Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

@CT1417 and @kt1969 The Naviance change is very upsetting. There is a “What do you think of the new look?” survey available at the top of the new screen. Please take the time to fill it out and let them know what you think.

Yes - same for us with Naviance - hate it!! I just filled out the survey @STEM2017

What was the School Stats page? And is that the only change, other than format?

School Stats page was a very detailed spreadsheet like page with many layers of data. All the data was specific to your high school. It gave a great picture of you student’s chances at that specific college. Now its gone. The graph remains, but the stats page was much more detailed and useful. It was the ONE thing that made Naviance unique and useful.

Our Naviance remains the same, for now at least.

@CaucAsianDad Finally, a fun JOTD, I’ve been waiting, thank you!

Off to check Naviance!!! be back…

@mtrosemom – then screenshot any pages you want to be able to view. The data is all gone!!

I am also missing the links that showed Overlap. Again, not needed now, but very useful when beginning the search.

@STEM2017 --filling out my survey now!

Also, school stat page broke out ED vs RD rates, GPA & SAT scores, including lowest & average. This allowed me to discount for our large population of recruited athletes (estimating somewhat). Makes the scattergrams more misleading now.

A HS can elect which data points they want presented on the scattergram, and I have seen schools that did not use the stats page, but they provided a much more detailed scattergram. Our school has retained the old format of their scattergram but is now missing the supplemental info provided on stats page. (Not blaming the school as I imagine they had no input.)

Naviance: same here! :frowning:

Naviance - yep they did a Microsoft. So here 's what I’ve found. You can get the CID of the College and put it at the end of this link to get the old Stats page:

https://connection.naviance.com/family-connection/colleges/college/view-stats/?cid=

e.g https://connection.naviance.com/family-connection/colleges/college/view-stats/?cid=5816 for UNC-CH

To get the CID just go the the College I’m Applying To or Thinking About list and hover the mouse over the College Name/Link and you’ll see the URL with the CID at the end.

@Dolemite Genius!

But I hope they change it back.

@Dolemite --OK, that was cool how the URLs you posted opened to the old stats page, but I cannot get the hover thing to work to send me to reveal the URLs I want to view. Perhaps I should try another browser first…

@CT1417 I use Firefox. You can try right-mouse clicking and choosing something like “Copy Link Location” and then open a text editor and paste into the text editor and you should see the URL.

@Dolemite --THANK YOU for trying to help me. I don’t even know what a text editor is, other than recalling that older son had to use for his CA essay during the CA debacle of Fall 2013. The young techie will be home this afternoon and I will get him involved.

No luck in Safari or Chrome, and I don’t think I have resorted to installing Firefox on this computer.

@CT1417 Text Editor = Microsoft Word

@CT1417 If there is a specific school (or schools) you are looking for, feel free to PM me and I’ll give you the CID

Just checked out Naviance. Thankfully we don’t really need it anymore. Our school only uses it really to keep track of the school stats… We don’t use it to update information.

I agree why roll this out in the middle of application season. Why not over the summer?

@Dolemite Thanks for the hint.

AGH! OK, I finally figured it out. No CID appearing for me in Safari, but I just noticed that it does appear at the very bottom of the page (lower left corner) in Chrome. Woo Hoo!

Thank you @STEM2017 & @Dolemite for your patience and assistance.

@STEM2017 --I didn’t realize that Word is a text editor. I must be thinking of something else then as my older son had to use some text something when trying to get his CA essay to upload three years ago during the CA debacle.

I am going to screenshot all of this info before it is taken down!

OK… I see they removed looking at the information in a normal way, a graph. And made it “cutsie”. Clicking on Admissions tab gets you some of that information. And if you scroll all the way to the bottom a “prettier” graph that is improved in some way. Ie… it does show it in more details. Now that I’ve send them a nasty review… via their survey I would probably upgrade it a bit.

Do check the admissions tab and scroll all the way to the bottom. I think most of the information is still there. Just put in a less clear cut way. Average GPA/SAT is shown on the graph.

Of course, some of us don’t even get the dumbed-down version of Naviance… :frowning:

@CT1417 For those of us that code… Word is a overblown text editor. It’s a lot more than a text editor and for simple things that this overkill. BUT WORD works just fine. And if it’s what you know & understand then it does what you need it to do.

When I think of a TextEditor – think Notepad on a PC or TextEdit app on a MAC. For things such as this I use TextWrangler or Notepad++, and I still use VI on a linux machine. One of these are likely what your son uses.