Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>Hi all. WhirledPeas2u (WP) here. I was a regular, but infrequent poster on the former thread. I cannot believe I spent the last two days reading 36 pages!!! I have been away on a cruise and then my oldest D (26) got married on 7/4. It was such a beautiful wedding, btw. I am a SAHM and H is a physician. We will be empty nesters. I have enjoyed staying home with our 3 children, and will miss the day to day living with them in the house. I fill my time with tennis, yoga and volunteer work.<br>
D2 will be a freshman at UCF Honors college. Move in day is 8/20. She was sure she wanted an out of state school, and we looked at and applied to several. UCF was a last minute add on, and she ended up choosing it.</p>

<p>We have not started shopping yet. D will be in the Honors dorm, which is a 4 BR/2 bath with a kitchenette. She will have a double sized bed, which I think is pretty much unheard of in most college dorm rooms. D is not the shopping kind, so shopping should not be a problem, as she is not picky.</p>

<p>Looking forward to continuing with such a great group here on CC.</p>

<p>Congrats to the IP diplomas!!</p>

<p>On our end, my S is the one not interested in his AP scores; I’d probably pay the CB if it were up to me.</p>

<p>As for baseball, well, I think my dad was the biggest Yankee fan in the world (even though he grew up in Brooklyn). My entire childhood we had a picture of a Yankees team from the 50’s on our fireplace mantel, rather than a family picture, and I grew up watching games from the time I was really tiny. I loved watching baseball with my dad, but never particularly picked up his Yankee fascination. We also had some affection for the Orioles, since our AAA farm team belonged to them, and we went to several games a year and saw all the players before they made the bigs. Fast forward to moving to Boston for law school, and a Red Sox fan was born. And no, I didn’t suffer through for as long as some of you, but believe me, law school was a long time ago and I suffered plenty. My sister followed in my dad’s footsteps, and sometimes it’s hard for us to watch a Yankees-Red Sox game in the same room. She’s also a Lakers fan - don’t know how that happened. Maybe she’s just contrarian?</p>

<p>Zooser and CD, congratulations to you kids on the IB. It sounds like a grueling curriculum. My best friends daughter is starting it next year.</p>

<p>I did most of my errands, just have to go out one more time to the Lash Bar in town to have my lashes touched up! I am loving my extensions. It is insanely hot. </p>

<p>S is slowing making his way home. He hit the DC area traffic a little while ago. He thought he found away around some of it. He said “mom I got cocky, and now I’m stuck, don’t expect me for dinner.” I made some chicken and lentil salad, I also made some guacamole so he can have something cold whenever he gets in.</p>

<p>I am not at all a baseball fan, we used to go to Baltimore every summer right after S got out of school. We always went to see a game at Camden Yards. I always brought a book. I have no idea what games we saw. It drove S insane!</p>

<p>Congrats to zooermom’s D and CountingDown’s S on the great IB accomplishments! IB isn’t seen around here much, but we do have one school that does it, and I’ve heard just how stressful it can be. It must be so rewarding to earn that IB diploma! </p>

<p>I’m not a big sports fan, but if I ever root for a team, it’s the Giants :)</p>

<p>Congrats to the IB’ers! zm, 27 units is MAJOR!</p>

<p>I just saw a thread on the upcoming admissions season and I thought, “OMG, it was a year ago and we actually survived!”</p>

<p>CONGRATULATIONS!! to CountingDown’s S and zoosermom’s D on those IB dplomas!!</p>

<p>BT - Awww, now I need the Kleenex. What great baseball memories to have.</p>

<p>The Cape Cod League sounds fabulous. I grew up watching the Houston Astros but really what’s the point now LOL! We do love our minor leagure team the Round Rock Express.</p>

<p>scualum - How cool for your S! Hope he is having a great summer in the West Coast League!</p>

<p>Welcome BonnieNewJersey! Glad you came to join in the fun!!</p>

<p>PS - It is very hard to type with 2 cats sitting in front of the screen and slapping at the keys!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>aliceinw…that’s how I got hooked…Thanks for the smile (and a couple of sweet tears). No matter what the team, truly the best part is being a fan and the wonderful memories…</p>

<p>acm: As usual, your dinner sounds delish! Hope S makes it home in time to enjoy some…and safely.</p>

<p>Big Congratulations to zoosermom’s D and CountingDown’s S on their IB diplomas! <em>\O/</em></p>

<p>Count me in as a big Red Sox fan (or fanatic according to my H) ;)</p>

<p>WhirledPeas: I forgot to say Welcome Back and nice to have you continue the ride. Mazel Tov on your D’s wedding! Wishing her every happiness and joy. :)</p>

<p>And WP, your D2’s dorm set up at UCF Honors College sounds awesome!</p>

<p>:cool: :cool:</p>

<p>AP scores arrived today (northern California). They had been posted in the college portal sin July 1st.</p>

<p>D will start with 15 credit hours - that’s a whole semester that will help with her idea of a double major.</p>

<p>Congrats to CountingDown’s S and Zoosermom’s D on their IB diplomas! And yay for the excellent grades on those tough essays, CD. I know how hard your S worked for those As.</p>

<p>acm - wishing your S safe travels in this heat. </p>

<p>BT - loved your description of watching your S’s baseball progress over the years. </p>

<p>I’ve always favored the Mets over the Yankees, but will root for the Yankees if they’re playing against any other team. Wonder if living in the Boston area will turn my D into a Red Sox fan. I can’t see that happening, but you never know.</p>

<p>Back from eyelash appointment, I actually fell asleep during the process, heaven!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Amen! Last summer we rented a house that was a very short walk to the Orleans baseball field, so we went to a couple of games and loved them. </p>

<p>I grew up as a big Mets fan (Mookie Wilson!) and H is a Yankees fan. These days I just root for the Phillies, since that’s who S loves. I’m very fickle. :)</p>

<p>And a HUGE CONGRATULATIONS to the IB diploma-holders. What a terrific accomplishment!</p>

<p>Congrats on the IB diplomas! I know how hard the program is.</p>

<p>Count me in as another lifelong Yankees fan…I can still name the 1978 starting lineup; loved Thurman Munson & Bucky Dent. </p>

<p>Returned from shopping & we’ve made a huge dent. D heard from her one roommate today that she didn’t care about the bathroom decor so she picked out a cool Roxy curtain & accessories at BB&B (where they were just setting up their dorm section so no one should feel like they’re behind; we’ll have to go back.) Other roommate told her that they’re planning on the living room being in the style of Anthropologie; thought of someone’s college/shopping analogy on this thread. Not quite sure what that style is, but it sounds expensive to me. A friend told me to think World Market & Pier One. </p>

<p>We got towels & a set of plastic storage drawers, pillows & a fuzzy blanket. Confused about the mattress cover; could only find twin not twin xl. D still wants to get some storage baskets but is torn between styles & colors. </p>

<p>I can’t believe it is hotter in the Northeast than it is here in TN; we’re in the South!</p>

<p>And in very exciting news, I got an email from the ragdoll breeder today; her queen had 6 kittens this morning, meaning our new addition has arrived :slight_smile: She doesn’t let them leave their mom until 10-12 weeks old so that will be mid-late September.</p>

<p>acm, where have I been? I had to google The Lash Bar to learn about lash extensions! ;)</p>

<p>shivers down my spine and a not pleasant twitch when RobD mentions Bucky Dent…</p>

<p>RobD: CONGRATS on the birth of your ragdoll kitty! How wonderful. :slight_smile: And sounds like your D’s dorm shopping is in full swing!</p>

<p>^jackie: That’s why I chose not to mention it in my post! Though just think 2004 and you’ll feel better…a Yankee memory that makes me shiver. I think we all have 'em!</p>

<p>touche ks, and thanks for thinking of my feelings :D</p>

<p>jackie: :wink: and :)</p>