Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

It’s so wonderful to see all of the acceptances!

I’ve never been more grateful that we moved. Our former school was in my small hometown, in a county that voted 75% in favor of Trump. This HS doesn’t seem to have a record of either racism or homophobia, which is reassuring. However, neither of my daughters are cis-gendered. My D1 is the director of her college’s LGBTQ+ group and I’m a bit worried about the rumblings she and her friends have heard this week on campus. I don’t want the current atmosphere to be a factor in where D2 decides to go, but I think it will be.

@Dave_N That is huge! Congrats!!!

Excellent news @Dave_N <:-P

@Dave_N Congrats to your D!! Great accomplishment!

@Dave_N Congrats!

Great news @Dave_N <:-P Congrats!!

@Dave_N, she would probably need a similar GPA to be competitive for open admission to OT schools, and she would have to apply/interview at several schools which can be costly and time consuming.

Congratulations @Dave_N ! <:-P <:-P

No mail today! :((

It would be a good day to go through your Spam folder.

Congrats the @RightCoaster and @Dave_N and anyone else with acceptances/scholarships and good news.

The D has had time off from applying the last few weeks due to end of term projects and major midterm exams but today is a day off and it’s essays, essays and more essays. She has the Chancellor for Pitt in which she only has to qrite 1 new essay out of the 3. Then she has 2 12/1 deadlines for BU and USoCal. She at least has drafts for those but it would nice to get them done before Thanksgiving as we’ll be traveling.

Yesterday we had ONE piece of mail in the mailbox (a Dell Catalog). No college stuff. No election stuff. It felt cleansing :slight_smile:

And just when I quit my nagging and let D take control of the apps left, sure she was bailing on the EA one due 11/10, she proved me wrong. Called me last night at 11:30 pm from NY (her flight had just landed) asking me to please login to the CA and hit submit for her. She had completed the final writing supplements on the flight! Maybe it was the lone acceptance to mom’s pick that she doesn’t really want to attend that motivated her.

Nothing like waiting until the very last minute :slight_smile: (technically it was submitted at 12:47 am on 11/11 EST - but I am hoping since it was 11:47 in our time zone and 10:47 in the schools time zone it won’t miss the deadline - if so, so be it)

AND - when I was in the CA I saw that her final LOR from the teacher on leave was finally submitted yesterday!!!

Semi-Final soccer game for D19 today at 2pm. We are so excited here.

@Dave_N - Congrats!

Another week goes by and 8 portals with no changes. I thought it would be less stressful than this! :frowning:

@Dave_N and @RightCoaster Congratulations!!!

Did I mention that D21 is also applying to high schools? Today is her final campus visit day and interview. D17 is on a Skype interview for scholarship consideration right now. Make it stop, please!

Spam has trickled off except for Swarthmore, which has suddenly started showing D17 the love. Very nice brochures on heavy stock recycled paper printed with soy inks, witty writing, pretty pictures. So far D is unmoved but I give it even odds that she changes her mind in late December.

Can a portal status get any worst than this?

I hope they give decisions by then! :open_mouth:

Well, ours says continue to check so they can’t complain if I check it three times a day or cause DOS =))

I think we are winning the race to the first change in Major. :smiley: MichSt has one of their LLCs listed as a ‘major’ on the application (because it is actually degree-granting). Anyway, we meant to select this on the initial application, but forgot, and just selected her ‘real’ major choice. Their portal allows a change to your ‘major’ once you’ve been accepted because you aren’t admitted to a major, in reality. So, she is making her first ‘major’ change of her college career! (at a school she may not attend, but that’s another matter)

We also spent 1 1/2 hours videoing her this morning playing 5 piano pieces for an arts supplement. That was painful! She finally got through most of them without (major) mistakes. :smiley: She’s not a music major, so I think she did fine. It can only help her overall app, I think.

@bigMACguyver ugh!!! We need to do that for S and I am dreading it. Fun (not) holiday project.

Those who visited IU-B and stayed overnight, where did you stay?

@eandesmom - I don’t want to rock the boat so I’m no going to inquire. Two assignments were entered yesterday so now we have only 3 weeks of work not entered… He has a ‘B’ but I’m still concerned. Ugh.