Parents of the HS Class of 2010 and college years beyond (Part 1)

<p>I’ve not heard any discussion of hookahing around here, but S’s friends are more likely to get together to play monopoly or watch an old movie at someone’s house (with parents around). So it might be happening in a different crowd?</p>

<p>No other real news on this end. My summer feels busy but not out of control. How long can that last?</p>

<p>welcome checkers!!</p>

<p>yds… thank goodness only a quick pan of me in the video…i have a hatred of having pics taken. i’ve been lucky so far, even on website i think only one pic. it was hard for me to post the family one at niagra on shutterfly LOL</p>

<p>son hasnt mentioned hookahing here either</p>

<p>I am not a hookah fan, but my MIL is! She’s half-Syrian, so when they went to an event and it featured hookah, she loved it. She bought one for their house. So I’ve learned a few things about it - the LEGAL versions of hookah, anyway:</p>

<p>1) Everyone gets their own mouthpiece to attach to the tube, so it’s not unsanitary.</p>

<p>2) You don’t inhale hookah smoke into your lungs - you just keep it in your mouth for the flavor, then exhale it. The whole point is supposed to be the flavor of the smoke in your mouth.</p>

<p>3) The stuff they put in the hookah - at least the stuff my MIL puts in - is flavored, almost like pieces of dried fruit, that burn slowly. All her flavors were some sort of fruit - I tried the apple. I really didn’t care for it.</p>

<p>My MIL is a nurse, and she had my 6 year old nephews doing hookah! Which made for some interesting photos… ;)</p>

<p>My son knew a few kids doing it in college - not sure what they were putting in their hookah, haha - but it didn’t interest him.</p>

<p>My overall impression is that hookah is fine to do occasionally. Like anything involving smoke, I wouldn’t advise doing it on a regular basis.</p>

<p>Hookah bars are very “in” right now among the under 21 crowd. D has gone to several. I think it is awful and D swears she doesn’t smoke (yeah, I know…but hey, I want to trust her).</p>

<p>Like lafalum84, I am not a fan. A one-time party probably isn’t a big deal. Going to the hookah bar was a big thing at D1’s school when she was a freshman a few years ago. I think they lost interest when the novelty wore off. Note that the health risks are no less than cigarettes and may be worse… see link! I do have some people from India with whom I work that occasionally go, but they are cigarette smokers too.</p>

<p>[Hookah</a> smoking: Is it safer than cigarettes? - MayoClinic.com](<a href=“http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hookah/AN01265]Hookah”>Hookah smoking: Is it safer than cigarette smoking? - Mayo Clinic)</p>

<p>laf, dh’s family is from the Middle East and has hookahs, but no one used them. They’re decorative at this point. Ds thinks it’s funny the hookah is part of his culture, and he has no interest whatsoever.</p>

<p>He was at a party with a hookah last week. I don’t think they practiced the sanitary method, and he said he didn’t know what was in their hookah. He left after about an hour.</p>

<p>I have friends with older kids who got into hookah at college. Hmmm, maybe they said hooker and I misunderstood! j/k</p>

<p>See that I crossposted w/others.</p>

<p>Welcome, checkersmidwest! :)</p>

<p>I’m so bummed I can’t see parent56’s video. It won’t play here at work. Must try when I get home.</p>

<p>As far as I know, there’s no hookahing in my kids’ circle of friends. I think I’ll bop over the WFU forum and look for any sign of it there.</p>

<p>Welcome back checkersmidwest! Sounds like you are in good shape for move-in day.</p>

<p>No hookahing buzz around here either…I’m thinking that’s a good thing.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Here’s hoping alice! ;)</p>

<p>No hookahing in Maine, at least that I know of. Substantial drug problem, though.</p>

<p>Don’t think hookah is a “thing” here in my area, although there is a hookah establishment adjacent to the Vanderbilt campus. My BFF growing up was Syrian & her Jidu (grandpa) had a hookah. I remember her showing us pics of him in the “old country” and we were all like “whoh, your Grandpa’s using a water pipe!” </p>

<p>I have to confess, I had to stay away from this thread from most of yesterday; D2 was on a pontoon boat for a b-day party & I was a nervous wreck since she’s not my strong swimmer (I was a meanie & told her & the party parent’s that she had to wear a life jacket) and all those awful stories about drownings were just making me imagine all kinds of horrible things. All was well, she had a great time & slept very well.</p>

<p>OMG, the top of ds’s closet is demoralizingly cluttered. I’m going to have to take this slow.</p>

<p>I’ve been to Lebanese restaurants with Hookah menus, never tried it but almost everyone I was with did. It just didn’t seem terribly appealing.</p>

<p>parent56 that video is stunning, she is a beautiful girl, the filmmaker captured such wonderful moments and the expressions on your son’s face, exquisite! As usual, I cried! </p>

<p>applicannot, Are you staying far from home? If so how about bringing a hostess gift that represents where you are from? i.e. somone from the Jersey Shore bringing Salt Water Taffy.</p>

<p>Welcome Checkers!</p>

<p>Played tennis this morning in the 95+ degree heat. I hope I sweated off a few pounds!</p>

<p>Pretty much everyone I know who goes to hookah bars regularly smoked cigarettes or pot before trying hookah. I dislike smoke, period, so I’ve never really been interested in it. Plus, all the ones they frequent aren’t hygienic or clean in general. I can understand it as a cultural thing, but for them it’s just a more legal version of sitting around with your friends smoking pot.</p>

<p>I started going through three weeks worth of mail today. Seriously, how does Target know I’ll be going to college in the fall? Or BB&B? Or anywhere else that sent me dorm shopping catalogues? Is there some secret system I just don’t understand at work?</p>

<p>That being said, I did find the minifridge I think I’ll get - <a href=“http://www.amazon.com/Emerson-Compact-Fridge-Erase-Door-2013Pink/dp/B00362668O[/url]”>http://www.amazon.com/Emerson-Compact-Fridge-Erase-Door-2013Pink/dp/B00362668O&lt;/a&gt;
Cheap, small, good reviews PLUS it has a dry erase board, which I otherwise would get separately. Looks good to me :)</p>

<p>teenage: That’s what is sounds like to me! And I forgot to say, “WELCOME BACK!” :)</p>

<p>tc, Wonderful news about your living arrangements at Smith!</p>

<p>Parent56, I cried, too! Thank you for sharing that. Your DIL is very talented, I wish I had a big event in Seattle coming up just so i could hire her. The sweetest thing is the way they look at each other, very touching.</p>

<p>Welcome, Checkers!</p>

<p>KS, How cool that your newphew is also going to NEU! </p>

<p>I’ve read about how Hookah bars are getting popular but have not seen one in the area. I’ll have to ask my son about it. I seriously doubt he would have done that in high school simply because he and most of his friends were big into musical theater and were careful with their “instrument.” The only party he was ever at where the cops were called (that we know about, of course) was due to a noise complaint from a neighbor. Turns out the kids (& several parents) were belting showtunes at the top of their lungs way past the noise curfew! </p>

<p>Mr PMK and I are still laughing about that one.</p>

<p>PMK: And I think my nephew is in a 5 year Co-op program…I think I remember your S is too? My nephew is pursuing engineering/computer science.</p>

<p>t_c, my parents are getting a ton of mail for DS since we put his name on their house title! Lots of things addressed to, “New Homeowner.” So of course it’s obvious why HE’S getting mail. We haven’t gotten any advertising mail like you have, though.</p>

<p>thanks for all the comments on the video (was worried i was still posting stuff). i think the looks they share with each other say it all!</p>

<p>pmk…she’ll travel LOL, she just did a wedding in cancun!</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>This is a fantastic idea. Of course I’d love to bring some MD Blue crab but that’s not going to happen. I will try to think of something soon.</p>