Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>In case you haven’t seen my thread: <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/1470278-international-churches-christ-recruiting-campus.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parent-cafe/1470278-international-churches-christ-recruiting-campus.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>We are worried beyond belief. Right now, DS is just not “there.” He’s in another dimension. His wonderful doctor thinks he will come down after a few days, so that’s what we are praying for.</p>

<p>ML: Sending lots of prayers to all of you. ((Hugs))</p>

<p>ML so sorry to hear of this, keeping you all in my prayers.</p>

<p>ML, I’m so sorry, these setbacks must be soooo frustrating for you.</p>

<p>We had a nice long talk with DS this weekend. He’s getting a lot of off the record talks from people fairly high up in Jordan politics. Very interesting. </p>

<p>He’s also wondering if he really needs to do a international relations type internship (especially if it’s unpaid). In many ways he’d rather just have the job he had at Tufts last summer and earn money. We told him to keep applying for internships, but not to close the door on the Tufts job yet. I think he’s really tired of applications - just finished writing an essay about how he used library materials for the award that he’s been put up for. Don’t know what the competition for that prize is, but it was a lot more trouble than just handing in the nominated paper!</p>

<p>waving Recovering from a Flu bug. Have absolutely no plans for today. I do hope someone goes to the grocery store. </p>

<p>On the bright side, I lost 4 pounds. :p</p>

<p>Reading all the posts since Friday - you have been a busy bunch, I hope everyone enjoys their visits. G#: Perhaps you are recovering today also. :)</p>

<p>Good morning!</p>

<p>ML: my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!</p>

<p>College news: S2 signed up for a 4 week Travel Study in Greece this summer with his favorite professor. He is excited. He really wanted to go last year, but I told him if he made some money last summer he could go this summer. </p>

<p>I am going with my mom and sister today for our annual trip to Palm Springs. We will spend 2 days at the BNP Paribas Open tennis tournament. I am excited.</p>

<p>ML–thinking of you and your son.</p>

<p>Checkers, hope you feel better after the flu!</p>

<p>Warm weather here today! Better enjoy it b/c it’s going back down to the 40s the rest of the week. And rainy. :(</p>

<p>Yesterday I realized if S will be home all summer working in town…he can CUT THE GRASS! :)</p>

<p>ML - Thinking of your whole family today.</p>

<p>Tonight is the last big family dinner before my cousin and her husband leave for Japan tomorrow. It’s been a long couple of months and I know they are excited but is a daunting process. Will this thread exist in 3 years when they come back? Who knows.</p>

<p>sure it will mdem… we all have grad school, gap years, transfers, change in majors to go through yet! safe travels to your cousin</p>

<p>feel better soon checkers</p>

<p>Sending good wishes and vibes to everyone. I, too, have come down with something, and have effectively just been sleeping between meals.</p>

<p>ML - Thinking of you and your family.</p>

<p>I hope everyone ELSE had a nice weekend. ;)</p>

<p>It looks like at least mommusic and IL had a great weekend!</p>

<p>Aliceinw – Yay for getting out before the storm.</p>

<p>ML – Sending good thoughts to your whole family!</p>

<p>LIMOMOF2 – Congrats to the Crimson. I don’t think that their victory means that we will have D2 home for Spring Break though. </p>

<p>ProudNJMom – Thanks for the reminder… no kilts! ;)</p>

<p>We visited 5, yes 5, very different potential wedding / reception venues yesterday. The each have their pros and cons. Even assuming that $ was no object (a bad assumption, by the way ;)) there is no clear winner or loser.</p>

<p>This weekend, I learned so much about all the wedding options we have before us. It gets a little overwhelming, but luckily everything is nicely packaged according to your needs and named to help you keep it all straight.
Fairy Tale – Because you love your daughter more than life itself and she deserves the very best regardless of what it does to you financially.
Enchanted – She will hardly notice that you didn’t love her enough to get the “Fairy Tale.”
The Princess – Show her you love her, but she comes from a mortal family.
The Cinderella – You thought this day would never come so jump on it. Pumpkins are upgradable to a coach for a fee. Strict time limit.
The Riemann Sum – When there are limits to your love.
The Pastoral – The package that nicely says, “We come from hearty peasant stock.”
Trinity of Bliss: Lovely, Thoughtful, and Budget Conscious – Pick any two.
Bewitched – When perception just has to be reality.
Bewildered – When you’re pretty sure this wedding should take place.
The “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner?” – with pricing that’s not nearly as black and white as it would seem on the surface. Time to decide on this package is limited.
Destiny – Your bridal train without rails.
Destitution – When you want to see where your wedding is taking you. Upgradable to “The Indigent” for a small fee.
The Rumplestilskin – When you don’t want your special day to come back to haunt you in 20 years.
The Emetic – Bring your feelings to life.
Forgiven – Don’t’ worry, eventually you will be.
The Snow White – The fairest package of them all. Comes with 7 half-price attendants.
Acceptable – Our most misnamed package.
Sufficient – Barely so. Can be upgraded to ‘Acceptable’ with no discernible difference if you like that name better.
Hitched – Comes with the use of one hall and a shotgun.</p>

<p>The themes seem to be:

• Your child should leave with a lifetime of memories to cherish while you simultaneously leave a broken shell of a man.
  • If you loved your daughter, you’d upgrade to the next tier.</p>

<p>Y’all must’ve done some really bad things in a previous life to end up in the 2014’s with me. ;)</p>

<p>G# you make me laugh as always.</p>

<p>Had a painful morning, paid tuition for D1 and S2 plus close to 2K for taxes. I decided paying tuition for a kid on the quarter system is psychologically more painful than the semester system. We had a Margarita on arrival and are going to the tennis tournament tomorrow so things are looking up.</p>

<p>Good morning! Coffee’s on. Anyone like chicory? We have some with instructions to mix with coffee for a real NOLA experience. Trader Joe’s USED to sell a version with chicory in but it has disappeared, apparently because I was the only one who bought it.</p>

<p>good morning all! thanks for the coffee mommusic!</p>

<p>i hate hate hate time changes…back to driving to work in the dark!</p>

<p>I’m determined that today will be a good day! DS will be assigned an “official” doctor who I should be able to speak to, later this morning. I want to know what the specific plan is. He took his meds last night, so that’s a step in the right direction. DH is really struggling, so I need to be strong for both of us. I can do it! I appreciate all of your thoughts and prayers.</p>

<p>ML, hoping your son has a good day and the meds start working soon</p>

<p>ML- Holding the good thought for your DS (and you too.)</p>

<p>((((ML))))</p>

<p>P56 - I wish they’d do away with the time change altogether. It really doesn’t serve much of a purpose any more. </p>

<p>G# - Good luck figuring all this out. I would categorize my wedding as The Princess and I wouldn’t have had it any other way.</p>

<p>Waving fron DC! Standing outside the National Archive with a gazillion students. I have new appreciation for jc40 on her school trips. Exhausting-looking gig, if you ask me</p>