Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>Welcome, BBDad!</p>

<p>Alas, my ds and aliceinw’s ds aren’t roomies.</p>

<p>Hi, Brooklynborndad! If your D ever decides to switch to engineering, let me know!</p>

<p>brooklynborndad–your DD will surely have a wonderful year on Nativ! None of my kids did this, but many of our friends’ children did/are. Tell her to look for a couple of Cincinnati girls–one going into industrial design and the other one…I’m not sure. </p>

<p>The year off plus the 5 year program = a long UG tenure but in the long run it doesn’t matter and is worth it.</p>

<p>welcome BBDad, this is why we titled this thread 2014 and Beyond! Others in longer programs on here, plus I’m sure there will be gaps in process for some.</p>

<p>OK, here’s my best shot at an updated list. I’m sure I’ve missed some students, so let me know!</p>

<p>1sokkermom’s D – University of Scranton
1sttimemom’s D – George Washington
2education’s S – University of Virginia
2girls4me’s D – Swarthmore
AL34’s S – University of Alabama
alexahet – LSU
ALF’s S – Hampshire College
aliceinw’s S – Carleton
almar4’s S – University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
anothercrazymom’s S – William & Mary
applicannot - Stanford
archiemom’s S – Villanova
artloversplus’s D – University of Chicago
astromom’s D – Brown
austinmtmom’s D – Coastal Carolina
BCandBU82’s S – University of North Carolina
Bclintonk’s D – Haverford
BengalMom’s S – Pomona College
BerneseMtn’s S – University of Illinois – UrbanaChampaign
BlessedTwice’s S – Vanderbilt
boiledegg’s D – Kenyon
BonnieNewJersey-s D - Lafayette
Booklady’s S – University of Delaware
Brooklynborndad’s D - RPI
Bubbe’s GS - Harvard
CaliforniaDancer – Carnegie Mellon
Cecil’s S – Macalester
colorado<em>mom’s S - Northeastern
coskat’s D – University of Buffalo
CountingDown’s S - Tufts
curiousmother’s D – University of Virginia
donnagal’s S – SUNY Albany
DougBetsy’s S – Wake Forest
ELY’s S – University of Maryland
esobay’s S – University of California – Santa Barbara
FindAPlace’s S – Northwestern
Flinty’s D – William & Mary
FLVADAD’s D - Villanova
gotaplay2’s D – Cal Poly Pomona
GSharpM7’s D - Princeton
GTalum’s D – Williams
hopeful12345’s D – Princeton
hopeful2014’s S – University of Michigan
IloveLA’s D – Cal Berkeley
intouch1520’s D - Emerson
jackief’s D – University of Chicago
jc40’s D – University of Virginia
jingle’s S – University of Virginia
journey919’s D – Middlebury
Kajon’s S - Carthage
Keilexandra – Swarthmore
kindredspirit’s D – University of Pennsylvania
KYParent’s D – High Point University
Lafalum84’s D – Elon
L.A.Parent’s S - Brown
learninginprog’s S - Yale
LetsGoMets’s S – Columbia
lilmom’s S – Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
limabeans’ S – Washington University in St. Louis
LIMOMOF2’s D – Harvard
littlefalls’ S – University of Michigan
LoisHK’s S - Bennington
Mablab54’s D - NYU
MaineLonghorn’s S – University of Texas at Austin
mantori.suzuki’s S – Ole Miss
mathmom’s S - Tufts
mdemvizi – Ithaca
mimimomx3’s D - Rhodes
missemily516’s D – University of Redlands
mom2sons’ S2 – Pitzer
MomLive’s S – University of South Carolina
mommuisc’s S – University of Cincinnati
momof2inma’s D - Tufts
momof2men’s S - Brown
momof3sons’ S2 – Swarthmore
momof3sons’ S3 - Northwestern
momonthehill’s D – Boston University
motherbear332’s S – University of Chicago
mountaingoat’s D - Harvard
mpabon’s D – Loyola Chicago
MuppetMom’s D – Rice
musicmom26’s D – Columbus State
my2sunz’s S - Yale
neumes’ S - Carleton
nightchef’s S - Goucher
PAO2008’s D – Washington University in St. Louis
PaperChaserPop’s S – Caltech
PAVenturer’s D – University of Richmond
PAVenturer’s S – Millersville University + CC
parent56’s S – University of Alabama Birmingham
PayFor’s S – University of Chicago
Pengo’s S – Colgate University
PinotNoir’s S – University of Rochester
pixeljig’s S - University of Southern California
pmartin57’s D – Carleton
proudparents’ S – Rice
Psi’s S – Louisiana State
psychmom’s D – Vassar
pugmadkate’s S – Northeastern
qialah’s D – Oberlin
Queen’s Mom’s D – Bryn Mawr
redbug119’s D – Minneapolis College of Art and Design
RobD’s D – University of Alabama
robinsuesanders’ S – St. Olaf
rocket6louise – Smith
runnersmom’s niece - Emerson
sacchi’s S – Washington University in St. Louis
Sailorette’s D - Wellesley
scualum’s D – Scripps
sDonCC’s S - Grinnell
sewemma’s S – Wesleyan
shillyshally’s D – University of Virginia
showmom858’s D – Marymount Manhattan
somewhereinga’s D – University of Georgia
skier29’s S – Colorado College
SLUMOM’s S – Wheaton (MA)
standrews’ D - Dartmouth
SWTCAT’s D – University of Texas at Austin
tango91’s S – Yale
t-boneParent’s S - Northwestern
teenage</em>cliche - Smith
vballmom’s S – University of Redlands
veewhitty’s D – University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
vicariousparent’s D – Yale
want2babuckeye’s son – Ohio State University
WhirledPeas2u’s D – University of Central Florida
Youdon’tsay’s S - Carleton
zoosermom’s D – University of Delaware</p>

<p>Thanks, ML! This really helps.</p>

<p>That’s a lot of work! Thanks ML!</p>

<p>I just realized that I always look for my name on the list when it gets posted. Is that weird? I also just scan through the list to see all the college names…</p>

<p>Thanks for the updated list ML! </p>

<p>Welcome Brooklynborndad, it sounds like your daughter will have an exciting year!</p>

<p>momof3sons, My MIL made my son a quilt. She’s planning to give it to him when we are up visiting next week and then she will mail it down to us in NC. She’s planning to shrink it up into of those vacuum bags and then mail it in one of the one price postal boxes. This may work for your afghan also.</p>

<p>It looks like my son and I will go dorm shopping tomorrow when he gets home from work. We’re going to Kohls to use our 20% coupon before it expires. We’ll see what we come home with.</p>

<p>Okay, so I know the Northwestern U mascot is the Wildcat. So of course, the student orientation week for frosh is the Wildcat Welcome. Everything seems to be wild this, wild that. </p>

<p>I was going with the flow until the info came in the mail today about the “Wild Card.” This is the student ID for multiple uses, and can also be linked to US Bank for use as am ATM/Debit Card. Is it just me, or is the association of the word “Wild” with a spending card just a bit nerve jangling?</p>

<p>:cool: :cool:</p>

<p>My MIL made afghans for all six grandsons before they went off to college, with my S2 receiving the latest one last fall. They all got to pick their colors: S2’s favorite color is orange and for a while had Syracuse at the top of his list. Now he’s taking that orange and white afghan to a school whose colors are blue-and-white. No matter, he loves that fact that he has the traditional college afghan and he definitely plans to take it. MIL hopes to last long enough to make afghans for her only two granddaughters…but they’re ages 7 and 8. She’s thinking about getting started on them now and not worrying about school colors.</p>

<p>FAP, it’s a Wild Card at Villanova as well. Every time I hear it, I think we’ve hit the jackpot!</p>

<p>Elon’s mascot is the Phoenix. D has a sweatshirt that says ELON in large maroon letters, and sewn on the side of the N (vertically) in small gold letters it says “Phoenix.” She has lost track of the number of people who have said, “Elon is in Arizona? I thought it was in North Carolina.”</p>

<p>Wow, I guess I need to check in more than once a week.</p>

<p>Sewemma, let me add my belated condolences and hopes that your family is doing okay.</p>

<p>My daughter did finally get her AP scores, but only the ones from this past May. Somehow a space got inserted between two letters of her first name, so these scores did not link up with her scores from soph. and jr. years,. She had to call and get that straightened out, and the updated score report has yet to arrive either here or at her school. On another message board I heard of another student who had the same exact computer glitch. I don’t think it’s going to make a big difference to her registration because the senior year scores seemed to have given her the same credits she’d have gotten for all 3 years’ exams. It seems like a lot of credits: 2 math courses, 1 science + lab, 2 French, 2 history, and 1 English + 1 English exemption. She is gleefully contemplating a math-free semester.</p>

<p>We are in the ranks of those who do not know roommates or housing assignments yet, but she is to hear this Friday. (I’m sure, though, that she will not be rooming with the other W&M student on the master list above!) There are 4 other kids attending W&M from her high school, but only one other is a girl. </p>

<p>The e-bill was posted this morning and soon thereafter the financial aid was deducted, so we too have a temporary credit since full-year scholarships were applied against the first semester. That was a welcome surprise.</p>

<p>It’s fun to see what others are doing to prepare for departure – we don’t have any trips between now and Aug. 20 when she leaves, so there is plenty of time, but it’s good to keep your various suggestions and information in mind. I’m fairly sure that my daughter will be more likely to underbuy/underpack than to go overboard for the semester, but she could surprise us!</p>

<p>FAP - At Ithaca we have our ID card which is access to buildings and meal plans which have bonus bucks which you can spend on on-campus eatery. We then have ID Express which is linked to a debit account and can be used on some off-campus locations. </p>

<p>I have a roommate now! Its a girl I met on the networking site Ithaca has. Now I just need to wait for housing!</p>

<p>Since MLH did the work of putting together the list again, I figured that the least that I could do is recreate the distribution. Apologies in advance for any technical gliches (I think that this means PAVenturer at least).</p>

<p>A fine group of “children” we have.
It appears that the Wahoos have won the count.</p>

<p>Bennington 1<br>
LoisHK’s S</p>

<p>Boston University 1<br>
momonthehill’s D</p>

<p>Brown 3<br>
astromom’s D
L.A.Parent’s S
momof2men’s S</p>

<p>Bryn Mawr 1<br>
Queen’s Mom’s D</p>

<p>Cal Berkeley 1<br>
IloveLA’s D</p>

<p>Cal Poly Pomona 1<br>
gotaplay2’s D</p>

<p>Cal Poly San Luis Obispo 1<br>
lilmom’s S</p>

<p>Caltech 1<br>
PaperChaserPop’s S</p>

<p>Carleton 4<br>
aliceinw’s S
neumes’ S
pmartin57’s D
Youdon’tsay’s S</p>

<p>Carnegie Mellon 1<br>
CaliforniaDancer</p>

<p>Carthage 1<br>
Kajon’s S</p>

<p>Coastal Carolina 1<br>
austinmtmom’s D</p>

<p>Colgate University 1<br>
Pengo’s S</p>

<p>Colorado College 1<br>
skier29’s S</p>

<p>Columbia 1<br>
LetsGoMets’s S</p>

<p>Columbus State 1<br>
musicmom26’s D</p>

<p>Dartmouth 1<br>
standrews’ D</p>

<p>Elon 1<br>
Lafalum84’s D</p>

<p>Emerson 2<br>
intouch1520’s D
runnersmom’s niece</p>

<p>George Washington 1<br>
1sttimemom’s D</p>

<p>Goucher 1<br>
nightchef’s S</p>

<p>Grinnell 1<br>
sDonCC’s S</p>

<p>Hampshire College 1<br>
ALF’s S</p>

<p>Harvard 3<br>
Bubbe’s GS
LIMOMOF2’s D
mountaingoat’s D</p>

<p>Haverford 1<br>
Bclintonk’s D</p>

<p>High Point University 1<br>
KYParent’s D</p>

<p>Ithaca 1<br>
mdemvizi</p>

<p>Kenyon 1<br>
boiledegg’s D</p>

<p>Lafayette 1<br>
BonnieNewJersey’s D</p>

<p>Louisiana State 1<br>
Psi’s S</p>

<p>Loyola Chicago 1<br>
mpabon’s D</p>

<p>LSU 1<br>
alexahet</p>

<p>Macalester 1<br>
Cecil’s S</p>

<p>Marymount Manhattan 1<br>
showmom858’s D</p>

<p>Middlebury 1<br>
journey919’s D</p>

<p>Millersville University + CC 1<br>
PAVenturer’s S</p>

<p>Minneapolis College of Art and Design 1<br>
redbug119’s D</p>

<p>Northeastern 2<br>
colorado_mom’s S
pugmadkate’s S</p>

<p>Northwestern 3<br>
FindAPlace’s S
momof3sons’ S3
tboneParent’s S</p>

<p>NYU 1<br>
Mablab54’s D</p>

<p>Oberlin 1<br>
qialah’s D</p>

<p>Ohio State University 1<br>
want2babuckeye’s son</p>

<p>Ole Miss 1<br>
mantori.suzuki’s S</p>

<p>Pitzer 1<br>
mom2sons’ S2</p>

<p>Pomona College 1<br>
BengalMom’s S</p>

<p>Princeton 2<br>
GSharpM7’s D
hopeful12345’s D</p>

<p>Rhodes 1<br>
mimimomx3’s D</p>

<p>Rice 2<br>
MuppetMom’s D
proudparents’ S</p>

<p>RPI 1<br>
Brooklynborndad’s D</p>

<p>Scripps 1<br>
scualum’s D</p>

<p>Smith 2<br>
rocket6louise
teenage_cliche</p>

<p>St. Olaf 1<br>
robinsuesanders’ S</p>

<p>Stanford 1<br>
applicannot</p>

<p>SUNY Albany 1<br>
donnagal’s S</p>

<p>Swarthmore 3<br>
2girls4me’s D
Keilexandra
momof3sons’ S2</p>

<p>Tufts 3<br>
CountingDown’s S
mathmom’s S
momof2inma’s D</p>

<p>University of Alabama 2<br>
AL34’s S
RobD’s D</p>

<p>University of Alabama Birmingham 1<br>
parent56’s S</p>

<p>University of Buffalo 1<br>
coskat’s D</p>

<p>University of California @ Santa Barbara 1<br>
esobay’s S</p>

<p>University of Central Florida 1<br>
WhirledPeas2u’s D</p>

<p>University of Chicago 4<br>
artloversplus’s D
jackief’s D
motherbear332’s S
PayFor’s S</p>

<p>University of Cincinnati 1<br>
mommuisc’s S</p>

<p>University of Delaware 2<br>
Booklady’s S
zoosermom’s D</p>

<p>University of Georgia 1<br>
somewhereinga’s D</p>

<p>University of Illinois @ UrbanaChampaign 1<br>
BerneseMtn’s S</p>

<p>University of Maryland 1<br>
ELY’s S</p>

<p>University of Michigan 2<br>
hopeful2014’s S
littlefalls’ S</p>

<p>University of North Carolina 1<br>
BCandBU82’s S</p>

<p>University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill 2<br>
almar4’s S
veewhitty’s D</p>

<p>University of Pennsylvania 1<br>
kindredspirit’s D</p>

<p>University of Redlands 2<br>
missemily516’s D
vballmom’s S</p>

<p>University of Richmond 1<br>
PAVenturer’s D</p>

<p>University of Rochester 1<br>
PinotNoir’s S</p>

<p>University of Scranton 1<br>
1sokkermom’s D</p>

<p>University of South Carolina 1<br>
MomLive’s S</p>

<p>University of Southern California 1<br>
pixeljig’s S</p>

<p>University of Texas at Austin 2<br>
MaineLonghorn’s S
SWTCAT’s D</p>

<p>University of Virginia 5<br>
2education’s S
curiousmother’s D
jc40’s D
jingle’s S
shillyshally’s D</p>

<p>Vanderbilt 1<br>
BlessedTwice’s S</p>

<p>Vassar 1<br>
psychmom’s D</p>

<p>Villanova 2<br>
archiemom’s S
FLVADAD’s D</p>

<p>Wake Forest 1<br>
DougBetsy’s S</p>

<p>Washington University in St. Louis 3<br>
limabeans’ S
PAO2008’s D
sacchi’s S</p>

<p>Wellesley 1<br>
Sailorette’s D</p>

<p>Wesleyan 1<br>
sewemma’s S</p>

<p>Wheaton (MA) 1<br>
SLUMOM’s S</p>

<p>William & Mary 2<br>
anothercrazymom’s S
Flinty’s D</p>

<p>Williams 1<br>
GTalum’s D</p>

<p>Yale 4<br>
learninginprog’s S
my2sunz’s S
tango91’s S
vicariousparent’s D</p>

<p>Total Result 128</p>

<p>Hey, guys; just checking in after a very long, hot first day of orientation.</p>

<p>sewemma…I just wanted you to know you still have my heart and prayers. God bless you and your family during this very difficult time.</p>

<p>ML & GSharpM7…Y’all rock! Thanks for composing the lists; they’re VERY useful!</p>

<p>mdemvizi…Congrats on your roommate! Here’s wishing the two of you a very peaceful first year!</p>

<p>acm…I probably would have walked back with the toddler and smiled and said something to the effect of how glad I was to see there were parents watching him because I didn’t notice any (even though they weren’t). Maybe at the very least they would have paid closer attention. I’ve seen incidents like this too, and I agree – it’s VERY unsettling!</p>

<p>FindaPlace…I hope your S doesn’t have too “wild” of a time with his wildcard :D</p>

<p>BUandBC…D ordered her new pink NF Surge too. She used a NF in high school and even though she loves preppy totes like Tory Burch, she refuses to part with the quality/durability/ease of her NF backpack.</p>

<p>Brooklynborndad…Welcome! Sounds like your D is going to get a REAL education this year!</p>

<p>2education, ShillyShally, Curiousmother and Jingle…Thinking of you guys right now while I’m in VA. D’s at the dorm right now and is apparently having a great time.</p>

<p>RE: Tuition/Housing Bills – Does anyone else wish schools would allow you to pay in full by cc WITHOUT being assessed the service charge? The fee is more than the incentive/reward $ back we get from the credit card bank! :mad:</p>

<p>Long day tomorrow. Eating my way through VA (the food here is great – more restaurants per capita than NYC, or so we’ve been told); so I’m hitting the gym here at the hotel early tomorrow morning. Will check back later this week.</p>

<p>Sewemma - Please accept my somewhat belated (at least for this thread) condolences on the loss of your sister. I sent you a PM.</p>

<p>Brooklynborndad – My best friend’s D attended Native 3 years ago and had an amazing time. I’m sure it will be a wonderful adventure for your D. Also, my dad was also Brooklyn born. ;)</p>

<p>mdemvizi - I did order D the North Face Surge. Ebags had it on sale with free shipping. I also went through Ebates dot com to order it - there is a 8% rebate for ebags. Signing up is free.</p>

<p>D was home for less than 24 hours for her day off and the way it worked out I did not get to even explain about the backpack or show her a picture. Uh, more college stuff not done. And she won’t have another day off for at least 10 to 14 days. Her next day off is not assigned yet.</p>

<p>Apparently, D took her AP scores back with her. The envelope was left behind. I’m hoping she took the paper with her so she could call and make arrangements to get her scores sent to Wash U and NOT because she didn’t want us to see them. :rolleyes:</p>

<p> :sunny::sunny: A little under the weather today… trying to catch up with y’all.
sewemma - Continuing to think about you and I’m sending love and hugs to you and your family. Thank you for sharing your life with us. As kindredspirit said: “My appreciation for this wonderful community was further enhanced by the outpouring of support for you and your family. Thank you everybody for always remembering what is truly important.” </p>

<p>And speaking of kindredspirit…
♬♬ Happy Birthday to kindredspirit’s wonderful son! ♬♬ Thinking of you as your first baby celebrates a big milestone, kindredspirit. He is so blessed to have you for his mom! Sending him a virtual Long Island Tea.</p>

<p>jc40 - Glad you’re having good meetings so far. Fingers crossed for a good class schedule for your dear daughter. </p>

<p>PAO2008 - Waving! We have been checking out backpacks online and the North Face Surge looks really great. What color did you choose? I am sure your daughter will approve. If anyone prefers a messenger bag, I carry an amazing Timbuk2 Messenger bag and I can tell you that it is loaded full most days. I have had it for two years and it still looks brand new. </p>

<p>Welcome back, MaineLonghorn! It sounds like you had an amazing time. Thank you for the updated list. You rock!</p>

<p>Welcome back, Queen’s Mom! So glad you had a great time. </p>

<p>CaliforniaDancer - I’m glad you got to go to the baseball game with your dad. Sounds like fun!</p>

<p>KYParent - Sending you {{HUGS}}. It is hard to have a dear friend move away. My best friend moved to Switzerland when our kids were small. Luckily for me, they did not like living there and her husband was able to transfer back after a year. How nice to read about young people helping out. Way to go!</p>

<p>GSharpM7 - Glad to hear your daughter is accepting her dorm placement with grace. Love the turret reference! LOL. Thank you for the updated distribution list. </p>

<p>Fingers crossed for great housing, mdemvizi!</p>

<p>Re: tuition bills. I think my husband is paying monthly (the budget plan - hahaha) and has already paid some tuition. I better confirm this. Thanks for the reminder. LOL, kindredspirit, about the payments ending and celebrating Valentine’s Day. :heart: </p>

<p>anothercrazymom - I would have probably asked the kid where his parents were and then taken him back to his parents and said something. I am so used to teaching/disciplining/coaching kids that I don’t even think about it anymore. It’s easier said than done, but I have a lot of practice. Loved your post 1900 Lafalum84. :slight_smile: </p>

<p>Welcome, Brooklynborndad. Congratulations to you and your daughter. That sounds very interesting!</p>

<p>momof3sons - Oh, the afghans… the boys will be fighting over the yellow one! My dear mother knit a cream colored one for each of her children (5) and knit pink (7) and blue (3) ones for the grandchildren when they were born. </p>

<p>Good night, sleep well.</p>

<p>Working on :cool:.</p>

<p>Today I sent out a check for tuition, room and board for D’s first semester. I am still shaking from writing all those zeros.</p>