Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

@itsgettingreal17 so sorry for your DD. :frowning:

@itsgettingreal17 So sorry for DD. =(( Hugs

It is snowing! < < <
Looks like it wonā€™t stay long though. By Saturday is another golf day weather.

Bummer @itsgettingreal17 but Im sure something better will come along.

QOTD2: @Stem2017 I would not wait for the financial aid package. I only say this because this was a topic discussed by some AOs at a panel that visited S17s school last spring. The example given was a student who received a financial aid package that was not going to be sufficient for the student to attend the school. The mom then called and spoke to the school and said that they could not afford to send their daughter there because their financial situation had changed and they were waiting to see the financial aid package. The AO said that if that parent had contacted them earlier they could have made it work but because they didnā€™t, it was too late to re-work the financial aid package.

With that said, I think you have to find the right time for each college and Iā€™m not sure when that is as I think each school might handle financial aid at different times and you want to get on it before itā€™s too late. Probably want to call the schools and get a contact and ask them when you should be in touch with them to discuss your situation. I hate giving financial information needlessly and Iā€™m sure you donā€™t want to provide information to a school that isnā€™t offering an acceptance yet.

Okay - reaching out to my friends in CO - planning to visit CSM in mid-January - recommendations on places to stay? @payn4ward; @snoozn ; @colorado_mom

@Motiv8tedmom23 My son applied to Umass Amherst 10/31 as well. He hasnā€™t received a user ID yet to check status. Is that the same for you?

My son applied to Umass in early October and has had a portal log in for weeks now @katniss1 . You might want to check to make sure they have received everything.

@Motiv8tedmom23 - I also live in CO within 60 minutes of CSM. I would recommend based on what your plans are. Are you planning on visiting any other schools? CU Boulder is pretty close. Are you planning on making a weekend of it? Skiing?

@jpc763 - sorry - I forgot you were also from CO! Just CSM for schools - plan to fly in Thursday; visit CSM Friday; Visit area (not sure about skiing this time - but possibly - we are sort of new skiers) on Saturday and fly home on Sunday. It will be just DH; S17 and myself.

Heading out in the morning to visit a school with my son. They are recruiting him for lax and they put together a nice itinerary for him Fri-Sat. Looks fun, wish I could partake. Iā€™m just dropping him off and checking into a hotel. Not as much fun. Son17 is happy though, I think itā€™s good for his confidence and mental well being, even if he decides not to go there.
When we get back we have a few school days, then off for Turkey break. Then we come home and some decisions should be coming and anxiety levels increase.
Serenity now.

@carachel2 We did go visit Pitt but we didnā€™t schedule our Pitt visit until we were there because we didnā€™t get the CMU schedule until a couple of days before we went. Admissions was very nice and accommodating and told us to head on over. We had a personal tour with two students and met with an AO. S17s app was already submitted and complete. We didnā€™t meet with any professors or department chairs. We just wanted to get a feel for the school.

Best of luck to your S @RightCoaster! Iā€™m sure heā€™ll have a blast.

@Motiv8tedmom23 Dever West Marriott (1717 Denver W Dr, Golden, CO 80401) is a short drive (5 miles) from Mines. There are other national chains nearby as well (Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn Express, etc) I hope the weather is better during your visit! If the weather is good, you should driver up to Boulder and wander around Pearl street. I would also visit Red Rocks Amphitheater visitor center. Drive carefully though.

@Motiv8tedmom23 - No problem. I am new and donā€™t have a ton of posts. Golden is a very cool town with the school and Coors Brewery but not a lot of lodging right in town. There is a Holiday Inn Express in Golden within 3 miles of campus. I would probably stay at the Denver West Marriott right off I-70 (I am a Marriott rewards member). Is there a hotel brand you are partial to?

Both of which Iā€™ve done (well, not called on the first one, but got in contact with) as faculty at medium- and large-sized public universities.

That sort of thing is really all about the individual faculty member, not the institution as a whole.

@picklesarenice - Donā€™t worry about iDoc. The colleges know that College Board takes a while to ā€œclearā€ uploaded documents. My first batch of easy uploads (1040, etc) was done on 11/1 and ā€œclearedā€ within a day. Iā€™m sure it was because I was on the early end. Then on 11/5 (a weekend), I uploaded a few more documents and it took 10 days for them to be ā€œclearedā€. It happens! There are a lot of us uploading documents, trying to meet deadlines.

@payn4ward and @jpc763 - Thank you! It sounds like you are both in agreement on Marriot - We have a couple of Rewards memberships, I know Hampton - which I believe is part of Hilton - and Iā€™m pretty sure we had Marriot at one point - will check on that. Being from New England - we are used to snowy/icy conditions in the winter so will be careful with driving - sounds like there will be lotā€™s to choose from for activities on Saturday! :smiley:

@katniss1, D17 just got her portal information todayā€“application was submitted 10/31. The confirmation email she got when she submitted said the portal information would be sent in two weeksā€“weā€™re just a little past that now. I bet you get something soon.

D got an acceptance today for Siena College in NY, along with $19K/year in merit. Weā€™ve now heard from both of the safeties she applied EA. The merit is $2K/year more than what the NPC showed, so that was a nice bonus (keeps COA in line with in-state public, which Iā€™m sure is all part of their diabolical plan).