Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

Congrats @RightCoaster on UVt

Let the good times roll! Or slide. or shush! :))

Are people still getting decisions today? Our Transcripts were only showing complete on November 1, any chance we will here today or are we waiting another 5 weeks? Itā€™s my Dā€™s number 1 school,

Hi @Spebo2016 What school?

UVM, I thought this was only UVM, my mistake/

Congrats on your sonā€™s first acceptance, @rightcoaster! You knew he was going to college somewhere, but having an acceptance in-hand makes it very real!

Great concept for online portal consistency. I recall that D15ā€™s URochester portal could not be accessed through chrome - I had to use internet explorer. Such a pain.

@payn4ward I always click on the emails from his target schools - who knows what they are tracking!

@snoozn The bullying was at another school, with 1500+ HS students.
Our school is tiny so fortunately no such bullying.
I grew up in very backward non-inclusive way as well :)) But we still played outside past dark and parents did not worry about where we were. :)) Bullying stopped past HS because they did not make into HS :))

Iā€™m finally caught up after my work deadlines being complete. (I finished the project, Yay!) It was hard to go back and read so many the hopeful posts about ā€œI votedā€ from early Tuesday.

Welcome to our latest batch of delurkers, and Iā€™m loving all the shiny new avatars. @jmek15 Thatā€™s a lovely crepuscular ray, a term I learned when DS was agonizing of whether to take it out of an essay. He loved the word, but several people told him it sounded too much like he was digging things out of a thesaurus (which he wasnā€™t).

DS17 flew to New York City last night for a hacking competition/conference. (I am glad that the NY branch of the FBI isnā€™t on the sponsor list, because I have something against them.) DS spent some of today with a ā€œfriend who is a girlā€ from his summer program. I recently got a message from him that said, ā€œFinished hanging out; neither of us is dead.ā€ OK, maybe mom communicated her worry a bit too much. They decided to hang out in Brooklyn instead of going to Central Park as planned because of protests last night at a certain tower nearby.

The schools here have been supportive of students. DS21 is transgender and worried. But, we tell him that our state will protect the rights of its citizens. All three local high schools had student walkouts on Wednesday. DS couldnā€™t join his schoolā€™s which walked the 4 miles to UCSB to join their rally, because he had to bike to the same place for a math test. He was bummed that the event was over by the time the test ended.

Huge congrats @RightCoaster !!!

Sorry about the PK loss.

S has NY State semi finals tomorrow evening. Lot of tension in the house tonight.

@itsgettingreal17 Son dropped AP Macro this year. We told almost every school.

@bigMACguyver I am truly so excited for you and D17. Congrats!

@rightcoaster Bummer! Sorry about the game.

@phoenixmomof2 Right there with you on reminding S17 that if his EA schools deferred him these grades would count. Heā€™s so ready for a break. The college counselor said the transcripts for RD will have these first trimester grades so Iā€™m thinking all bets are off even if he is deferred from his EA schools.

@MichiganGeorgia No grades entered for 5 weeks? that would make me crazy! Is there an administrator that can inquire about this?

@bigMACguyver Congrats on MichSt award! And good luck with the Scholars weekend. @RightCoaster Congrats on Univ.of Vermont. Great news! Sorry about the soccer loss after getting so close. Ugh. Good luck tomorrow night @STEM2017. Nice to have such events to focus on as a break from the college turmoil.

@itsgettingreal17 I think it does get reported to colleges by the college counselor on the mid-year report or one of those documents that is under the counselor section. Since your S17 is just switching to another course of the same level the counselor may say itā€™s not an update that needs to be made but something to confirm so it doesnā€™t cause a problem down the road.

@RightCoaster great news on the first of hopefully many acceptances!

One local school walked out (as part of a larger protest) but I think that is it. A fair amount of support at the school and no bullying issues that Iā€™ve heard of at the school but my news feed is full of horrible stories all over the country of kids telling other kids to pack their bags, racist graffiti, horrible things. and it all gets twisted. There was a shooting during the protest that was completely unrelated to the protest and yet the media has tied it all together. Heartsick beyond measure.

@MichiganGeorgia I feel your pain, we have that issue in a few of S17 and S19ā€™s classes. Quarter ends today, I think they get till EOD tomorrow to get stuff in but itā€™s SO frustrating to not really know where things stand,

@RightCoaster I have the same issue with my phone, it drives me nuts (autocorrect/autofill and the lack of ability to edit later).

@RightCoaster @bigMACguyver Congratulations on the wonderful news!! This will encourage my D to try one last time in Dec to bring her ACT score up for more $$.

Some good news from Pitt. Dā€™17 was offered the guaranteed admission to the OT program.

The requirements to maintain the guarantee are rather steep, 3.6 GPA; still, it is good news.She also got the letter notifying her of eligibility for honors college courses and housing.

Onward and upwardā€¦

Congrats @Dave_N! We may fill the entire Pitt class of 2017 with just this thread.

Congratulations, @Dave_N

Is the GPA requirement accumulated? If so, thatā€™s more achievable.

@Dave_N ā€” fantastic! Such a competitive program and a bright future ahead of her.

Yes, it is cumulative. But itā€™s probably a little bit like a med school guarantee. If you keep the guarantee, you are a competitive candidate for the program.