patient, live your journey out…
then come home to be with me.</p>

<p>[I&lt;/a&gt; Stood By Your Bed Last Night](<a href=“http://www.rainbowrockcanines.com/poems/i_stood_by_your_bed_last_night.htm]I”>http://www.rainbowrockcanines.com/poems/i_stood_by_your_bed_last_night.htm)</p>

<p>Hi Everyone - Happy Fourth!
So, when does the “soiling the nest” phase begin? S as been so cooperative lately. He was going out w/friends for the day and DH asked him to wash his car first. Not only did he wash DH’s car but he did mine, as well! And I really didn’t think he’d want to join us on our short trip up the coast next month but he said he was coming! </p>

<p>RE: dorm shopping. I think I’m lagging! I hadn’t even thought of the bathroom items like shower caddies, etc. S will be in an apt style dorm w/4 bedrooms and 2 baths. I think they will need to bring in bathroom rugs, shower curtains and kitchen items in addition to their bedroom things. Where’s that list on cc again?</p>

<p>Since we’re discussing shopping today–</p>

<p>Any recommendations (or thoughts) on mattress toppers? Or maybe there is a previous thread someone can point me to.</p>

<p>There will be no actual shopping until the thank-you notes are written…</p>

<p> Good morning Everyone!!! :heart::heart::heart:</p>

<p>Happy Holidays! Beautiful fireworks, austinmtmom!</p>

<p>{{{Hugs}}} to Kajon, BUandBC82, and DB…my heart is with you as you share news about the furry ones. Our pup is 6 yrs old and is such a part of our family (D is her mom, making me the grandmother, lol). </p>

<p>t_c: Hope you have an awesome family trip. We will be thinking of you at the NYC luncheon.</p>

<p>mdemvizi: Sorry for all the stress with your brother…hope your family can have a relaxing day.</p>

<p>CD: yay for reaching senior member status! You are right…it was Keil who expressed an interest in lingusitics…btw, where is she, anyhow?</p>

<p>Rocket: Happy to hear your father’s recovery is progressing nicely; my FIL went through the same thing about 10 yrs ago, and today he is fine!</p>

<p>{{{{{HUGS, in general, to our CC kids. We parents appreciate your wanting to hang out and share with us!}}}}}</p>

<p>Hope all shoppers have successful outings! KS, my kids are going to the Yankee game (even though we are in Mets-world here) today. No worries…they still root for the Yanks!</p>

<p>Have a great day, everyone!</p>

<p>pmartin, We sprung (get it…mattress/spring…oh, never mind, lol) for the Tempurpedic one. At $350, it’s pricy, but my kids love all things Tempurpedic. I figure it’s worth it if it helps to ease the transition just a bit.</p>