Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>Morning from Dallas. I’ll also take cinnamon raisin. Yum.</p>

<p>Like amt as “mountain mom.” :)</p>

<p>Nothing here to report. Just trying to occupy myself while everyone else sleeps. Hope y’all have a wonderful weekend.</p>

<p>Hello everyone! I’m a newbie to this thread. S will be a freshman at LSU this fall… actually, he leaves for college in just a few weeks (yikes). Nice to meet y’all!</p>

<p>welcome Psi and congrats to you and son</p>

<p>Adding a welcome and congrats to you and your S, psi! Nice to have you join this great community.</p>

<p>Bought our King Tut tix this morning. Taking daughter and ma-in-law to NYC next Friday for the day. Should be fun!</p>

<p>Good morning everyone! There is this wet stuff falling from the sky- I think they call it rain. It has been so long since I have seen it. The grass is crunchy!</p>

<p>The everything bagel is yummy- thanks ks!</p>

<p>I am staying home today. Told D that she won’t get any new toys on her birthday if the old ones are not cleaned up and gone through. She took that very seriously! She will be 6 on Thursday. My mom is buying her a wii- S2 has one, but plans on taking it to college with him.</p>

<p>Austin, your dorm shopping is complete? Complete? We haven’t started! Haven’t even really thought about it. I was putting it off till after our vacation (we got back 2 days ago). Maybe I’m more laid back since this is the 2nd kid going to college. Plus I was hoping to have a shopping day with D and her roommate and the roommate’s mom, since her roommate only lives 1/2 hour from us. I guess D is ready to get started though. Yesterday her BF’s mom bought the BF’s comforter/sheet set (BF didn’t go to the store, his mom just went shopping, brought the set home, then asked him if it was ok). Anyway, BF’s mom told D that BB&B had some nice sets but they were being snatched up. D went online and found a set she likes. Her college is 700+ miles away and D won’t be packing light, so I need to contact my cousin who lives near the college and see if we can order the comforter/sheet set and have it shipped to her house. Then I guess I need to make a list of what D needs to bring. Thank goodness for S’07, who travels really light - he can tell his younger sister that she doesn’t really need all that stuff that the stores are going to tell her to buy!</p>

<p>P56 - my S kept a bunch of books from frosh year, thinking he’d need to refer back to them. He told me the other day he has never once looked at them, and eventually sold them (or tried to, the editions may have changed). I remember keeping basic college texts thinking I’d need them for reference, and then never using them either.</p>

<p>We pay for books, but S’07 is thrifty. He buys as many as he can thru Half.com. Then he re-sells as many as he can, again on Half.com. We let him keep whatever he makes from re-selling the books, since he saves us so much by buying them there instead of the bookstore. D doesn’t have her course list yet, let alone her book list, but she says she will try Half.com.</p>

<p>A friend of mine told me about chegg dot com. Her daughter saved a bundle by renting books from them!</p>

<p>Welcome, Psi! Congrats to you and your son! </p>

<p>YDS…what do you think about this weather we’re having? I’m now getting a little tired of the rain. I know in a few days when it’s gone and we have temps back in the 100s, I’ll be wanting these damp, cooler days to return. </p>

<p>Several of my D’s friends are busily purchasing clothing (as well as dorm stuff, books, and school supplies) for fall sorority rush. All I can say is I’m grateful D’s school does deferred rush after Christmas. We did get her packets and recs distributed, though, so at least that’s one less thing to worry about. (Boy, it took a LOT of time! Things have certainly changed since my sorority days:) )</p>

<p>Laf: I think you can order from BB&B online and pick it up at the store near your D’s college. We will go to the BB&B near us and register with everything we select (just go through the store and scan the item) to be picked up at BB&B near D’s school. My H has strongly requested that we try to pick up as much of the stuff as we can “on the other side.” D currently seems most concerned about where she is going to fit all her shoes!</p>

<p>:cool: :cool:</p>

<p>Welcome, Psi. Nice to meet you too. Wishing your S a great time at LSU. </p>

<p>Hi to you, psychmom. :slight_smile: Have a great time at the show today!</p>

<p>I have the Kindle on my wish list, but other things always seem to be a bigger priority. Maybe for Christmas… I’m another one with piles of books throughout my house, and I’d love to cut back on the clutter.</p>

<p>Oh Psychmom! So fun :slight_smile: Enjoy the show; the 4 of us saw Green Day in concert last year and had a great time. While I’m sure the show is different than that, I’m sure the energy will be high.</p>

<p>I’m waffling on an e-reader; I’ve been waiting for the prices to drop and they have begun; I’m thinking I’ll be asking for one from Santa Claus. Right now I’m leaning towards the Nook. The Kindle has DRM issues (digital rights management; similar to the initial complaints about the iPod) and the Sony is still the most expensive. </p>

<p>D is OK with the used books; as she reminded me, she’s gotten used books every year as a public school student & that worked out fine. </p>

<p>Count me in as another who doesn’t like the DARE program. There have been studies done that show that it is ineffective, but it’s a big grant magnet for police programs. And it’s un-PC to campaign against it; I mean, that just makes you look like you WANT kids to drink, do drugs, etc. When they were in the program the kids used to give DH a hard time about having a beer; since he only has a couple on the weekend it used to wind his clock.</p>

<p>But apparently people have issues with everything. I was looking for something about IB and found out there’s tons of people who are anti-IB because of the global citizen/ education aspect and because it’s affiliated with UNESCO. And it’s anti-American. I just don’t want D2 to do it because I don’t think “the juice is worth the squeeze.” Is it wrong that now I’m a little more on the IB band wagon just to be subversive ;)?</p>

<p>hmmm, my splurge each month is to place my order for books from mystery guild (no bookstore here) and saw a new release from an author i like…so after discussion here this am…i decided ok, go to the sony ereader library and buy it… it was 19.00 there vs 15.99 in hardcopy at mystery guild…i would have thought they would be cheaper as an online download…not helping me with the decision to try the sony!!!</p>

<p>robd - ditto on DARE… and i’m a public school teacher!</p>

<p>oooh thanks RobD, thats a great argument to use with son on the used texts!!</p>

<p>parent56; if you have the Sony e-reader, I think you should be able to buy ebooks from anyplace, including bn.com. That’s one of the reasons it was attractive to me…</p>

<p>i didnt know that RobD!! the booklet that comes with it doesnt tell you anything except the ereader library site</p>

<p>Ok, need to whine, fellow CC parents. We’ve looked at our finances this way and that, and there’s no room there for a summer vacation this year. With college x 3, and home repairs…it wouldn’t be prudent. Unlike the federal government :wink: we’re limited!<br>
Let’s hear it for staycations!</p>

<p>P56: from the Sony ereader site: “With support for multiple file formats including ePub and PDF, you can enjoy books from more places, including the Reader™ Store and over one million free public domain titles from Google Books.” Just looked at the bn.com site and it doesn’t say they support the Sony ereader; but I think Borders does since they sell the Sony’s in the store. If you go to the Borders home page, click on the eBooks tab and scroll down the left hand menu, you’ll see an option for file type. ePub & PDF are there so it should work. </p>

<p>Hope this helps!</p>

<p>same book at bn.com as an ebook is 20 but doesnt say works with sony. may have to try this out with books other than new releases.</p>

<p>hugs mimimom!! we gave up on vacations due to husbands work… bought a house on a small lake instead… do try to send the kids on a vacation as we can…ie son leaving for canada for a month on monday, last year they went to california. kids still complain we dont have vacations though.</p>

<p>eta crossposted with robd…thanks!! will try that</p>