Parents of the HS Class of 2017 (Part 1)

Awesome @stem2017. Now I am going to haunting the mailbox. At least dd gave me permission to open her mail while she is in Moscow!!

Congrats @STEM2017!! There will be lots of college talk at this year’s Thanksgiving dinner. :slight_smile:

Congratulations to everyone who is already done! Job well done! :wink:

Great news @STEM2017 <:-P

For anyone who is interested in CBH, they have their LIVE presentation topics and schedule posted.
https://live.cbhp.ua.edu/schedule.php

@dfbdfb - ughhh. So frustrating. We have not experienced that yet - something new to look out for.

@STEM2017 - congrats on the USC acceptance!!! I really wanted D to apply and “I” loved it - she really liked it as well until her friend complained about how many essays they required. She dropped it off of her list. We never really found out if they required many essays or not but for D that was enough of a dealbreaker. I wish she was getting that large envelope tonight!

D is in at USCar for pre-international business with a vaguely worded scholarship that will be for in-state tuition plus.

Now hoping for top scholars invite.

Congrats to all those getting good news! Special congrats to all of the kids/parents who are done!!!

D’17 also got some news over the weekend. She received her merit award from Pitt, 15K per year with an invitation to apply for the Chancellor’s Scholarship. While extremely generous, it is probably not enough to make Pitt viable if she doesn’t get the Chancellor’s, a lottery long shot. It also has three more somewhat tough essays to be completed in three weeks. With 2-3 years of grad school, 15K of merit against 40K COA would lead our family to undergrad debt.

What a difference three years makes! S’14 had virtually identical stats and was awarded full tuition. I hate to think 2 B+'s makes the difference. I may be a helicopter parent, but you will not hear me complaining about a 3.94 UW GPA. The pool must be super competitive this year. C’est la vie. First world problems indeed.

Onward and upward

Congrats to son of @STEM2017 !! Woot! Just in time for the holidays too <:-P No pants Nation

Congrats to to @itsgettingreal17 !! Yesssss!

Bummer to @Dave_N, hope it works out and she gets some more dough.

@itsgettingreal17 and @STEM2017 When did your kids submit their application to USC? Dd didn’t finally hit submit until mid-October and sent in an updated resume for honors after she made the US team. I wasn’t even looking for anything from them b/c I thought announcements didn’t come out until Dec, but since both of you have received something, I wonder if it it is all their early decisions (amazing since apps weren’t even due until the 6 days ago!!) or if they are releasing in a rolling pattern.

First result / acceptance!! IU/Bloomington. (The app was submitted fairly recently, on 10/29.)

Even though this isn’t her first choice - it feels really good to get an acceptance!!! At least for me
 :slight_smile:

I wonder when we would hear if she won any scholarship money?

(Also note - I only found out about the result by checking the portal. Supposedly they’ll send an email within a week
)

Way to go D of @thshadow !! Yay <:-P Hope she gets a bundle of cash!

@Mom2aphysicsgeek D barely beat the buzzer on USCar and used the weather-related extension. At the top scholars dinner they said all EA applicants would hear at the same time. I even had the date notated on my spreadsheet and it was a December date so this was surprising.

@Mom2aphysicsgeek UofSCar app was submitted on July 26.

Edit: changed date to July 26

Weird happening today - D received an email congratulating her on committing to attend. Huh? Someone sent out the wrong emails. :))

@thshadow - Congrats on the first acceptance! It is a relief to get one in hand.

@thshadow Congrats!!! D waited a couple of weeks for scholarship/honors letter. Then more waiting for direct admit.

@Dave_N Sorry about Pitt. I’m shocked at this year’s awards. And with the deadline approaching, it looks like there will be fewer scholarships awarded in addition to smaller amounts. :frowning:

Congratulations @STEM2017 @itsgettingreal17 @thshadow ! <:-P <:-P

Sorry to @Dave_N Hope better options appear soon.

D is now only waiting for 3 more decisions (out of 16) and then we begin the long wait for merit awards.