Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>t_c and acm, I was hoping you would both be able to make this get together! </p>

<p>r6l - forgot to say, I’m glad you’re dad’s doing well. Prayers for his continued improvement.</p>

<p>t_c - have a great trip. Can’t wait to hear about it when you return.</p>

<p>Could the NYC meetup be moved to a week or so later? I don’t know when other people start college, but I don’t think any New York area folks mentioned anything before August 20th or so. And by then acm would be back. I don’t know how this is for other people, but just a thought.</p>

<p>I went on a bathing suit buying frenzy today! I hate buying bathing suits, but I managed to buy 4 that I like. I wear a bathing suit almost every day in the summer. I don’t know if I found any liked last year, I definitely felt like I needed them, plus if I find one I don’t hate I buy it. My anniversary is in 2 weeks, H asked what I wanted, I said nothing! I think the new garden is enough, and of course the bathing suits!</p>

<p>What a terrible tragedy about that young man. God bless his family.</p>

<p>Jackie: Sorry to hear about your visit to the Cape being shortened. Still wishing you a wonderful two days and a smooth, speedy journey back home. Enjoy!</p>

<p>T_c and acm: Bummer about neither of you being around on August 7th to join the lunch. I also am so looking forward to meeting you in person.</p>

<p>T_c: The date of the 7th was agreed upon by the five of us that met in NYC in February. I think at least one or two of that group are not available e.g. on August 14th. If people have other dates to suggest, feel free…though it may be difficult with various college departures and any family vacations.</p>

<p>Mathmom: Thanks for posting the “save the date!” </p>

<p>Anyone interested and available to meet please pm me and let me know. Right now, there are no other details beyond the date. Once we have a final count of who is able to meet, we can discuss via pm’s suggestions for an exact time and place.</p>

<p>Hoping many in the NYC area will be able to make it. And for those who may not be able to, we can always plan another!</p>

<p>acm: I LOVE hearing about your shopping excursions. Any havaianas to go with your new swimsuits? ;)</p>

<p>ETA: Just want to say that I just saw zooser’s post about the loss of the young man…after I hit submit…again…it puts so much in perspective…and no disrespect meant with the lighthearted nature of my post. I continue to think about his family and their tragedy in losing their dear son.</p>

<p>:cool: :cool:</p>

<p>MaineLonghorn-such a tragedy! :frowning: Thoughts and prayers to the young man’s family.</p>

<p>ML - my heart goes out to that poor young man’s family. What a terrible loss.</p>

<p>I would so love to meet up with all of you in NYC, and I am WAY overdue for visit to my favorite city, but we are leaving for vacation (DisneyWorld!) on the 7th. Darn. Maybe next time. Have a great time at lunch!</p>

<p>Wow ML…</p>

<p>That news is very upsetting. Yes Jackie, D was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at age 6.
That is why she has chosen to enter the health field. She will be studying nursing as an undergraduate, and hopes to become a Diabetes Educator.</p>

<p>It just made the “going away to college” thing much more stressful. :(</p>

<p>ML…what a tragedy :frowning: So sorry to hear about it! He sounds like he was an outstanding kid!</p>

<p>ACM…congratulations on buying 4 bathing suits! We are headed to the beach next week and I REALLY need at least one new one ,but I can’t bring myself to actually try them on. I think it’s the lighting and mirrors in those dressing rooms :)</p>

<p>I know SWTCAT, it is absolutely cruel how they light those dressing rooms! I always want a nice big glass of wine afterward! KS, no havaianas today. I think I have enough for now, I mean I am pretty sure I have at least 20 pairs between both houses. I did buy a really cute Milly halter top though. I need some cover ups now. I love this time of year when all the summer stuff starts going on sale!</p>

<p>Wish I could make the NYC gtg on Aug. 7th, but that’s the date we chose for S2’s “Going Away” party. Grandparents and relatives flying in from Michigan, and lots of celebrating planned. I’m in for the next one, once the kids settle in to their new college homes.</p>

<p>LOL ACM…I am thinking maybe some wine or margaritas BEFORE I go try them on :)</p>

<p>ML, so sorry about the young man. </p>

<p>acm, no amount of wine – before, during, after – could get me to try on bathing suits.</p>

<p>I didn’t say this in my intro, but ds is working at a local bank this summer. He has to dress “business casual” every day, so he spent some graduation money buying new slacks and shirts. He is cracking me up each day with his description of life in the office. It’s just him and another male intern in an office full of women. Other than me (who is low maintenance), he hasn’t had much exposure to females. He talks with disdain about how this one woman has pictures of cats all over her cubicle (sorry, cat lovers) but “to mix it up” she has a picture of a raccoon dressed as a cat. LOL. It’s actually a great gig for him, in lots of ways. Today, he learned the company gets free tickets to the local minor league baseball team, so he put in for four w/a parking pass for later this summer. And tomorrow is the company July Fourth cookout so he’s supposed to wear a “patriotic” polo. He’s getting in the spirit by making one of his famous apple pies. He’ll get to that tonight after he gets home from the movies with friends. While the work isn’t the most satisfying in the world, he loved seeing that paycheck today for the past two weeks. He’s been giving his friend working at a Boy Scout camp grief about his friend’s paltry salary. I do think he gets how good he’s got it!</p>

<p>YDS, I ran, lifted and did pushups on the ball today, today was the only day I felt I could try on bathing suits!</p>

<p>Hi, I have been reading this site for a year but never posted.I do feel like I’ve come to know all the regulars. I have one daughter who will be going to NYU majoring in business. Live in upstate NY. Stay at home mom husband is a doctor.Hoping to find some kind of employment once school starts Aug.28.Do have two high need yellow labs.Well behaved but both have medical problems.Don’t know how they will react not having anyone home all day. Don’t usually leave them to much.</p>

<p>welcome mablab54! I try to keep up with this group but they’re like the zumba class I attend…always a step ahead, it seems! :slight_smile: </p>

<p>I wish I could go to the NYC get together, too! But I’ll be in San Francisco and then on to San Luis Obispo for S’s registration. I’ve seen some of you on Shutterfly but it would be so fun to meet! Someday…hey, if you’re ever in L.A…I think there are a few of us out here.</p>

<p>Last time I’ll post the list for awhile. I just finished up the last of my work at 10:30 pm. The taxi is picking us up at 4:45 am. I already told DH we have to hit a liquor store out there so we’ll be well-supplied! For the first week, we’ll be in a timeshare resort, in a separate room from the kids! Whoo hoo!</p>

<p>Take care, everyone, and keep this place running while I’m gone! :)</p>

<p>1sokkermom’s D – University of Scranton
1sttimemom’s D – George Washington
2education’s S – University of Virginia
2girls4me’s D – Swarthmore
AL34’s S – University of Alabama
alexahet – LSU
ALF’s S – Hampshire College
aliceinw’s S - Carleton
anothercrazymom’s S – William & Mary
applicannot - Stanford
archiemom’s S - Villanova